Sun roof or rear window (auto slider) leaks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Aziz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Greetings,

After a few weeks of seeing the interior windows of my 08 Ram (Big Horn Quad Cab), fog up when the summer rains would start here in Tampa, and smelling a musty aroma inside the cab, I was puzzled because I did not find anything wet inside the cab.

I went to lift the rear seats yesterday and found that both of them were locked in the down position and would not release when I attempted to lift them.

I was finally able to get the seats lifted after several attempts. The hinges had rusted!

It turns out that the concealed storage bins beneath the rear seats were both filled with water. And it wasn't Rocky mountain Spring water...

I vacuumed it out and hit it with carpet shampoo and left the windows open to allow damp carpet to dry. It looks and smells better and I think I averted a potential disaster.

What I can not figure out is where the water came from. The rear window has not been left open and the Sun Roof is not leaking.

There is no other location inside the cab where I have seen any problems.

The 08 has been parked outside my carport for the last few months since I bought my 19 Ram.

The 08 has not been in the carport and the ground over which it is parked has been soaked with the incredible amount of rain we get in summer here.

Anyone else ever experienced mysterious accumulation of water in this location?

Thank you.

XD_Dan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It may be coming from the opening of your 3rd brake light. The gasket around the plastic housing is not great.
There are a few posts on here where members have shown different fixes.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
If you have a rear power sliding window, there are drain holes in the track that get clogged. YouTube has vids of how to clean them. Also, could be the cab vents behind the rear panel leaking, both the slider and one of the vents were leaking on mine. Gl.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Aziz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you!

I have found a couple of YouTube vids showing both the Brake light issue as well as the clogged weep holes in the track of the sliding sliding rear window as being the source of this problem.

Also occurs in Ford F series trucks. That isn't surprising since the technology for these features is not proprietary to the truck manufacturers.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Aziz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have a rear power sliding window, there are drain holes in the track that get clogged. YouTube has vids of how to clean them. Also, could be the cab vents behind the rear panel leaking, both the slider and one of the vents were leaking on mine. Gl.

Didn't even know I had Cab Vents!

As mentioned in previous comment, I just learned about the weep holes.

Thanks! I'll check into the vents as well.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Didn't even know I had Cab Vents!

As mentioned in previous comment, I just learned about the weep holes.

Thanks! I'll check into the vents as well.
If our look between the cab and bed you’ll see them, you access them by removing the rear panel. On a quad cab you’ll have to take the seat out to get the panel off iirc.