Ticking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i noticed that sometimes when i start my truck there is a ticking noise it’s pretty loud. But only ticks half a dozen times at most then stops.

Anybody know what this is?

Mac772

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There is no such thing as a “Hemi Tick”.
That phrase was coined by Chrysler to avoid having to replace exhaust header bolts. The header bolts on every Hemi are inferior and have an issue with temperature related torque settings. While nothing will happen to your truck in the short term, in the long run, the header bolts will snap from constantly being too loose/ too tight with temperature change. There’s a TSB for this issue. I replaced all my header bolts with the new improved ones along with new gaskets. It’s a big job, but after install and proper torque....... the “Hemi Tick” no longer exists. I was lucky enough to replace the bolts before they snapped, and that’s key!!! I replaced my bolts at 70,000 miles. I’m now at 104,000 with no ticking.... ever. Do not wait until they snap!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hemi Tick, 1/2 of the time it is exhaust bolts, 1/2 of the time it is lifters, if you are lucky it isn't the lifters. Search forum "titles only" for Hemi Tick, there is about 100 threads on it. If it is lifters look for oils with Molybdenum.

OP
OP
Dougiefresh2012
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
thanks fro the info . its not lifter or valve tick truck is brand new only have about 8k on it.

must be header bolts im going to look into replacing.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do a little research before replacing them. From what I have read here the bolts snap due to slight warping manifold that occurs. That warping obviously has a stopping point. At that point you would think you could replace them and have no further issues. All of that info seems to make sense.

However, I have read from guys on here that they have replaced them multiple times. That doesn't make sense if the warping is the sole cause of snapping the bolts. That leads me to believe that some replacement bolts then may be susceptible to snapping from the continuous heating and cooling and warping manifold may have nothing to do with it at that point.

I believe some have found better replacement bolts and have had no issues. Others have just installed headers to fix the issue.

Sorry, I don't have all the precise details, but these are a few things I have observed on the forum. I am sure others will chime in with more detailed explanations and options to resolve indefinitely.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
There is no such thing as a “Hemi Tick”.
That phrase was coined by Chrysler to avoid having to replace exhaust header bolts. The header bolts on every Hemi are inferior and have an issue with temperature related torque settings. While nothing will happen to your truck in the short term, in the long run, the header bolts will snap from constantly being too loose/ too tight with temperature change. There’s a TSB for this issue. I replaced all my header bolts with the new improved ones along with new gaskets. It’s a big job, but after install and proper torque....... the “Hemi Tick” no longer exists. I was lucky enough to replace the bolts before they snapped, and that’s key!!! I replaced my bolts at 70,000 miles. I’m now at 104,000 with no ticking.... ever. Do not wait until they snap!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See your point. When you have the time could you tell us what grade bolts were used to correct the problem.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Working with FCA now on this issue. 2018 2500 6.4 3500 miles. Dealer says they checked manifold and bolts, no problem. "Exhaust leak is below the manifolds" Current TSB only address manifold and manifold bolts. They agree, it has an exhaust leak. BUT can not correct this exhaust leak until it either sets a code, breaks or they get a TSB or alert from FCA.
Would like to know if other members have any knowledge, experience or thoughts on this.