Talk me out of buying a 2021 Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone. It's been about 4 years of ownership with my 3rd gen Ram. I got the truck for $3,000 with a hair over 197k on the odometer. I've put about $6800 in parts (not counting my labor) into it, including a top-end job. I've now got roughly 230k on the clock and it feels like the truck is getting "long in the tooth". Here's why:

• Ride quality. Not sure if it's due to a lack of quality replacement parts or frame fatigue. After new shocks and all-new front end the ride quality is just... meh. Compared to a new(er) truck it just feels like day & night difference.
  • Power & acceleration. Before I did the top-end job my truck felt... anemic. However, with fresh heads it does feel like it has "woken up", but it's still tied to a 545FRE transmission that has sluggish shifting. I am getting left in the dust by mini-vans when I really need to get-up and go. Maybe it's the overall gear ratios.
  • Cab size. Now that my truck has become the "family trip" vehicle, I use it to tow the tent-trailer and transport the family. The back-seat is not the most comfortable for adults while on long 1-2 day drives. Then put a car-seat in the middle.
  • Parts availability. I'm starting to see certain parts are becoming "No Longer Available". Trim pieces, interior bits, certain frame & suspension components... Buying "lightly used" parts from dismantlers runs its own risks.
I think I've hit the limit on what I can do to my truck to improve the above. I know I can't change the cab size or parts availability. It is nice to not have a monthly bill for another vehicle. What can I do to improve ride quality & power without breaking the bank?

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Is this in regards to the 2005? You're talking night/day difference IMO comparing it to a 2021 classic or new style. You might actually get a decent trade-in allowance on the old one the way things are going. Problem is, everything new costs a bundle too. More so now than a year ago. The only deals I've seen on new Rams are 1500 classics with the quad cab and pentastar.

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
Is this in regards to the 2005? You're talking night/day difference IMO comparing it to a 2021 classic or new style. You might actually get a decent trade-in allowance on the old one the way things are going. Problem is, everything new costs a bundle too. More so now than a year ago. The only deals I've seen on new Rams are 1500 classics with the quad cab and pentastar.

+1 on this, used truck prices are thru the roof but so are new rigs. I can tell you that the ride quality will be night and day, you can spend thousands trying to make it ride better but it still won’t be a comfortable as those new trucks. The 8-speed transmission is 1000% better than the RFE which would help with the sluggish feeling. Also 395 horses compared to 345 if you go for the hemi.

A full crew cab would be a lot more comfortable for the folks in the back compared to your current quad cab. Also a lot of parts are discontinued for 3rd gens now. Junkyards are basically the only source for a lot of parts anymore, just how it goes I guess

I know the title says “talk you out of buying a new truck” but you’d probably love a new truck a lot more than dumping another 5k or more into your current one and still not be fully satisfied

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Brando_SLT

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
can you say power wagon? you will love everything except the payments and gas mileage
I would love a Power Wagon. Really, those two exceptions would just be things my wife doesn't love hehe.

OK, so I guess I'm decided then. I'll keep this 2005 going for a few more months, save, and wait until one of our stores has new stock. I think I get invoice + $500 and TTL on any vehicle.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
can you say power wagon? you will love everything except the payments and gas mileage
And add in the reduced payload capacity whick impacts towing. The same truck as mine in PW form has about 1/2 the maximum payload capacity, 1,466 versus 3k pounds.

Phillyrube

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have to plan to fix your Ram for another year waiting for the 2021 which will come in after 2022s are introduced?

OP
OP
Brando_SLT

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have to plan to fix your Ram for another year waiting for the 2021 which will come in after 2022s are introduced?
Actually I'm not sure. I may wait 6 months and see what our inventory is like and what direction MSRPs and OEM incentives go. I may buy a CPO 2020/2021 5th gen... Just have to keep putting $$$ in savings until I'm ready. Not a matter of if, but when right now.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
OK, don't get a 1500. Get a 2500. Remember, you need to be able to go OVER and THROUGH obstacles like neighbors fences, garbage cans, barricades etc.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
Godzilla 7.3
Talk me out of it...
First off, really bizarre - in the last few weeks/months you can't select part of a post to reply to... really awkward to use...

Back to the OP - you're in the wrong place. Maybe try a Phord or JeeEm forum if you don't want to buy a RAM.