Ticking noise from 09 1500.. Lifters or exhaust leak??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

taymag

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
slt
From what I have read, ticking means either the lifters are getting stuck or there's a leak somewhere in the exhaust/headers.

This problem only happens when the car is cold, usually after a few minutes of driving it goes away...

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
From what I have read, ticking means either the lifters are getting stuck or there's a leak somewhere in the exhaust/headers.

This problem only happens when the car is cold, usually after a few minutes of driving it goes away...
If the sound is low in the engine bay and at first seems to follow the engine firing rate but then becomes irregular as the engine warms; before it goes away altogether, it is probably a warped exhaust manifold with a broken bolt (s).

That's what mine did and my diagnosis was spot on. Good news for me I was still under 5 year 100K powertrain warranty--only sucky part was having to leave overnight while they ordered the manifold.

OP
OP
T

taymag

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
slt
Ill have to see where it comes from. I just know when I went to the gym I heard it (fast ticking, maybe 5 ticks a second) then on the way home I didnt hear it, and it is way louder when cold

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine was a broken exhaust bolt.

Head was not warped.

Dealer fixed under warranty.

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it's an exhaust leak it could just be swelling up once it heats up and creating a seal. Could be a broken bolt? Take your truck to an exhaust shop or have someone cover your exhaust tips and see if the ticking gets louder ha.

OP
OP
T

taymag

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
slt
Exhaust issues are usually decent priced fixes or not?

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I believe some are done under a warranty service bulletin form Chrysler.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Broken or stretched exhaust stud is the most likely issue and aren't that difficult to deal with. If it's not covered under the TSB then you can generally do the work yourself unless the bolt sheared off in the head in which case you'll be paying to have the head removed.

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I seriously can't get over how much noise comes from the engine after putting headers on. I've had it checked for an exhaust leak and also have tried seeing myself with a friends help but covering up the tailpipes makes zero sound change in the engine bay where the noise seems to be coming from. But it's annoying to say the least.

And my sound doesn't go away when the truck is warm or cold.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Factory log manifolds are hefty pieces of cast iron that absorb a lot of the noise and don't resonate, the tube headers are very thin material so you hear a lot of the valve noise through them. I have mine wrapped in thermal cloth and I don't have nearly the same noise when I listen closely over the supercharger's whine. If I use a mechanic's stethoscope it's not as pronounced as my unwrapped headers were.

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Factory log manifolds are hefty pieces of cast iron that absorb a lot of the noise and don't resonate, the tube headers are very thin material so you hear a lot of the valve noise through them. I have mine wrapped in thermal cloth and I don't have nearly the same noise when I listen closely over the supercharger's whine. If I use a mechanic's stethoscope it's not as pronounced as my unwrapped headers were.

What kind of thermal cloth did you use? Have any pictures? I'm intrigued.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
What kind of thermal cloth did you use? Have any pictures? I'm intrigued.

Also known as header wrap. I work around insulators a lot and this stuff is called thermal cloth in the industry but automotive gets called header wrap since that's all it's used for.

IMG_0650_zpsrj2sqf0j.jpg

IMG_0648_zpspdiyqnhx.jpg

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How hard do you think it would be to wrap it after its already installed?? Ha.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Yeah, it's a pain. I had to redo both of my headers since the black wrap I was talked into bleached out completely within a few months, I wasn't impressed so I went with the 'Volcanic' wrap the second time and I tried doing it installed and got pissed and left it until I pulled the heads a month later to fix a head gasket issue.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've never wrapped vehicle headers but have done quite a few quad headers and there's no way I'd do it with them installed.

I can only imagine the nightmare lol

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had my exhaust manifold bolts replaced after experiencing the "ticking" noise, it was done under warranty and resolved the issue.

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you climbed under there when it's cold?

AkNomad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I have the same issue and found a busted rear exhaust bolt on the passengers side under the heat shield. I called an automotive shop and talked to them about it and he told me that all the bolts should be replaced on both sides and it's possible that the manifolds could be cracked.

To replace all the bolts it would cost me about $600 and a lot more if either manifolds are cracked. I was going to repair it myself but the bolt that's busted may have to be drilled out and I don't want to be the one to have to do it.