Thinking of making the switch to 2500 6.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkMac77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I’d get a couple older HD trucks.

My rationale, all the gasser HDs get poor mileage towing. One or the other might go down for repair, but probably not both. Cheap used parts will be available in salvage yards. Actual work trucks get beat on, get dents, grimed out interiors, etc… especially if you’re going to have employees driving them. You won’t suffer much if any depreciation on old beaters.

In metro Phoenix you never see actual work trucks that are pretty. They’re mostly clapped out rigs with dents and cracked tail light lenses.

I have a 2022 Ram 1500 my wife drives, a 2018 I bought new for towing, and a 2001 Ram 1500 I keep for doing actual dirty truck stuff.

If the kid at the feed store drops a hay bale 20 feet and it craters the tailgate on my 2001, then I go to the junk yard and scrounge a new tailgate. If that same kid did it to my 2018, there might be a bodycount.

I guess my point is, remember you are buying TOOLS. Old trucks work great. Yeah, I put $2000 in repairs/maintenance in my old 2001, but it only cost $6500 up front and it’s still worth that. And frankly, no repair will ever cost more than $2000, and the insurance & registration is dirt cheap, with no monthly payment.

Attachments

• IMG_9180.jpeg
    IMG_9180.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5686.jpeg
    IMG_5686.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 16

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’d get a couple older HD trucks.

My rationale, all the gasser HDs get poor mileage towing. One or the other might go down for repair, but probably not both. Cheap used parts will be available in salvage yards. Actual work trucks get beat on, get dents, grimed out interiors, etc… especially if you’re going to have employees driving them. You won’t suffer much if any depreciation on old beaters.

In metro Phoenix you never see actual work trucks that are pretty. They’re mostly clapped out rigs with dents and cracked tail light lenses.

I have a 2022 Ram 1500 my wife drives, a 2018 I bought new for towing, and a 2001 Ram 1500 I keep for doing actual dirty truck stuff.

If the kid at the feed store drops a hay bale 20 feet and it craters the tailgate on my 2001, then I go to the junk yard and scrounge a new tailgate. If that same kid did it to my 2018, there might be a bodycount.

I guess my point is, remember you are buying TOOLS. Old trucks work great. Yeah, I put $2000 in repairs/maintenance in my old 2001, but it only cost $6500 up front and it’s still worth that. And frankly, no repair will ever cost more than $2000, and the insurance & registration is dirt cheap, with no monthly payment.
Damn! I aint seen a 2nd gen that clean since i bought my ‘00 brand new! Thats a beaut right there hahahahah