The Perfect Oil for the 6.4L is here.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
First there is no one perfect oil. It is OK to mix oils to get the perfect oil.

I've researched the net to get the ****** Oil Analysis. Many people post Used Oil Analysis to see how well the oil maintains its additive package over time.

First read about base stock. I couldn't find reliable info on this on the oils I was looking at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

Here are the oils I use:
Rotella T6 - great cleaning additives
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4892272/shell-rotella-t6-0w-40-cj4-voa

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w 40
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...40342/how-much-moly-is-in-pennzoil-ultra-0w40

Red Line 5w 40
Ester base stock - I couldn't find the 0W 40
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3734505/1

Red Line 0w 40
Has a bit more Moly - I will try it when I find it.
https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/official-uoa-thread-with-oil-poll.787413/page-6

Rotella - 2 qts
PUP -3 qts
Red Line 2 qts

Average Per Quart

Molyboenum 266
Nickel -
Manganese -
Silver -
Titanium -
Potassium 4
Boron 153
Silicon 18
Sodium 7
Calcium 1,849
Magnesium 333
Phosphorus 930
Zinc 998
Barium -

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
Any consideration to throwing a bottle of lube guard in there for more moly?

With technology and many more uoa and voa within our reach, mixing oils is a good idea. I think we can all agree we are all trying to do what's best for our trucks. Sometimes the best closest oil is enough. But why not go further and put an even better oil in there. I'm all for it.

OP
OP
D

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Any consideration to throwing a bottle of lube guard in there for more moly?

With technology and many more uoa and voa within our reach, mixing oils is a good idea. I think we can all agree we are all trying to do what's best for our trucks. Sometimes the best closest oil is enough. But why not go further and put an even better oil in there. I'm all for it.

I would say for the price use 0w40 redline instead of 5w40.

0w has 750 or about 250 more per qt.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
O I L T H R E A D ! ! ! ! :eek:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Wow,

What a cocktail.

I have nothing against mixing within the same brand and product lineup of that brand.

For example. Mixing PUP 5w30 and 0W40. Or mixing PYB 5w30 and 10W30. All manufactures are going to say it’s OK to mix their own oils of the same product line.

But im not going to mix Valvoline modern engine, Royal Purple and redline. Additives CAN clash and reduce performance

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/235/mixing-lubricating-oils

Personally I’m not going to play bartender and start mixing things from different manufacturers.

To each his own

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
How long does Blackstone typically take for a reply to a gas engine oil analysis? Also curious on how many consumer samples they test per day.

Might just give them a ring or email tomorrow...

OP
OP
D

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Wow,

What a cocktail.

I have nothing against mixing within the same brand and product lineup of that brand.

For example. Mixing PUP 5w30 and 0W40. Or mixing PYB 5w30 and 10W30. All manufactures are going to say it’s OK to mix their own oils of the same product line.

But im not going to mix Valvoline modern engine, Royal Purple and redline. Additives CAN clash and reduce performance

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/235/mixing-lubricating-oils

Personally I’m not going to play bartender and start mixing things from different manufacturers.

To each his own

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

These are all modern synthetic motor oils.

If a dyno was mixed with a syn maybe something would happen. But as the VOA shows the additives are all the same in differing amounts.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Redline is known around here to be a very "cleaning" oil, so I'm not sure what rotella could add.

The pup in the mix also not sure of what it could add.

Honestly I think you could get away with any single one of the oils in the recipe. I would lean towards redline personally.

Have you sent your mix into Blackstone for a uoa? It might be interesting to see. BTW mixing isn't just about additives.... Different oils will have different viscosities and tbn values. Could be interesting to see how they all interact with each other.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Redline is known around here to be a very "cleaning" oil, so I'm not sure what rotella could add.

The pup in the mix also not sure of what it could add.

Honestly I think you could get away with any single one of the oils in the recipe. I would lean towards redline personally.

Have you sent your mix into Blackstone for a uoa? It might be interesting to see. BTW mixing isn't just about additives.... Different oils will have different viscosities and tbn values. Could be interesting to see how they all interact with each other.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I'm sure you don't understand the math.

Look at the links they provide the ****** Oil Analysis from Blackstone.

Then you add up the mix of oil in proportion to the quarts used and divide by 7. That gives you the per qt analysis.

You are unsure about a lot.
Thanks

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm sure you don't understand the math.

Look at the links they provide the ****** Oil Analysis from Blackstone.

Then you add up the mix of oil in proportion to the quarts used and divide by 7. That gives you the per qt analysis.

You are unsure about a lot.
Thanks

I understand %-ages and proportions just fine. Also keep in mind there are at least 3 different types of moly, so just reading "moly" doesnt give you the whole story.

The important thing (TBN) is not linear, so cant you say "2 quarts a TBN of X + 3 quarts of a TBN of Y + 2 quarts of a TBN of Z = a TBN of A". TBN is basically the measure of how long an oil can "last" before it no longer lubricates....its kinda a big deal to get an idea of.

Like I said.....send it into Blackstone and let us know.

Im genuinely curious, even to the point of disregarding the remark about my not understanding the math.

OP
OP
D

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
I understand %-ages and proportions just fine. Also keep in mind there are at least 3 different types of moly, so just reading "moly" doesnt give you the whole story.

The important thing (TBN) is not linear, so cant you say "2 quarts a TBN of X + 3 quarts of a TBN of Y + 2 quarts of a TBN of Z = a TBN of A". TBN is basically the measure of how long an oil can "last" before it no longer lubricates....its kinda a big deal to get an idea of.

Like I said.....send it into Blackstone and let us know.

Im genuinely curious, even to the point of disregarding the remark about my not understanding the math.

Blackstone does not brake down the different types of Moly. Look at the reports.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Blackstone does not brake down the different types of Moly. Look at the reports.

I know they dont. The manufacturers dont, either, because "trade secret". We can only assume, so even math cant help you there.

Are different types of moly compatible with each other? Do they react negatively? Does one negate the other? No idea.

But a UOA of the blend could give you an idea of how well everything is working together.

A VOA of it would be useful as well, to determine just how much "life" is in the oil before it starts (TBN).

OP
OP
D

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
I know they dont. The manufacturers dont, either, because "trade secret". We can only assume, so even math cant help you there.

Are different types of moly compatible with each other? Do they react negatively? Does one negate the other? No idea.

But a UOA of the blend could give you an idea of how well everything is working together.

A VOA of it would be useful as well, to determine just how much "life" is in the oil before it starts (TBN).

Molly is an inert element.
http://www.chemistryexplained.com/elements/L-P/Molybdenum.html

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Wow. Bold and only time will tell how beneficial. As an old school guy, experimenting with oils and additives,,,,,mixing different brands????? that would only be done in Cuba. LOL
But today I have become a believer in reasonable mixing of viscosity and quality proven additives.
Our first and second 2018 2500 6.4 both had first start rap. The second one also experienced summer high temp, mild rotating noise using 0-40 PUP, M1 and RL. I concluded that the base oil was simply to thin for south west climates. Today I use 5 qrts PUP 0-40, 1 PUP 5-30 and 1 qrt Lubuderm. Stopped the first start rattle and high temp noise. My none academic conclusion is, this mix is causing the oil to adhere to the top end of the engine better and not draining causing dry starts. So far oil is not breaking down but will need to test this summer when towing in 100+* weather.
I do believe that our 6.4 HD 2500 engines need better lubrication and filter attention, then the BS from the manufacture suggests. Just their "normal" operating temp tells us that a quality, better viscosity oil is necessary. Fitz

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is any of that in the oils I'm using?

Can really only educated guess it. Infineum (the largest known maker of Tri Nuclear) is owned by Mobil and Shell.

Shell makes Pennzoil products. So its possibly in the PUP and possibly (but I doubt) in the Rotella. And now with even more Pennzoil synthetic products out, they might consider only using Tri-nuke moly in their more expensive or "boutique" oils (check out the "Hybrid engine oil", "Max Performance oil", etc)

RedLine has such a high moly count, everyone assumes its not Tri-Nuclear. If you read up on Tri Nuclear moly, its peak effectiveness is at about 100ppm or so, so RedLines moly count of 500ppm in some oils would be a complete waste to be Tri Nuclear, as the Tri-nuclear stuff is (presumably) expensive.

Joseph Godvin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use the Ultra Platinum Penzoil and Add Motor Kote Hyper Lubricant every other oil change, 2 oz per quart of oil, after 1 week of driving, your oil level returns to normal, the Motor Kote is absorbed into the metal and creates a better surface for moving parts that make contact, cams, lifters, pistons, timing chains and tensioners, I also put it in the differentials, and transfer case, been using it for 10 years, never ceases to amaze me !!