The rear blew right on the highway!!!!! 2005 ram 1500 rear wheel drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

lyoooha

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500
Engine
some updates:

ive opened the case and there was fluid there, so the gears were more or less lubed

what happened is while i was driving the top shaft bearing had went (because the fluid level by now was much lower than supposed to) spraying the oil on the exhaust tank causing smoke

luckily the gears seem fine, at this point I find want to take some time and do the job right myself. I will know if thats the case only if I confirm the case itself wasnt damaged and the diff can be repaired with replacement parts

ive gotten axels out of the way, the pin out with 4 bolts, 2 clips out - at this point, the guys who posted videos of the procedure their differential comes right out, ours have special spherical indents in the case slightly different design.

At this point im trying to figure out how to pull the carri3r with gears out of the case to get to the shaft gear for observation

thank you i love this forum u guys are great

OP
OP
L

lyoooha

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500
Engine
for now no avail at junkyards

ill try car-part.com good site

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We are all keeping our fingers crossed that this a quick fix for you.

OP
OP
L

lyoooha

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500
Engine
got it out, all gears are fine, im ordering shaft bearing with case, couple of shims, washers, oil, paint, and a new damn oil sensor that did not tell me of this problem.

thanks guys so much you all have been so helpful im so glad I did not ruin all of my differential components, I think some one may have over tightened the bearing going to the shaft, it completely fell apart

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
got it out, all gears are fine, im ordering shaft bearing with case, couple of shims, washers, oil, paint, and a new damn oil sensor that did not tell me of this problem.

thanks guys so much you all have been so helpful im so glad I did not ruin all of my differential components, I think some one may have over tightened the bearing going to the shaft, it completely fell apart

either that or the crush sleve was no good or over tightened....when you put yoke back on DONOT USE IMPACT use a pipe wrench or(monkey wrench) and put it on yoke and tighten it with a wrachet untill play is gone and turns smooth lol impact is tomuch force

OP
OP
L

lyoooha

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500
Engine
I have fixed the differential . Now all we have to do is make sure this fix will be permanent. The hardest part of the fix in our house was pressing out and in the new pinion bearing. The outer (front) smaller bearing was fine.

BUT, BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG BUT

After fixing the diff and going for a test drive we found another unfortunate problem with the car. This time its in the front:

The extension housing that connects to the transmission has bearing inside. This bearing broke too and now my shaft is moving around coming out of tranny.

This is obviously a big problem as we have to support the tranny, remove the tranny mounts and get to the inside of the housing to take out bearings and rings. This is a big job. Im shocked all of this is breaking at once.

Has any one had experience in this neck of the woods?
I really need to get in there. Best reagards,

Alex

BY THE WAY HERES THE VIDEO OF THE SHUDDER:

DSCN9608 - YouTube

OP
OP
L

lyoooha

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500
Engine
There is no way to remove the bearings without removing the extension housing from what I see at this point..... just need some assistance on this as well.... you guys have been so helpful on the differential part im really glad i got a chance to do the job and learn this subject, looks like im gona be a qualified mech by the time im finished with this truck, j/k

OP
OP
L

lyoooha

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500
Engine
either that or the crush sleve was no good or over tightened....when you put yoke back on DONOT USE IMPACT use a pipe wrench or(monkey wrench) and put it on yoke and tighten it with a wrachet untill play is gone and turns smooth lol impact is tomuch force

100% with you on this one. some of those guys in videos suggested to use impacts lol

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
you can normally take off the tail shaft housing and find the bearing......mine blew a few yrs ago but i had another newer trasfercase so i just threw it on lol

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
i may be 19 but ive built 4 of my dodge rams from the ground up and iv taken 5 yrs of auto mechanics and diesel mechanics lol if you have any questions msg me if you would like i could give ya my # and you could contact me while your in the shop
And you knew about the leak,interresting.
If you ran it dry to the bone (and why in the hell did you do that?!), every bearing in your rear is toast. You are way beyond a simple gear swap. You need everything replaced. Take it to a shop.

Yeah I wouldn't mess with taking much apart here. Friction and heat already did that for ya. shop it out.