Tensioner failing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steamer170

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So I just replaced the factory tension on my 2012 ram. It had 240,000kms on it. I purchased a new acdelco tensioner and belt and swapped them out. About a week later the tensioner failed. I could move it back and forth by hand, so I took it out went back to the auto parts store and exchanged for a new one. (Same brand). That was Saturday. So this morning I’m driving to work just pull out of my driveway and I lose all power steering. Lucky enough to get it back into my driveway I popped the hood and the belt is loose and I can move the tensioner by hand again. So another failed tensioner. Needless to say I’m going to the dealership tomorrow to buy a mopar tensioner. Is there anything I could possibly be doing wrong? That is causing the tensioner to fail?

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
Are all your pulleys straight & lined up. I just replaced a tensioner on a vehicle & found crank damper starting to separate causing their belt noise & excessive tensioner wear

OP
OP
Steamer170

Steamer170

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Are all your pulleys straight & lined up. I just replaced a tensioner on a vehicle & found crank damper starting to separate causing their belt noise & excessive tensioner wear
Yeah originally the belt was squealing so I replaced the belt and put new tensioner in at the same time. Truck was running nice new tensioner and new belt were quiet no more squealing.