LED Light Bar/Pods Install behind grill and bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Been lurking around this forum for a few years and just now finally got around to posting a mod I am currently working on.

I am trying to make it possible for future removal of the lighting system from the truck if needed and have it revert to as close to unmodified as possible. To do this, i will make pigtails to plug into the factory wiring everywhere I can.

The original mod was just to be a simple install of 2 Rigid SR 10" amber light bars behind the grill. I then decided to add 2 10" E2 Combos as well.

I also intend to mount 2 of the new Hi/low Rigid D2 driving lights and a set of D2 Hyperspots to replace urge OEM fog lights and compliment the other light bars currently being installed.

OP
OP
sbarron

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Here is the wiring diagram for my mod. I'm trying to have the most versatility with the least amount of switches.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/03k60f2jtwe6rr7/wiring diagram.pdf?dl=0

On my '13 access to the headlight switch was gained through the panel just below the switch. Switch simply pushes out from behind. Access to the wires is adequate.

This was one place I couldn't figure out how to pigtail the plugs so I settled on a simple Lockitt POSI-TAP I tapped into the dash light dimmer circuit (OR/BR wire) and ran wire (blue in photo) to the switch illumination LED terminals. These taps are great and seem to cause the least damage to the original wiring.

OP
OP
sbarron

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Originally, I had planned on mounting the switches either in the panel removed to gain access to the headlight switch or the bottom dash panel under the steering column. I wasn't happy enough with the access, or switch positions to justify cutting holes in my dash. I found that the small cubby above the power inverter was a perfect fit for the two OTRATTW switches in the bracket. This is a simple push in (tight) fit and only needed a hole drilled in back for the wires to exit the compartment. The small void was covered with a scrap of black plastic notebook cut to shape and glued to the switch bracket.

The switches aren't front and center, but still ok to reach.

OP
OP
sbarron

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
An unintentional benefit of having the switches mounted slightly out of the sightline is the difference in light levels between the stock and aftermarket switches (a bit brighter) isn't a distraction with them mounted slightly further away.

crappy cell phone photos, but....

dash lights full bright - similar light levels between OEM and AUX switches

dash lights dimmed - AUX switches don't dim as much as OEM lights

AUX switches turned on

OP
OP
sbarron

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Penetrated the firewall through the plug intended for the clutch pedal. Everything in loom and grommeted.

One of three separate looms... this one for the 4 D2 pods that will eventually replace the OEM fogs.

Pigtail to tie into the OEM headlight wiring. This gives the kick-off for the high beam triggers and leaves the OEM wiring intact.

OP
OP
sbarron

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Installed and mounted wiring and relays. Bolted to the side of the fuse box base. Relays are Hella waterproof paired with the Hella relay bases. Not the cheapest option, but makes a clean install.

OP
OP
sbarron

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Pigtail for the dual output D2 Driving lights. This allows the OEM fog light switch to operate the low side and the relay triggered by the high beams to operate the high side.

OP
OP
sbarron

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Wiring Test!!!

This is more or less what I'll end up with (minus backordered D2 spots). Lights aren't mounted,just set more or less where they will end up.

OEM Quad low beams:

Low beams with D2 Driving Pattern on low power:

Low beams, Low Drivers, SR 10" Amber Combos (Spot - Flood)

High beams with D2 Driver on high power

High Beams, high D2's, and 10" E2's Combo (Hyperspot/Driving)

The full Monte, (minus backordered D2 hyperspots)

Now all I need are for my ICI brackets and D2 hyper spots to arrive and fab brackets to mount bars behind grill. Long day.

OP
OP
sbarron

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The SR Amber Combos and the E2 Combos installed. The SR mounting is ok, I'm not real pleased with the mounting of the E2's; they are TIGHT to the grill and adjustment is limited. I will be re-doing the upper mounts.

All 4 lights mounted.

Upper E2's mounted using existing holes in the upper core support(?). The Rigid supplied brackets are slightly bent to make them work. I will be changing the mounting of these to move them down and back 1/2".

SR's on bottom mounted to plate bolted to lower crossmember.

4 lights as currently behind grill.

It was painful to take this picture.

I will get some night output photos as soon as I get a chance. Still waiting on my ICI brackets to install the pods in the OEM fog light openings.

OP
OP
sbarron

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I FINALLY received my ICI fog light brackets, (thats USPS for the 2 week priority mail service...lol).

Lights mounted to brackets.

Installed... the lower light is mounted quite a lot further back doe to the way ICI stamps the bracket. I have placed the Hyperspots in this position as with their much tighter beam, they won't be shadowed by the bumper.

OP
OP
sbarron

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I also finished repositioning and modifying the brackets for the lights mounted behind the grill.

Lights mounted/Covers installed. The lights needed to be tied into the upper support as well to eliminate an awful vibration. Now lights are rock solid even driving over washboard roads.

Bracket detail

OP
OP
sbarron

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Below are some output shots. It was the worst conditions for vision, wet ground, no snow, nothing to reflect the light.

OEM low beams

OEM Low Beams with D2 Driving Light Pods on low power

Photo 1 - SR Ambers (behind grill)
Photo 2 - Low Beams and SR Ambers
Photo 3 - front view. This blew the camera out for some reason.

OP
OP
sbarron

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

High beams and D2 driving lights high power.

High Beams with the E2 Combos, D2 Drivers on High and D2 Hyperspots. Probably a realistic 300+ yards of good illumination straight out in horrible conditions. Also a lot of spill light to the sides.

TRXHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very cool... I just did the ICI brackets myself.... love the output.

Jeff816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Absolutely awesome write up! You answered a lot of questions I have had. I even understood your wiring diagram. It's probaly the only one I have ever understood totally, you even made the relays simple. Thank you!

How exactly did you get through the fire wall? I'm familiar with the plug you used, at least I know where it is. Did you remove the plug, if so how, or drill through it where it is? What size drill bit and grommet did you use, and is the hole pretty sealed up?

Again, awesome write up!