Tailgate Removal Wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ted T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Diesel
I have a 2012 3500 dually and plan on buying a cabover camper. I was looking at the tailgate and found two separate wiring harnesses. One is the harness with the plastic cover and quick disconnect and the other harness with no quick disconnect. I've looked at the videos online for removing the tailgate and they only show one harness. I opened the tailgate and it appears that the wires inside the harness go to the locking system. Any ideas as to why they would run the camera and lock separately? Looks like I will need to install a quick disconnect. Anyone else run into this?

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My buddy’s ‘12 only has one harness with a qd on it. He takes it off all the time to put his salter on during the winter. He does have the locking tailgate and camera.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you buy your Ram new or used? If its used, good chance it is aftermarket and the wiring connectors are up inside the tailgate near the latch.
Recently added the OEM camera to my SLT. The OEM wiring has the locking pins incorporated into that one single disconnect. So if its OEM,it will only have that one quick disconnect...most aftermarket use a single video RCA cable...

OP
OP
T

Ted T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Diesel
I did buy the Ram used. The harness without the disconnect is attached to the lock, so I'm guessing that the locking tailgate wasn't available in 2012 and was added by the original owner? Anyway, I installed a quick connect and that takes care of the issue. Thanks for your input.