Suspension upgrades going in tomorrow!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tsunamilogan05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After having all my parts I'm the garage for almost two years waiting on my tires to nearly go bald I'm installing my upgrades tomorrow!

Upgrades:
-285/65/20 terra grappled g2s
-Bedlined mevotech ucas
-Bilstein 5100s front/rear (debating on 2.1 or 2.8 setting)
-SDtruckSpring 25% load increase rear springs

I'll post pics once done! Going on my '14 blacked out 4x4 crew cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
After having all my parts I'm the garage for almost two years waiting on my tires to nearly go bald I'm installing my upgrades tomorrow!

Upgrades:
-285/65/20 terra grappled g2s
-Bedlined mevotech ucas
-Bilstein 5100s front/rear (debating on 2.1 or 2.8 setting)
-SDtruckSpring 25% load increase rear springs

I'll post pics once done! Going on my '14 blacked out 4x4 crew cab.

I could not have waited that long lol!

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
WOW, that there is some patience bud! I turned off the TC and let the Hemi help "speed up" the process for me :favorites13:

TheFactor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have the patience of a saint lol . Congrats man!
Post some pictures up after the install if you can

OP
OP
tsunamilogan05

tsunamilogan05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Appreciate it guys. Just patient because this isn't my first truck modding and spent a lot of money before on the other truck and would always change my mind lol. Trying to avoid that again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tsunamilogan05

tsunamilogan05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the measurements were 36.5 on the front and 39.5 in the rear. After everything to include the tires I'm at 39.5 in the front and 40.5 in the rear. Nearly sits level and looks dang beefy. I'll post pictures tomorrow! :)

R6rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm a new to the forum, I apologize if I am out of line with posting questions to your post. I registered specifically to follow your post and ask you some questions based on what you are doing. I hope to see photos tomorrow if all goes well for you. Wish you luck!

1) Do you HAVE to replace the Upper Control Arm when you do a suspension lift like you are doing?

2) I have been reading older posts the last couple of days as I start to plan to level my truck after this winter (totally agree with how you had patients to do things right). Would like to know if what I have been seeing in older information is correct, that if I decided to just do a Bilstein 5100 install (2.1 setting) in front (no spacers) is it necessary to replace the upper control arm, newer posts seem to be saying that the ball joints will pop out eventually if you don't, is this true? I have been reading a lot online mostly 2013 and 2014 forums and videos and people where just putting on the Bilstein strut and not replacing or saying anything about the upper control arm, and as I continue to research more recent info, late 2014 and early 2015, sounds like replacing the UCA is absolutely necessary?. Thanks Sorry for the long post, I will work on it.

R6rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh, and by the way, like I said I am just researching and don't know much about lifts, I did my 2005 Ram 1500 the hard way the first time, now I'm trying to cover my bases better for my 2013 1500 Sport.

Just thinking from what I have read so far (could be old info) that you would need to use the 2.8 Bilstein setting. 285/65r20 Nitto G2 must be about a 35 x 11.75 tire (approx.) Seems to me that they said that just pushes the limit of the factory settings (but with no problems) and should clear a 35" tire. I plan to use a 275/65r20 (approx. 34 x 11) with the 2.1 Bilstein setting. Wish I could find a 285/60r20 in Nitto G2, Terra Grappler or Toyo AT2, but no luck. Sounds like what you plan to do is going to be exactly the look I would want, but this time I'm going to settle for wimpy look, can't afford the weight of the tires, drag and mpg...I have two kids...uh and a wife now, unlike when I did my 2005!

OP
OP
tsunamilogan05

tsunamilogan05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm a new to the forum, I apologize if I am out of line with posting questions to your post. I registered specifically to follow your post and ask you some questions based on what you are doing. I hope to see photos tomorrow if all goes well for you. Wish you luck!

1) Do you HAVE to replace the Upper Control Arm when you do a suspension lift like you are doing?

2) I have been reading older posts the last couple of days as I start to plan to level my truck after this winter (totally agree with how you had patients to do things right). Would like to know if what I have been seeing in older information is correct, that if I decided to just do a Bilstein 5100 install (2.1 setting) in front (no spacers) is it necessary to replace the upper control arm, newer posts seem to be saying that the ball joints will pop out eventually if you don't, is this true? I have been reading a lot online mostly 2013 and 2014 forums and videos and people where just putting on the Bilstein strut and not replacing or saying anything about the upper control arm, and as I continue to research more recent info, late 2014 and early 2015, sounds like replacing the UCA is absolutely necessary?. Thanks Sorry for the long post, I will work on it.

Hey man no need to apologize. I chose to replace the UCAs because of the ball joint issue. From what I've read and heard it seems to be true on trucks for 13-14. After taking them out it seemed like the factory arms were just stamped steel as well as the joints not being as flexible or moveable as the mevotechs. I was able to get more range of motion when I compared them side by side. Plus the aftermarket arms are allot beefier.

Now I did go with the 2.1 setting and glad I did. As well as adding heavier springs in the rear to help with trailer sagging. The heavier springs mixed with new tires gave me an extra inch the back.

Now the tires at 285/65 are just over 34.5"...I pulled it from nittos page. Different tires usually rate different dimensions.
261640491a1bdb911e6c1fb04050c82b.jpg

I'm going to post pictures up in a few got to grease the control arms. Didn't buy any zerks until last night.

R6rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear that you are using the 2.1 setting, that will surely keep you in factory settings with everything and it sounds like everything your doing will beef up the right stuff. Let us know if you have any rubbing with the 2.1 though, probably wouldn't be much if any. On my 2005 I had a 4" Rancho lift with 35x12.5 Toyo MT on it and it looked really good, only rubbing was slight when I was In a left reverse. Look forward to photo when you get time. I watched a video last night, remember to test drive it and tighten struts after they settle...and get an alignment.

TheFactor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey man no need to apologize. I chose to replace the UCAs because of the ball joint issue. From what I've read and heard it seems to be true on trucks for 13-14. After taking them out it seemed like the factory arms were just stamped steel as well as the joints not being as flexible or moveable as the mevotechs. I was able to get more range of motion when I compared them side by side. Plus the aftermarket arms are allot beefier.

Now I did go with the 2.1 setting and glad I did. As well as adding heavier springs in the rear to help with trailer sagging. The heavier springs mixed with new tires gave me an extra inch the back.

Now the tires at 285/65 are just over 34.5"...I pulled it from nittos page. Different tires usually rate different dimensions.
261640491a1bdb911e6c1fb04050c82b.jpg

I'm going to post pictures up in a few got to grease the control arms. Didn't buy any zerks until last night.

Are the UCA's from the factory different from 13&14's ? I have a early 15 built in Nov 2014 and plan similiar upgrades that's why I ask so I know if I should replace mine or not .Also how much are the new UCA's and is it uppers and lowers ?
Btw can't wait to see the pictures with the new toys on your truck

Last edited:
OP
OP
tsunamilogan05

tsunamilogan05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The uca's were about $50 a piece from car id. Now it's time to start on the next mods. Tow hooks, hidden winch, and cutout.b

Here are some pictures :)

ccf4c4f8be3e066ccf3f0310ea90be51.jpg

fc4ae7602d4e76840e96b9cc5ff714b9.jpg

716326872e43083f1165f3764d76514a.jpg

OP
OP
tsunamilogan05

tsunamilogan05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are the UCA's from the factory different from 13&14's ? I have a early 15 built in Nov 2014 and plan similiar upgrades that's why I ask so I know if I should replace mine or not .Also how much are the new UCA's and is it uppers and lowers ?

Btw can't wait to see the pictures with the new toys on your truck [emoji106]

All I know is after reading and researching the 13's and 14's had horrible uca problems. They were poorly built. Some have had success using previous year arms. Just upper control arms.

TheFactor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All I know is after reading and researching the 13's and 14's had horrible uca problems. They were poorly built. Some have had success using previous year arms. Just upper control arms.

Thanks man !

R6rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks awesome. I have the same only 2013, all painted black, handles, mirrors, bumpers. Can you give some details about your fog light mod? where to get parts or info on doing it? I hate how they turned them and what you did total makes it right.

R6rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dude, I think you nailed it! I think I am going to hold out for the same exact mod! If and when you get the chance, would you please come back and list any and all negatives based on the mod? This will help me justify doing it, because I think they are going to be minimum. What I mean by "negatives"...changes on the negative side that are expected, i.e. mpg, speedo difference, and quality/comfort of ride on road. Those are the main concerns for me on how different they are. I don't do any off roading, just like the look and traction when I need it on trails or camping/hunting. I know other stuff like braking, acceleration, towing and maintenance are all factors, but I don't care about that so much. Thanks again

OP
OP
tsunamilogan05

tsunamilogan05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks awesome. I have the same only 2013, all painted black, handles, mirrors, bumpers. Can you give some details about your fog light mod? where to get parts or info on doing it? I hate how they turned them and what you did total makes it right.

Thanks man I bought the kit off another member on here. There's a post in the DIY on led pods in place of fog lights. Has all the numbers and everything.

OP
OP
tsunamilogan05

tsunamilogan05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dude, I think you nailed it! I think I am going to hold out for the same exact mod! If and when you get the chance, would you please come back and list any and all negatives based on the mod? This will help me justify doing it, because I think they are going to be minimum. What I mean by "negatives"...changes on the negative side that are expected, i.e. mpg, speedo difference, and quality/comfort of ride on road. Those are the main concerns for me on how different they are. I don't do any off roading, just like the look and traction when I need it on trails or camping/hunting. I know other stuff like braking, acceleration, towing and maintenance are all factors, but I don't care about that so much. Thanks again

Right now I'm not to worried about mpg, I drive a little civic daily. Yet ride quality is substantially better by far. Towing I'm not too worried anymore since I upgraded the coil springs in the rear. I'm not negative right now lol. All positives from ear to ear lol.