The lean is back - need some assistance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I thought I had it licked...

I got an alignment and the ride height was close to level but like many others here, my 2020 2500 4x4 has different fender heights at all four corners and while some say it's normal, I can't accept that it is "normal" with today's technology.

I bought this truck with the Snow Chief and Off Road packages for the higher ride height, skid plates and stiffer springs for when I use my plow or winching things out from where they shouldn't have ventured. Adding the weight of the plow or winching might not go as planned if there's an inch of lean to the left.

I've tried with a nearly empty fuel tank, pulling the battery, setting it up on jack stands and the measurements are the same - about an inch low on the driver side. With it up on jack stands, this tells me it's suspension and not tires, tire pressure or any other easily explainable problem and possibly something with the springs, shocks or a combination thereof. I do not plan to level the truck as the height of the SnowChief / Offroad package are sufficient for my needs and I still need to get into a standard garage door opening.

Has anyone SUCCESSFULLY resolved this problem and if so, how did you resolve it? From what I've read, this has been a problem for a while and there are no concrete fixes - aftermarket or from FCA. I've got an appointment with the dealer on Thursday this week to have them take a look and see what can be done.

I have read about others have success getting the height adjusted by adjusting the caster on the radius arms but for the life of me, can't find a good write-up on HOW to do this. I've attached pictures of my radius arm adjustments - maybe someone with more experience that I have can assist.

The driver side is pointing to the front and the passenger side is pointing to the rear.

Thanks in advance!

A9CQbN0LTDSkqKB1fNcOFQ.jpg

cWAfxe3MRMyo8kqp7f90PQ.jpg

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
I thought I had it licked...

I got an alignment and the ride height was close to level but like many others here, my 2020 2500 4x4 has different fender heights at all four corners and while some say it's normal, I can't accept that it is "normal" with today's technology.

I bought this truck with the Snow Chief and Off Road packages for the higher ride height, skid plates and stiffer springs for when I use my plow or winching things out from where they shouldn't have ventured. Adding the weight of the plow or winching might not go as planned if there's an inch of lean to the left.

I've tried with a nearly empty fuel tank, pulling the battery, setting it up on jack stands and the measurements are the same - about an inch low on the driver side. With it up on jack stands, this tells me it's suspension and not tires, tire pressure or any other easily explainable problem and possibly something with the springs, shocks or a combination thereof. I do not plan to level the truck as the height of the SnowChief / Offroad package are sufficient for my needs and I still need to get into a standard garage door opening.

Has anyone SUCCESSFULLY resolved this problem and if so, how did you resolve it? From what I've read, this has been a problem for a while and there are no concrete fixes - aftermarket or from FCA. I've got an appointment with the dealer on Thursday this week to have them take a look and see what can be done.

I have read about others have success getting the height adjusted by adjusting the caster on the radius arms but for the life of me, can't find a good write-up on HOW to do this. I've attached pictures of my radius arm adjustments - maybe someone with more experience that I have can assist.

The driver side is pointing to the front and the passenger side is pointing to the rear.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 204932

View attachment 204933
I have both my cam bolt arrows pointing at the dot your second picture is showing, the more rear word pointing one. Mine were just like yours prior to that. Once I did that it took care of my lean just like the Thuren article said it would. I will add, mine has a 2” level on it.

OP
OP
Sandevino

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
@RedneckHippy - thank you. Is it just as simple as rotating the key to the same position or do I need to loosen bolts, tighten and torque when finished. This is the part I’m missing. Thanks in advance!

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
@RedneckHippy - thank you. Is it just as simple as rotating the key to the same position or do I need to loosen bolts, tighten and torque when finished. This is the part I’m missing. Thanks in advance!
I did all this with truck on the ground, no jack. I loosened, but did not remove, the upper radius arm to axle mounting bolts on both sides to aid in settling. they are up above the cam bolts. Then I loosened the cam bolt I wanted to adjust, once it is loose you can use a wrench to clock it to the position you want, then torque the cam bolts and then tighten and torque the upper bolts. The Thuren article goes through it pretty well. I seriously suggest going to the Thuren website and finding the tech info for adjusting alignment, find the part on caster for our radius arm trucks. Obviously this is at your own risk, I have done this on multiple trucks, so I was completely comfortable doing it. I wouldn’t have done it without having the direction from Thuren though.

OP
OP
Sandevino

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
What’s the torque spec for the cam bolts?

OP
OP
Sandevino

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Problem solved. Everything is now adjusted and my ride height is perfect.

RainDesert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Problem solved. Everything is now adjusted and my ride height is perfect.
That's awesome, nice work. Are they both pointing forward now? Good info in this thread for the fix. Thanks to Redneck too.

OP
OP
Sandevino

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
They are both a few degrees to the rear but ride height is even. I’ll have it on the alignment rack this weekend to dial everything in per the Thuren specs but it’s much better!

Thanks a bunch @RedneckHippy!!

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
your other thread about the same subject, you said dealer adjusted caster to 3.6d and 3.7p. did you get the printout? that doesnt seem to add up based on your cam arrows. youve got a difference of nearly 4 marks but your cross caster is only different by .1*. my truck isnt exactly the same but i had .3 cross caster with 1.5 difference in marks. you need the printout to see whats going on

OP
OP
Sandevino

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
your other thread about the same subject, you said dealer adjusted caster to 3.6d and 3.7p. did you get the printout? that doesnt seem to add up based on your cam arrows. youve got a difference of nearly 4 marks but your cross caster is only different by .1*. my truck isnt exactly the same but i had .3 cross caster with 1.5 difference in marks. you need the printout to see whats going on

I did get a printout and it was garbage as there’s no way the caster settings were correctly reported. Today, it put it on the alignment rack got the specs after making the adjustments last night.

The alignment sheet on the left is from the dealer and the one on the right is from today. Never mind the vehicle description, I haven’t updated the software in a while.

The blue page info is the measurements the dealer tech took from the floor to frame, saying all was within spec.

Anyway, all is good now. I might screw with the castor a bit if my OCD gets the better of me, but the extra ride height sure is sweet.

794892F8-C6FF-46AB-85EF-D5B19F472751.jpeg

BDA9DBD0-EFAF-4E94-A723-D918CEA55C24.jpeg