Temp gauge not working.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orange whip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I replaced the coolant temp sensor and now the gauge goes right to hot when you start the car. I checked the wire connector with a tester and nothing. Anyone ever run into this issue.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
I replaced the coolant temp sensor and now the gauge goes right to hot when you start the car. I checked the wire connector with a tester and nothing. Anyone ever run into this issue.

Make sure you got the right one and make sure you replace the right one. There is a "coolant temp SENSOR" AND a "coolant temp SENDER"

the "sensor" talks to the ecu and the "sender" goes to the dash gauge

OP
OP
Orange whip

Orange whip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok but I should still be getting power to the temp sensor? Where is the sender located?

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
ok but I should still be getting power to the temp sensor? Where is the sender located?

Testing the temp sensors is tricky. Your not looking for voltage but rather measureing ohms. The ECU reads the temp based off the voltage drop from the return signal voltage. As temps go up, resistance goes down, as resistance goes down, the more return voltage gets back to the ECU.

so if your spiking on start up, than somewhere in the harness or sensor the signal voltage is just bypassing the wall of resistance and returning without voltage drop

Mayhaps your connector is broken internally or the insulation is damaged somewhere.

Electricity takes the path of least resistance. You gotta make sure there are no forks in the road

Last edited: