Thinking about an *UPGRADE*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lonewolf2873

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well guys it's been since February I bought my Ram.

I'm two options in or hold off?
#1 Looking at 2014 Power Wagon 2500 Laramie. That loan the bank is iffy about approving. It also IS stretching myself thin financially.
#2 Move up to Laramie 1500 with most goodies. 8.4AN, 3.92 LSD, Leather power heated and ventilated. .blah blah blah. No problem financially.
ISSUES: Blood bath on my trade in. I owe > 33K. And 2015 models right around corner.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you want a power wagon why don't you step down a level? You don't have to go all the way down to the tradesman but then you would get the features of the power wagon. I don't know of any dealers in your area that have power wagons though so you would have to order it.

OP
OP
lonewolf2873

lonewolf2873

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Already found one that they will get it for me, free of charges. It's that fat payment...lol
The 1500 Laramie IS a step down from the power wagon.
The new truck is a comfort thing. I dislike my Express seats and if I'm replacing seats all together, I'll just get truck that has the features I like. The express was a buy out of necessity of a vehicle. Point being if I order a power wagon NOT Laramie I am stuck with same seats. I also don't NEED the power wagon or its 2500 suspension.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In all honesty if it was me. And I was going to take a blood bath on the trade. I would just stick it out with the express. And upgrade your seats. Or wait another year or so and buy what you want then.

OP
OP
lonewolf2873

lonewolf2873

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually BOLD one, yes.
This forum has great people and I value their opnion. Otherwise why would I start a thread?
Nobody has to be a **** but fire away. Someone already mentioned just replace seats. Share the wealth Bold Adventurer.

OP
OP
lonewolf2873

lonewolf2873

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In all honesty if it was me. And I was going to take a blood bath on the trade. I would just stick it out with the express. And upgrade your seats. Or wait another year or so and buy what you want then.

Ya it really will depend on what they appraise it at. If they offer 25k, I'm keeping it...lol

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Go for the trade if you can afford it. Just be prepared to be buried and be sure you're happy with the truck before you sign on the dotted line. I know too many guys who have replaced, upgraded, added, etc., to keep their current vehicle only to trade six months down the road after they spent money upgrading. You're better off to bit the bullet and get what you want rather than upgrade parts/mods, only to trade in a few months. It's your money and your budget - mac & cheese isn't that bad unless you're eating it to pay for a FORD!!!!! :)

I'd take that catch can off otherwise the trade value with it will be a $5000 deduct! :)

DisturbedGator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
get what makes you happy. if youre going to throw money into the express to make it what you want, than your spending that money all the same and its still an express. Kinda like that saying; "you can put a dress on a horse but its still a horse". Id go for the power wagon if you could do it. Plus a power wagon is a POWER WAGON.

OP
OP
lonewolf2873

lonewolf2873

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go for the trade if you can afford it. Just be prepared to be buried and be sure you're happy with the truck before you sign on the dotted line. I know too many guys who have replaced, upgraded, added, etc., to keep their current vehicle only to trade six months down the road after they spent money upgrading. You're better off to bit the bullet and get what you want rather than upgrade parts/mods, only to trade in a few months. It's your money and your budget - mac & cheese isn't that bad unless you're eating it to pay for a FORD!!!!! :)

LMAO
That's another thing, all my current mods I can go back to stock and add to the 1500 Laramie. I eat Ramen noodles if I had to do those mods to power wagon...lol

HemiStarPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My buddy just tried to trade in his truck, its a 2013 Laramine and only has 11,000 on it. They only offered him 27,000 and wouldn't budge. Second dealership only offered him 24, i think. The truck is in great shape and is garage kept.

It seems like a tough decision but, changing the seats seems like it would save you more money in the long run.

Best of Luck with your choice!

OP
OP
lonewolf2873

lonewolf2873

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
get what makes you happy. if youre going to throw money into the express to make it what you want, than your spending that money all the same and its still an express. Kinda like that saying; "you can put a dress on a horse but its still a horse". Id go for the power wagon if you could do it. Plus a power wagon is a POWER WAGON.

Very true, it's going to stay an express regardless of mods.
I guess the bigger question is, is the power wagon worth it over the 1500. I don't haul or tow so I'd be THAT GUY that buys a 2500 to have it make driveway look better.....:puke:

Caldwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
IMO, based on what you have said...

skip the Power Wagon, you admitted you don't need it, other then the factor of " look what I have ". You even stated that you would be thin financially.

You have a good little list of mods already that can direct swap into a nicer equipped 1500. if you can afford a nicer 1500 without killing your wallet, then I say go that route.

I understand you view with the Express model, I hear ya pal !. I love the Express, but there are for sure options that I want that I don't have. When I am able to make a move into a high trim level I will be jumping all over it !.

OP
OP
lonewolf2873

lonewolf2873

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMO, based on what you have said...

skip the Power Wagon, you admitted you don't need it, other then the factor of " look what I have ". You even stated that you would be thin financially.

You have a good little list of mods already that can direct swap into a nicer equipped 1500. if you can afford a nicer 1500 without killing your wallet, then I say go that route.

I understand you view with the Express model, I hear ya pal !. I love the Express, but there are for sure options that I want that I don't have. When I am able to make a move into a high trim level I will be jumping all over it !.

Thanks man, that's all I needed was some people to bounce it off of. Kinda the route I was leaning towards so all is good. My power wagon dream will live to see another day.

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Thanks man, that's all I needed was some people to bounce it off of. Kinda the route I was leaning towards so all is good. My power wagon dream will live to see another day.

good call. I test drove a 2500 ctd during my last oil change, had 25 minutes to kill..it had the same novelty factor for me, look..a TRUCK!

it's nice and high and yeah its a truck, but it rides like one too..I didnt find it as comfortable as the 1500..so if you dont NEED it, I wouldnt get one.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Being thin would more than scare me off but that is me. I walked out with the Sport 4x4 with the box stating who is to be paid typed in with "free and clear", it's a great way to roll. I only replied because you asked and I would say save save save and go back another day for exactly what you want.