Temperature related starting issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
that looks like the same as I bought, it was on sale, maybe 40.oo or so , I forget.
If the light is red, leave plugged in, Green, it is full charge. mine turns green at 13volt, takes a while.
I do have a good large charger, but this is simple, I just zipped tied it to the battery bracket as there was not much room on her Honda, and the zip ties are quick and simple.

OP
OP
B

BHop88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Interesting product posted above. That may be the next step.

Apologies for the long delay in a further update on this. We've had some insanely mild weather and temperature up here in the Canadian Prairie but I think that is all coming to an end.

For the below scenario:

Day 1: truck started from a warm parkade (19celsius), drove 25 min to work and sat outside for roughly 10 hours at -2 Celsius. Drove the truck back to the heated parkade and parked for the night. All starts indoors and outdoors were fine.

Day 2: The attached photos and video are for the start in the morning following the previous day. Meter shows good reading, then a 10 second crank shows bang on 11V. The video then shows the start and this is the trouble I've been having. The start occurred in a warm parkade, not plugged in.

A couple days ago I had similar conditions and monitored the volt meter while the truck was turned on. The conditions and metering was similar to this and after the struggle bus of a start everything levelled out to about 14.4V when on.

I'm away for four days and the truck will be parked outside in -15 to +8 temps so will report back. If anyone has any further thoughts let me know. Simply put, the truck starts great in plus temps and as soon as we drop below I'll get issues.

Cheers.

Edit: the forum is not allowing me to post a cell phone video. Will try and figure this out and have it to an allowable format

Attachments

• IMG20231207121445.jpg
    IMG20231207121445.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG20231207121450.jpg
    IMG20231207121450.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 6

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Interesting product posted above. That may be the next step.

Apologies for the long delay in a further update on this. We've had some insanely mild weather and temperature up here in the Canadian Prairie but I think that is all coming to an end.

For the below scenario:

Day 1: truck started from a warm parkade (19celsius), drove 25 min to work and sat outside for roughly 10 hours at -2 Celsius. Drove the truck back to the heated parkade and parked for the night. All starts indoors and outdoors were fine.

Day 2: The attached photos and video are for the start in the morning following the previous day. Meter shows good reading, then a 10 second crank shows bang on 11V. The video then shows the start and this is the trouble I've been having. The start occurred in a warm parkade, not plugged in.

A couple days ago I had similar conditions and monitored the volt meter while the truck was turned on. The conditions and metering was similar to this and after the struggle bus of a start everything levelled out to about 14.4V when on.

I'm away for four days and the truck will be parked outside in -15 to +8 temps so will report back. If anyone has any further thoughts let me know. Simply put, the truck starts great in plus temps and as soon as we drop below I'll get issues.

Cheers.

Edit: the forum is not allowing me to post a cell phone video. Will try and figure this out and have it to an allowable format
If your battery is a 850 CCA battery,it's on the verge of being toast,and it might be time to replace it.Hows it start cold if you boost it,if it starts great,it's another indication it's time for a new battery.
Also can't see your video,post it to youtube

OP
OP
B

BHop88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
If your battery is a 850 CCA battery,it's on the verge of being toast,and it might be time to replace it.Hows it start cold if you boost it,if it starts great,it's another indication it's time for a new battery.
Battery is still relatively new. Replaced spring of 2022 and I think we determined earlier in this thread it was a suitable battery for the truck.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Battery is still relatively new. Replaced spring of 2022 and I think we determined earlier in this thread it was a suitable battery for the truck.
According to your toaster test it's on the verge of not being enough battery. Hows it start cold if you boost it?

Crappy Tire puts these Noco jump packs on sale fairly often,might be something you want to keep in your truck.

Last edited:

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is the battery an AGM or normal battery?

I have had similar problems with AGM batteries and constant short trips - they last on average 1-1.5 yrs for me on 2 different vehicles but both had similar usage.

The batteries were recoverable after several deep discharges and recharges but it would happen again over time - went to a normal maint. free battery and no more problems.

OP
OP
B

BHop88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6

Let me know if that works or not

OP
OP
B

BHop88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I can see the video but have no idea what it actually tries to demonstrate.
The starting struggles along with what I'm seeing on the battery tester.

For trouble shooting, I'm planning on using the warranty with the battery as they pitch holding charges in cold temps. I'll see if a new replacement works and if not, move on to the Noco jump packs / look at replacing the alternator ...

Again, really appreciate the suggestions. I've got some knowledge of about everything else in life except vehicles so have been appreciating the learning process

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The starting struggles along with what I'm seeing on the battery tester.

For trouble shooting, I'm planning on using the warranty with the battery as they pitch holding charges in cold temps. I'll see if a new replacement works and if not, move on to the Noco jump packs / look at replacing the alternator ...

Again, really appreciate the suggestions. I've got some knowledge of about everything else in life except vehicles so have been appreciating the learning process
It sounds more like a fuel problem in the video. Cycle the key on for a few seconds then back off before you start it,and see if it starts better.Listen for the fuel pump when you do.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It sounds more like a fuel problem in the video. Cycle the key on for a few seconds then back off before you start it,and see if it starts better.Listen for the fuel pump when you do.
Totally agree !

Try key on (dash lights up), key off - repeat 3 times, key off then start.

Run a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner through it, put into tank, fill tank, run until 1/4 tank or less.

Might also want to check and see if you throttle body is dirty and clean the throttle plate.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I actually had the same symptoms this summer. Truck still had fuel from late Feb. in it, the problem was in June.
Anyway, I would drive it and come home shut the truck off, next day go to start it and it acted just like that.
After some checking, I determined that the fuel was flashing off during hot soak and thus not having fuel pressure for the next cold start.

For mine the actual fix was to fill up the tank with summer blend fuel.
I did clean the throttle and run injection cleaner through it prior.

Only running issue was the cold start problem - though IF I did hold the gas pedal 3/4 of the way down on the cold start, it would start pretty quickly and be fine.

OP
OP
B

BHop88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
So I've done a few things since.

Ran through a fuel cleaner...got everything right down to empty, put in the cleaner, filled it up. Had the same issues.

The other day I drove a good 400km. Temps were -2 to -9 Celsius for the days. Struggled to start the following morning in the parkade.

Yesterday I drove the vehicle to work (20min), parked it outside, then drove it home and left it outside. Started the vehicle this morning and there were no issues at all.

There's something to do with this temperature fluctuation from outside air temps to inside warm heated air. I could leave the truck out all winter and I bet I'd have little trouble.

What the heck is this temp change wreaking havoc on the start. Computer issue? Fuel pump issue? I feel like the battery is just fine as it'll start outside no problem.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Does your parkade have extremely high humidity?

OP
OP
B

BHop88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Does your parkade have extremely high humidity?
Issue has happened in 3 different parkades, ranging from 15-18 degrees Celsius. Calgary is a generally dry climate and I don't know the parkades being overly humid / wet

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Issue has happened in 3 different parkades, ranging from 15-18 degrees Celsius. Calgary is a generally dry climate and I don't know the parkades being overly humid / wet
Sorry, out of ideas. Would like to help some more but don't get it. I have no idea why it would start better cold than warm, beyond the stuff already suggested. Definitely let us know if you figure it out. Merry Christmas.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hows it start in the summer? Did you ever try cycling the key on for 30 seconds and off before starting it