Tapping into factory fog lights switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey everyone first post here.

I have a 2016 ram 1500 quad cab slt. My truck did not come stock with fog lights however it has the push button fog lights switch right next to the headlight on off knob. WHEN I push this button in I see the dash light for the fog lights illuminate.

EDIT- just realize this button actually turns on and off the cargo light not the fog lights

This is my question. I want to add a set of LED pod lights to the front of my bumper to give it fog lights (or I may end up with a different bumper with pod lights). Either way I want to wire the led pod lights into the factory fog lights wiring so that when I push the button the pod lights come on. Had anyone done this before? I saw a thread on how to add factory fog lighting to a truck that didn't come with them and saw it involved getting the sales code added to the truck.

Can any advise if they have done this or if I even have the wiring there to do this? If not I'm going to use a relay and tap into the headlight wires eventually. That or what does people have thought wise to run led pod lights (one set) to come on with the head lights?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay your thread helps a lot. Can you explain your headlight loomy thing a little better? It i understand it correctly basically you made your own wire harness with connectors that allows you to "tap" I to the stock headlight wiring allowing your lights and stock head lights to run off one harness?

I want it so my pods come in with the head lights. I don't want or need for them at least a switch to turn them off or on independently. I just got off a 12 hour shift so maybe I'm a little tired but ya can you explain how you did your wiring harness?

abbttb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
First uou will need to replace your headlight switch with one that has the push for fog light built into it. yhen you would need to build a jumper harness to complete the wiring from under the TIPM to the bumper area. there is a grey connector under the TIPM housing that contains the fog lamp wiring from the headlamp switch. Pins 23 (wt/yl) and 24 (wt/or) are where you will connect the power wires from your pods. You can connect the pod grounds to the body ground beside the TIPM. Once your harness is connected you can have your dealer add the sales code for the fog lights and then you can control them with the factory switch.

5edde207043a243ef6934415e096ba6e.jpg

43d6cd741c31922ac22cf883e4c63a9b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First uou will need to replace your headlight switch with one that has the push for fog light built into it. yhen you would need to build a jumper harness to complete the wiring from under the TIPM to the bumper area. there is a grey connector under the TIPM housing that contains the fog lamp wiring from the headlamp switch. Pins 23 (wt/yl) and 24 (wt/or) are where you will connect the power wires from your pods. You can connect the pod grounds to the body ground beside the TIPM. Once your harness is connected you can have your dealer add the sales code for the fog lights and then you can control them with the factory switch.

5edde207043a243ef6934415e096ba6e.jpg

43d6cd741c31922ac22cf883e4c63a9b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

PERFECT.... so the TIPM you speak of (sorry im new to ram trucks) is the black box in the first pic? when you say pin 23/24 are those essentially fuses?

Also, where would I get a headlight switch with fog lights built in and is that something plug and play i can install?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
The new switch you can get from any dealer or Mopar parts dealer or rockauto.com. The fog light jumper a dealer or Mopar parts dealer can get them. You'll need the dealer to add sales code LNJ to activate the fogs. 23/24 refers to the pin location in the factory harness. Those are the feed wires for the fogs. If you look at the other side of the plug you'll notice that 23/24 are not populated. At this time there is no available section to purchase to go from the jumper to the connector so you have to run 2 feeds and a ground.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any more Pictures on the Feed running from the TIPM plug? Also is there a specific type of Pin you have to buy to add it on the other side of the plug, or just tap into the wire?

Winter62

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want to run a pair of after market fogs w/ the factory fogs! And my question is, can I run those off the same switch and if so, how would I do it? I’ve been reading the post and it’s pretty interesting.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want to run a pair of after market fogs w/ the factory fogs! And my question is, can I run those off the same switch and if so, how would I do it? I’ve been reading the post and it’s pretty interesting.
Do you mean run a 2nd pair of fogs along with the OEM, or do you want to replace the OEM? Both are doable. If the latter, you should be able direct swap (not including mounting issues that you could have - but if you get direct replacement type after market that shouldn't be an issue. If you are adding them in, you'll need to ID the power side and the ground side, but should work once you tap in. Note: Adding additional fogs will pull additional amperage across the circuit - so unless they're LED type, you could have power issues unless you go with a higher amp fuse and - if needed - upgraded wiring.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I would suggest some careful review of the amperage requirements before adding anything. Fuses are sized according to the wire size. Upping a fuse could allow the wiring or something on the other end (like the OEM switch) to short out over time.