Tail gate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Is there anyway to turn off the tailgate lock? I would like to be able to open the tail gate when the truck is locked.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure on the 5th gen but 4th gen you could open the tailgate and remove the cover plate the disconnect the power harness going to the locking mechanism. Not sure if any issues going that.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You could always unlock the tailgate with the key.
A locked tailgate is more difficult to steal.

OP
OP
Musky Mike

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
You could always unlock the tailgate with the key.
A locked tailgate is more difficult to steal.
That’s the problem, it’s when I’m outside working and I remember I need to put or get something out of the bed of the truck. I have to go inside to get the key fob to unlock the doors/tailgate. I would just like to turn it off and only turn it on when I need the tailgate locked.

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bet you could remove the access panel on back of tailgate and unplug it. But I think backup cam is in the same harness so that may not work.

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bet you could remove the access panel on back of tailgate and unplug it. But I think backup cam is in the same harness so that may not work.
Backup cam is on the same harness but inside the panel should be a separate connector. If you disconnect the electronic lock you still have to key lock/unlock the tailgate

RAMVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
See where the harness connects from tailgate to bed of the truck. Crawl under your truck. You'll see the two plugs that go to your tail gate. The small one is for your back up camera. The bigger one is for the power locks. Disconnect the bigger one. The only issue is that if you disconnect it, then there is no way to lock/unlock the tailgate. My Bighorn does not have a key hole in the tailgate handle. Learned that when I went to take my tailgate off. I disconnected the two connectors and then went to drop the tailgate. It was locked and so I had to re-connect the one big connector.

Hope this helps!