Thought I Had Seen All the Dealer Tricks...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bought my wife's edge from our local ford dealer- 2 years later/20 thousand miles and they did all the oil changes on it from the ford maintanence plan- They saw it listed for sale in the paper - Asked me to bring it by so they can look at it and make me a offer- Owed 22k on it - " I call the wife have her run it by .. She calls me 30mins later - " They said they would give us 10k for it" ... ohhh I'm glad she took it by and not me... so took it and traded it in on my dodge.. Car buying is a little tricky, The more u know the better off you are. U did pretty good- I would of walked out after the " let me get u the friends deal " bit. Enjoy the new truck!!

OP
OP
C

Chargerrich

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why weren't you pre approved before you went in with your own bank?

Mainly because I was thinking I would get the 0 for 72 that Ram offers on new trucks. No bank would or should match that since they would not make any money.

After looking at the dealer stock, I found the longhorn that had literally every option available so I worked the CPO angle. Perhaps my bank could have beaten 3.15 but probably not by much.

OP
OP
C

Chargerrich

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Financing through a bank through your car dealer was your first mistake.

Paying for any dealer add ons including maintenance and or service contracts was your second mistake.

I hope you learn from this because it gets very expensive.

I still feel like 3.15% and a total of 4.6k interest over the life of the loan is a decent if not good deal.

As for the warranty, I know a lot of people hate these but my experience with two Lexus LS460's with air suspension tells me that when not if the air bags fail at over 100k I will have paid for the warranty. I actually plan to keep this truck for a very very long time.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mainly because I was thinking I would get the 0 for 72 that Ram offers on new trucks. No bank would or should match that since they would not make any money.

Just to note that some of the cash incentives go away when you choose 0%. There always seems to be a choice between a $500 to $1500 cash rebate or a finance deal. So, in effect, you are paying interest equivalent to the rebate up front.

In many cases, but not all cases, if you compare the monthly payment numbers for the same length loan, the 0% is a slightly better deal. So you may not have given up as much as you think by choosing the cash incentive and third party financing over 0% Chrysler financing.

When I purchased my truck, the finance manager did not mention the 0% deal, just a few bank deals. I had to ask him to run the payment numbers and he seemed surprised that 0% worked out better in the long run. Dunno if that was just because he was hoping for a bank kick back or if Chrysler also kicks back some money.

Last edited:

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol very true, no dealer offers 0% without making it back somehow on the front end out of the goodness of their hearts. And by somehow I don't mean selling after-services, I mean making sure the final sale price is more for the truck than you would have using alternate financing.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i always take the rebate. if for some reason i have to trade or replace vehicle, it is less money owed.

xdamageincx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 SRT8 HEMI
I negotiated $39990.00 for a Power Wagon that stickered @ $52K.
I alreadya had pre approval.
The dealer offered a better rate than my CU so I went with it.
A few days later the CU called me and asked if I was getting the vehicle and I told them what Happened and gavve them a rate that was better than the bank gave me (2.7) and they agreed to match it.
When I went to the finance guy the sales paperwork did not reflect the deal I negotiated on the phone and so I told him I wasn't happy that I had a 3 hr drive to get the bait and switch. He left the office for a few mins then tore the paperwork up in my face and said- Sorry, I just run the numbers they give me and" there was a mis commjnication (of $4K) "...
Out the door with $5K down Tags\Title\Taxes near $38K