Talk to me about 275/60r20 Duratracs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
So the 275/60r20 duratracs are rated at SL (standard load) while just about any other size is rated at E. The 275/60 peaked my interested because they are only about $240 a tire with a mileage warranty! I would pull the trigger but my mild offroading has me re-thinking because the last thing I need at 430 am is a flat tire while I'm trying to go hunting

I've herd the SL rated may have thin side walls and the tire may be "just enough" for our half tons on the street, let alone in the mountains.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Mac102004

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 3500
Engine
Cummins 6.7 SO
Can't say much on that size? But I run 275/65/20's on my Cummins and they have treated me well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i read the same thing about the ratings and sidewall and had the same concerns. i just ended up going with bfg all terrains

Luke

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
how does the sidewall hold up to other SL tires for our truck.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Sorry can't Answer your exact Question however In Canada x 4 Installed w Taxes are $2038 for the 20" so I chose a different Tire. Never asked but in a Big 17 Size I am pretty sure they are E Rated and up here Come with a Snowflake Rating (Extreme Winter Driving). Best Tires I ever had on my 3rd Gen and Tow Nice when Aired up to 50 PSI. Danny

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
If your worried about the side wall you could look into the 275/65 r20 terra grapplers they are a E rated tire and only 34 in not to much taller and only 266 vs 247ea little more expensive but should last a lot longer. The SL is going to have very similar sidewall to stock tires and I haven't had any flats yet knock on wood. So it's a toss up, as stated the bfg is 250 ea and they are a D tire so they will be little stiffer on the side wall.... I'm sure any of the above will treat you well

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
If your worried about the side wall you could look into the 275/65 r20 terra grapplers they are a E rated tire and only 34 in not to much taller and only 266 vs 247ea little more expensive but should last a lot longer. The SL is going to have very similar sidewall to stock tires and I haven't had any flats yet knock on wood. So it's a toss up, as stated the bfg is 250 ea and they are a D tire so they will be little stiffer on the side wall.... I'm sure any of the above will treat you well
Because I drive about 6000 miles a year, as long as I get over 30,000 or 35,000 with a tire I will be happy lol so I thought the duratrac would be a good choice because it has a very good looking side wall and is an agressive AT. BFG may be the way to go because it would keep the weight down being a D rated (about 6 lbs less than e rated) while being stringer than the SL duratracs which are 10 lbs lighter than the E rated. But the BFG ko2's don't quite have the aggressive look I'm going for

Or I saw a 275/65r20 from **** Cepk called the Fun Country that is E rated and is fairly in expensive . Or the Firestone destination MT.

I'm just not sure that going to that nitto is going to be the look I'm going for because right now I have 285/75r16 MT'S right now

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I believe the duratrac's are the most agressive A/T the terra grapplers aren't very aggressive looking but good tire. I know the BFG grabs my attention when I see them on a truck. But just be careful with mud terrains they aren't good for winter or rain and they are noisy. But they they have the look that's for sure.

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
So what I'm seeing is that the SL rated duratrac is a no go?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
So what I'm seeing is that the SL rated duratrac is a no go?

I wanted them but I didn't want to spend 240 a tire I settled on the cooper discovery atp's. I would of gotten the duratrac's if they were cheeper.

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I wanted them but I didn't want to spend 240 a tire I settled on the cooper discovery atp's. I would of gotten the duratrac's if they were cheeper.

Even though they have few ply's and are rated for less weight than the D or E rated tires? Do you do any offroading with your truck?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
That was my last truck actually, and I didn't do any real off roading, I wanted them mainly as they were the most aggressive A/T on the market and have very high reviews, never been real concerned with cutting a side wall. If that's a real concern they might not be a bad idea to step up to a E or a D. I'm not real sure what your actual usesage will be.

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
That was my last truck actually, and I didn't do any real off roading, I wanted them mainly as they were the most aggressive A/T on the market and have very high reviews, never been real concerned with cutting a side wall. If that's a real concern they might not be a bad idea to step up to a E or a D. I'm not real sure what your actual usesage will be.

90-95% of my driving is on pavement while the other 5% is during the months of August-October where I am driving old logging roads to get back into hunting spots. I'm very easy on my truck and tires but some of the places I go you couldn't get back into without the clearance of a truck because of large ruts and mud holes

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
90-95% of my driving is on pavement while the other 5% is during the months of August-October where I am driving old logging roads to get back into hunting spots. I'm very easy on my truck and tires but some of the places I go you couldn't get back into without the clearance of a truck because of large ruts and mud holes

Personally if your not hauling heavy or off the pavement in the rocks and sharp objects all the time it would be hard to justify the E rated tires sense you will lose mpg with the weight, now D or SL to me it could go either way. A lot of people talk up the duratrac's so much that I wanted them but I couldn't afford to drop the extra coin on them. I don't think you could go wrong with either

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Personally if your not hauling heavy or off the pavement in the rocks and sharp objects all the time it would be hard to justify the E rated tires sense you will lose mpg with the weight, now D or SL to me it could go either way. A lot of people talk up the duratrac's so much that I wanted them but I couldn't afford to drop the extra coin on them. I don't think you could go wrong with either

D is 8 ply while SL is 3 ply correct..? Or is it completly dependent on the tire itself

roastpuff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
D is 8 ply while SL is 3 ply correct..? Or is it completly dependent on the tire itself

Ply ratings are "equivalents". The actual tires may have anything from 1 ply, to 4 plies. Modern construction methods and materials differ a lot. The old-school bias ply "ratings" are just used so people can relate to what the old tires did.

B/SL/XL = 4-ply equiv.
C = 6-ply equiv.
D = 8-ply equiv.
E = 10-ply equiv.

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Ply ratings are "equivalents". The actual tires may have anything from 1 ply, to 4 plies. Modern construction methods and materials differ a lot. The old-school bias ply "ratings" are just used so people can relate to what the old tires did.

B/SL/XL = 4-ply equiv.
C = 6-ply equiv.
D = 8-ply equiv.
E = 10-ply equiv.

Oh ok so D tire is substantially "stronger/more durable" than an SL tire?

roastpuff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh ok so D tire is substantially "stronger/more durable" than an SL tire?

Yes, exactly. In our stock size, the SL tire has a load of 2601lbs - minus the 1.1x factor for a P-rated tire (end result is 2365lbs), whereas the D-rated tire has 2998lbs without needing a reduced factor.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
old logging roads are very hard on tires.i drive them ALOT.they will chunk the hell out of your tires if you drive too fast on them,especially if they have been recently graded,and duratracs are the worst.i was driving down a dirt secondary road and put a hole in my pos duratracs that 3 plugs still wouldn't fix.you would be way better off with bfg's.in fact,you would be better off with stock michelins.:naughty:

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
old logging roads are very hard on tires.i drive them ALOT.they will chunk the hell out of your tires if you drive too fast on them,especially if they have been recently graded,and duratracs are the worst.i was driving down a dirt secondary road and put a hole in my pos duratracs that 3 plugs still wouldn't fix.you would be way better off with bfg's.in fact,you would be better off with stock michelins.:naughty:

Lol stock michelins?