Superchips Flashpaq tune, and the Ram Tow/Haul button?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a Superchips Flashpaq F5 and I really like the difference it made on my 2011 4.7. I'm currently using the 87 tune which is great, but it says not recommended for towing. That makes sense of course, but my question is what if I use the 87 tune, but also engage the Ram Tow/Haul button when I tow our camper? Does that make towing with the 87 tune work fine? I'm not sure if the Superchips tow tune changes shift points or not, but the Tow/Haul button does.

During the spring/summer, we tow our 5,000 lb when fully loaded camper up to once per month, and I don't know if it's better to keep changing the tune back and fourth between the tow tune and the 87 tune, or leave it in 87 and just use the Tow/Haul button like I always did before the Superchips. It's not a big deal to switch to the Tow tune, but I also don't know if there's any risk to changing the tune that often.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I'd just leave it in tow tune. It won't hurt anything. Your shifts will Just hold Alittle longer at a small sacrifice of fuel consumption.

OP
OP
Ocelot

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd just leave it in tow tune. It won't hurt anything. Your shifts will Just hold Alittle longer at a small sacrifice of fuel consumption.

Thanks - I wasn't sure how the Superchips changes the shift points in tow tune and if it did, would the Ram's tow/haul button override that, add to it, or do something weird.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it says not recommended for towing I'd follow that. I'm sure it messes with fueling and timing, and flashing the tow tune seems like it would take less time than having an engine issue while towing.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
You should always tow in tow mode on the truck. It changes shift points. It's basically a second factory tune for the truxk just for towing I think it would add to it. I had mine tuned for 87 octane and towed a 12,500 lb trailer with it no problem.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You should always tow in tow mode on the truck. It changes shift points. It's basically a second factory tune for the truxk just for towing I think it would add to it. I had mine tuned for 87 octane and towed a 12,500 lb trailer with it no problem.
I agree but that's not what OP is asking. They're asking if an 87 tune that says not recommended for towing can be used to tow if they use the tow/haul button, or if they should flash over to the separate tow tune. I am recommending flashing over to the approved tow tune and not assuming the tow/haul button overrides the recommendation from the tuner not to tow with the 87 tune they have.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I agree but that's not what OP is asking. They're asking if an 87 tune that says not recommended for towing can be used to tow if they use the tow/haul button, or if they should flash over to the separate tow tune. I am recommending flashing over to the approved tow tune and not assuming the tow/haul button overrides the recommendation from the tuner not to tow with the 87 tune they have.
That's what I alelready said above flash to tow tune and leave it there. The fuel cost between the tunes will be barely noticeable and you won't be flashing it all the time BUT use your tow haul button while towing as well.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's what I alelready said above flash to tow tune and leave it there. The fuel cost between the tunes will be barely noticeable and you won't be flashing it all the time BUT use your tow haul button while towing as well.
Ah I misread your advice as just using the button, not flashing back. In that case,
2597e9987cc404d5f82797731--billy-madison-tv-quotes.jpg

Sillygoose

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
leave it on the 87 tune, use the tow mode and the highest octane gas you can get when towing

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Personally, I would call Superchips and talk directly to their Tech Support. I would keep detailed notes on the conversation. They know FAR more about their tune parameters than anyone else will: for instance, on an 87 tune by them, does running 91 Octane help or hurt, does towing or not affect that. What does the 87 tune do to the factory tow haul settings, if anything. If nothing, why do they supply a seprate 87 Tow tune. Will engaging tow haul button make the 87 tune tow compatible. Do they have an 89 and or 91 Tune for towing etc.

Last edited: