Switching from 2 barrel to 4 barrel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a Holley 2280 carb (2 barrel) on my 1984 dodge ram with a 318. The carb is old worn out and runs extremely rich, idles rough, sucks back the gas like crazy, and won't hold its idle high enough on a cold start, causing it to stall. This is all after a rebuild and countless hours trying to get it to run good. I've decided it would be nice to upgrade to a 4 barrel to get a little more power. I heard you can buy brand new carbs, rather than rebuilt ones. Can someone confirm this? I also heard if you buy a new carb, you literally just take off your old carb and bolt on the new one, and set the adjustments of course. Is that true too? If so, let me know where I can buy one and which one will fit my 318. I know that I want a brand new one, not a used one. I just need some help on which one will bolt on directly to my engine without requiring further mods and stuff.
Thanks community

Sitedrifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2 to 4 barrel is not a direct bolt on. You will need to change your intake manifold and also fiddle with your accelerator and transmission kick down linkage. Not hard at all but know what you are doing before jumping in.

For me, I would recommend a Holley 2 barrel 500CFM over a 4 barrel since you are not changing the cam.

Good luck man!

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks for the advice.
If I converted to a 4bbl without changing the cam would it be hard on my engine or make it run bad?