Tire Opinions - TOYO OPEN COUNTRY A/T III vs. FIRESTONE DESTINATION X/T

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick_Hunts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looking at these 2 tires, in a 285x60x20

I have a level kit (Bilstein) and don't plan to go any higher. I drive very little (work from home) so most of my driving is to the store, church , stores etc.

I live on some acreage and have had at times needed to use my truck to pull my SxS or lawnmower out of a ditch (don't ask) I could use my tractor put it's easier to just hop in the truck.

I also live off a dirt/gravel road and drive on my property

So I am not looking for anything like the stock tires which were pure street IMO

Any thoughts or feedback is appreciated

Looking for an AT but not overly aggressive, have been down that road with my Tacoma and wife Jeep

TOYO OPEN COUNTRY A/T III
FIRESTONE DESTINATION X/T

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I would go with the TOYOs .... have you checked out the Nitto Ridge Grapplers? I wouldn't even mess with the Firestones lol ...

I have the Nitto Ridge Grapplers which are not overly aggressive... they have a good pattern and are quiet and ride very smooth..... I have now had them on my truck for 15k miles and they still look good, no offroad on them and they handle good in the rain as well ...

OP
OP
Rick_Hunts

Rick_Hunts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would go with the TOYOs .... have you checked out the Nitto Ridge Grapplers? I wouldn't even mess with the Firestones lol ...

I have the Nitto Ridge Grapplers which are not overly aggressive... they have a good pattern and are quiet and ride very smooth..... I have now had them on my truck for 15k miles and they still look good, no offroad on them and they handle good in the rain as well ...

They are a little to aggressive, I've had 2 sets of Nitro (terra) on my Jeep and 1 on my F150 and just didn't like them, we gave them the benefit of the doubt on the jeep and tried them twice

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Why didn't you like the Terras? ... And when you say aggressive what is your definition of aggressive? ...the tread pattern, the noise, the weight..... what exactly do you want out of your next tire set ?

OP
OP
Rick_Hunts

Rick_Hunts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why didn't you like the Terras? ... And when you say aggressive what is your definition of aggressive? ...the tread pattern, the noise, the weight..... what exactly do you want out of your next tire set ?

Terras wore out quickly and handling oddly on my wife's jeep.

Aggressive would be Goodyear Wrangler , mud terrain etc.

Jon2017

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A buddy of mine put 66,000 miles on a set of toyo open country At2's, since then he has put on a set of At3s and they pull better but he is getting more tread wear. Apples to oranges on the truck though it was a 2008 silverado so about as much power as a miata.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Well Terras should of lasted you around 50k miles ...but being that you had them on a jeep is it ok to assume you took it offroad with the Terras? If you did then that is why they wore out pretty quickly ...

The Ridge Grapplers to me are a very balance tire .... I have seen on forums where people are actually getting 60k out of them which is damn good for a "HYBRID" tire which is why I suggested the Ridge Grappler to you .... it is not going to be as soft as the Terra if you "Are" going offroad with it and "should" last you longer ...

MTs are not going to last you as long if you are daily driving it plus going offroad .. expect to get 30k out of MTs if you daily drive it and go offroading .... but some people do get 50k out of MTs surprisingly though ..... that is why I agreed to go with the Ridge Grapplers because I wanted an aggressive looking tire that would also give me at least 50k-60k miles out of them without going offroad with them ...

Don't expect to get 45k miles out of a tire set if you are going to be going offroad with them and you don't want aggressive ones ....

So next question is what kind of driving are you doing with it .. I see you live on a gravel road which shouldn't be too bad but how many miles do you drive it daily?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
A buddy of mine put 66,000 miles on a set of toyo open country At2's, since then he has put on a set of At3s and they pull better but he is getting more tread wear. Apples to oranges on the truck though it was a 2008 silverado so about as much power as a miata.

We had 3 buddies come in one time at the same time with some fords on 40" MTs ... they each got different mileage out of them but surprisingly they all got above 60k ... one of them had 82k and change and one had 70K .... they did say they went offroading but not rock crawling ... they pulled their RVs and toy haulers as well ... it really has to do with our driving habits which will determine how long our tires last and how we maintain them, do we rotate when we have to, do we keep them properly inflated ... these guys came for oil changes every 3k miles and we rotated, changed all filters, rebalance tires every single time .... every 3 months they got their alignments checked as well ... they didn't mind paying the extra money to get all this done so their trucks were always running good ...

Jon2017

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree that the life of the tire has to do with how you dive 100%. With that being said i think that those tires did give him a good chance, he personally didn't do too much to keep them good. Just let them ride out.

OP
OP
Rick_Hunts

Rick_Hunts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well Terras should of lasted you around 50k miles ...but being that you had them on a jeep is it ok to assume you took it offroad with the Terras? If you did then that is why they wore out pretty quickly ...

The Ridge Grapplers to me are a very balance tire .... I have seen on forums where people are actually getting 60k out of them which is damn good for a "HYBRID" tire which is why I suggested the Ridge Grappler to you .... it is not going to be as soft as the Terra if you "Are" going offroad with it and "should" last you longer ...

MTs are not going to last you as long if you are daily driving it plus going offroad .. expect to get 30k out of MTs if you daily drive it and go offroading .... but some people do get 50k out of MTs surprisingly though ..... that is why I agreed to go with the Ridge Grapplers because I wanted an aggressive looking tire that would also give me at least 50k-60k miles out of them without going offroad with them ...

Don't expect to get 45k miles out of a tire set if you are going to be going offroad with them and you don't want aggressive ones ....

So next question is what kind of driving are you doing with it .. I see you live on a gravel road which shouldn't be too bad but how many miles do you drive it daily?

I drive maybe 100 miles a week and includes a 60 mile round trip to church

No as I stated I don't off road other than the dirt road and fields on my property I drive to maintain the place.

I'm old I did all my rock crawling years ago in lifted jeep that I put Dana 60 with ARB front and rear, talk about expensive, custom axles from currie enterprises..

Anyway..

This Ram off the lot rides better than any truck and most cars I've owned.

I don't want to sacrifice to much ride but I also need some traction for when working on my property

Jon2017

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think that a toyo At either the At2 or At3 would be the best choice and would be the tire I would go with in your situation.

OP
OP
Rick_Hunts

Rick_Hunts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think that a toyo At either the At2 or At3 would be the best choice and would be the tire I would go with in your situation.

Appreciated, that's the way I've been leaning

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I drive maybe 100 miles a week and includes a 60 mile round trip to church

No as I stated I don't off road other than the dirt road and fields on my property I drive to maintain the place.

I'm old I did all my rock crawling years ago in lifted jeep that I put Dana 60 with ARB front and rear, talk about expensive, custom axles from currie enterprises..

Anyway..

This Ram off the lot rides better than any truck and most cars I've owned.

I don't want to sacrifice to much ride but I also need some traction for when working on my property

Not bad then with the miles driven ....

I think though that the hell you probably put those tires through though on your property attributed to the quick wear ....

Honestly I would get some MTs like the toyos or Nitto Grapplers if I were you but that's just me ... If you don't do much daily driving the MTs or the grapplers should last you a long time since you don't do any offroading ....

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine

Yeah the Toyo AT is just like the Nitto Ridge Grappler which is Nittos sister company and their version of the AT tire but they refer to it as a Hybrid ..... you can't go wrong with either the Toyo AT or the Nitto Ridge Grappler, they are basically the same tire company and same tire in my opinion ....

OP
OP
Rick_Hunts

Rick_Hunts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not bad then with the miles driven ....

I think though that the hell you probably put those tires through though on your property attributed to the quick wear ....

Wife's jeep wasn't used on property, we don't live in Utah for the wheels to get beat up, grassy fields and groomed dirt trails, once a month or so..

Yeah, MT's might look good but they were never an option, the miles I drive are all 45mph and up

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have run Toyo AT2 and AT3 and if you are thinking of the AT3 also consider the Falken AT3W which I have also run and really like. I currently am Running Toyo RT's which I really like. The RT is closer to the Ridge Grappler than the AT3 is. My buddy is running Ridge Grapplers in 35/12.5-17 which is what I am running in the RT's and strange as it is the ridge grapplers look visually bigger but the RT's actually measure out slightly taller and wider. they are both on AEV salta wheels and the same psi. it is strange. He just rotated his tires and he told me they have gotten loud and he probably only has 6000 miles on them.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
i have run Toyo AT2 and AT3 and if you are thinking of the AT3 also consider the Falken AT3W which I have also run and really like. I currently am Running Toyo RT's which I really like. The RT is closer to the Ridge Grappler than the AT3 is. My buddy is running Ridge Grapplers in 35/12.5-17 which is what I am running in the RT's and strange as it is the ridge grapplers look visually bigger but the RT's actually measure out slightly taller and wider. they are both on AEV salta wheels and the same psi. it is strange. He just rotated his tires and he told me they have gotten loud and he probably only has 6000 miles on them.

My Grapplers have 15k+ miles and they are as quiet as the day the were slapped on ....

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I have the Firestone XT's on my 3500. I like them a lot. Did very well in the winter for traction. I wouldn't hesitate to try them on a 1500.