The Ol' This vs. That - Which RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justcuz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Penstar
I'll start by stating that I'm a very active member of another sports-related forum and I typically can't stand the camparo opinion polls, but here I am. Asking for a comparison and some thoughts.

I'm an x-Chevy owner---put 175k on a Silverado before it turned to dust. Got rid of er two years ago and are re-entering the truck world. I've been intrigued by the RAM's perceived value - more for your money, but frankly struggling because our price point opens up some options (used).

First of all, US:
-SNOWY as crap climate. 250" a year on average. Moderate but consistently cold 20-degree average temps November through March. Rare but annual cold snap below zero.
-This will be a daily driver. My commute is a whopping 2 miles. HOWEVER, it's remote/isolated here so if/when we go somewhere, we're putting 500 miles on. I'd say on average that's once a month.
-We are active. Huge into mountain biking with four of us and a muddy dog. Snow skiing of all kinds. Camping. Fishing. Windsurfing. etc. Constant gear-hauling (which is why we're going back to a truck).
-We tow a 5k boat 10 times a year.
-We tow a 5k camper 10 times a year. Some of these long hauls around Lake Superior.
-But let us be honest, in the grand scheme of trucking, we're easy. I'm in it for the bed space not the towing.
-Full size is it because of the back seat (two kids). Tacomas, for example, are just too small in the back for us.
-Plan to drive it till it rusts out (likely 15 years or so).

By my exhaustive assessment, here's what our money buys us:
1) A LOADED/Limited 2016. EcoDiesel. Gen. 3 (BRAND NEW) engine because it was a lemon. I, frankly, am both incredibly intrigued and scared at the same time. We get a loaded truck with a new engine at a lower price. But the Diesel is lust, perhaps not practical for us? And...Lemon on the title (engine/EGR stuff).

2) A moderately boringly optioned 2019, new cab style. Penstar V6. Very close to us. Heated seats and that's about it.

3) A slightly more optioned up 2019, new cab style. V8 Hemi (no hybrid stuff). Similarly boring options as #2 BUT sweet moonroof. Not sure I need the Hemi.

The practical side of me says #2. #3 has the v8 which we DON'T need, but honestly the sun roof had me at hello. And what's a couple hundo in gas a year to get a sweet moonroof.

#1 is lust and diesel intrigue. Thing is loaded with heated/cooled everything, air leveling, etc. When we go for the weekend, we're driving 300-600 miles and that's interesting to me. I'd welcome But a lemon (I don't even know if I can insure it???).

I'd appreciate any thoughts/input from RAM owners. We've looked at em' all (chevy, etc.) again and again....but keep coming back to the RAM being the nicest option for the buck.

Sorry for the book, thanks for the feedback and opinions that I'll take with a grain of salt ;-)

ScrubsR1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
-Plan to drive it till it rusts out (likely 15 years or so).

Just heading out so I can only offer a short reply... if you really intend to keep a truck that long I would seriously reconsider a Toyota Tundra. Neither the diesel with the emissions garbage or the modern hemi are going to last that long without major repairs IMO. Not a popular response on a Ram forum, but unbiased nonetheless.

OP
OP
J

justcuz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Penstar
Just heading out so I can only offer a short reply... if you really intend to keep a truck that long I would seriously reconsider a Toyota Tundra. Neither the diesel with the emissions garbage or the modern hemi are going to last that long without major repairs IMO. Not a popular response on a Ram forum, but unbiased nonetheless.

Having a hard time getting past the MPG numbers on that truck. I should rephrase the longevity to: "We'd love for it to last more than 10 years". That's a role of the dice no matter what....

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
You've done the homework, members here are just going to sway you towards their opinion.

I would go with your gut instinct on this one, if you haven't driven them all I would highly recommend doing so.

What axle ratio the v6 has might jump that right off the list if 3.21.

OP
OP
J

justcuz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Penstar
You've done the homework, members here are just going to sway you towards their opinion.

I would go with your gut instinct on this one, if you haven't driven them all I would highly recommend doing so.

What axle ratio the v6 has might jump that right off the list if 3.21.

Huh, didn't realize that on the V6. I can't find it anywhere on the listing so I'll reach out to find out. Why would it cross it off (what's the issue with that ratio). We have driven them all at this point and they're all, honestly, a marked improvement over the old Chevy. Makes it hard to choose because all an upgrade.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Huh, didn't realize that on the V6. I can't find it anywhere on the listing so I'll reach out to find out. Why would it cross it off (what's the issue with that ratio). We have driven them all at this point and they're all, honestly, a marked improvement over the old Chevy. Makes it hard to choose because all an upgrade.

3.21 with V6 has a very low tow rating. It couldn't tow your stuff.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I would stay away from the diesel based on the cold & the short drive.

The V6 is very reliable, It's most likely got the 3.55 rear.

The hemi's are also good engines but do have some issues, the tend to break exhaust manifold bolts and have been known for cam & lifter failures blamed mostly on too much idling which you will probably do to warm up the engine with those cold temps.

So my vote goes to the Pentastar V6 if your test drive satisfies you.

:cheers:

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
sweet moonroof.

We're gonna have to disagree on whether moonroofs are "sweet" :Caffeine:

Get the less optioned V6 .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagom

I think I have the actual most base model 4th gen Ram ever shipped.. well except it has LSD. If a magical upgrade fairy granted me infinite factory options at the blink of an eye... I'd add power windows (they're manual cranks) and heated mirrors. Full stop.

That doesn't come from being some old guy afraid of technology - I still have all my hair and very little of it is grey, I work for a bleeding edge communications company in an engineering role. Actual technology doesn't scare me however I draw a distinction between technology and useless baubles - most of what passes for the former today is really the latter.

Consider a glass of water - it's "low tech" but it's also one of the best things in the world. If you make the glass indestructible that's high tech. Adding a phone app and blinky LEDs to the glass of water is just effing stupid.

That's how I approach everything else in the world including trucks and I am definitely not missing out on anything in my gov't fleet spec Ram. Just food for thought, enjoy whichever truck you choose.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Don't trust what the dealer tells you, often they don't really know and even if they have it listed on their ad, it can be wrong (seen it many times). Instead, click on this link and in the address bar, remove the vin # after the "=" and copy/paste the vin of the truck you are looking at after the "=" and hit enter. This will give you the build sheet for the truck which shows every single option the truck has.

https://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=3C6JR7CT6DG548523