Tire Recommendation for Colorado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David776895

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, I know there are tons of tire recommendation threads out there and I've gone through about 25 of them. But none of them felt specific to what I am looking for.

My driving. I live in Colorado, so I get some snow, but not a lot. I don't do any off-road driving, but I am planning on purchasing a trailer soon. Mostly street driving short distances, driving my kids around.

Recommendations please?

MidTennMtneer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
1500? Want stock size? P-metric or LT?

Sorry if some of that info is in your signature. Tapatalk doesn’t show sigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

David776895

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My bad... 2017 Big Horn 4x4 Crew Cab. Looking for Stock size. I would prefer P-metric as most of my driving is on-road, but I do plan on getting a travel trailer, so not sure if that's an option.

MidTennMtneer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
My bad... 2017 Big Horn 4x4 Crew Cab. Looking for Stock size. I would prefer P-metric as most of my driving is on-road, but I do plan on getting a travel trailer, so not sure if that's an option.

I would strongly suggest the Falken Wildpeak AT3. I’ve had them and they are a fantastic tire. I’d have them again if it wasn’t for wanting a super aggressive look with my lift.

They wear great. Have stock size in p metric, look more aggressive than stock, and truly have great snow traction.

You’ll find lots of threads and pics on here.

OP
OP
D

David776895

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's what I use in Colorado. Or any other m+s tire. No sense in putting up with a more aggressive tread here. If your going to buy a trailer in the future I would put on the LT tires.
So you are recommending the Defenders unless I am towing, then you are saying the Falken's?

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Michelin Defender
That's what I use in Colorado. Or any other m+s tire. No sense in putting up with a more aggressive tread here. If your going to buy a trailer in the future I would put on the LT tires.

Defenders are what I had in CO, too, on my 2001. Never had a problem with them, even during hunting season in the mountains. Although, sometimes the snow was so deep, chains were necessary to get up and down the mountains. They're good enough that I'll be getting them again to replace the factory Firestones on my 2018. They did well on one Vegas trip in December with continuous snow/ice on I-70 from the Ike Tunnel past De Beque Canyon, a blizzard through central Utah on another Vegas trip, and snowpack from Vail Pass to the Ike Tunnel on yet another trip coming back from Vegas. I had 6-ply LT tires on my half ton since, every now and then, I towed a heavy horse trailer full of fat horses and a trailer of hay (not at the same time).

If your prospective TT is not too heavy, you can get by with P metrics. You'll have a rougher ride with the LTs, and being a heavier tire, your mileage will suffer, and they cost more.

MidTennMtneer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
The Defender is a good tire. My Dad has them on his Ram. Likes them very well.

I’m just partial to aggressive sidewalls. [emoji3]

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would be sure the.p rated tires are to handle the trailer weight.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djse7en