Tonneau covers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Or them little pop-up tie downs. Those would work too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The front pop up tie downs went in no problem. I took the seal off the bottom of the roll top rail, then cut a notch to fit the pop up tie down in at the back and then put the seal back. The cover latches to the tailgate with a piece you screw on and the lock is linked to the latches that lock into the rail and onto the tailgate. It gets a bit of water in and dust at the back end because I don't run a tailgate seal and as long as you clean the drains occasionally it stays pretty dry under there. I haven't wrecked any cardboard yet. This is my 3rd one.

Attachments

• IMG_20171126_124350.jpg
    IMG_20171126_124350.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20171126_123709.jpg
    IMG_20171126_123709.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20171126_123602.jpg
    IMG_20171126_123602.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 47

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The front pop up tie downs went in no problem. I took the seal off the bottom of the roll top rail, then cut a notch to fit the pop up tie down in at the back and then put the seal back.
Hopefully the top rail wont have to be trimmed to fit those tubular rails like these-
0c4d6fd9b61a11940265b2ada071b219.jpg

The cover latches to the tailgate with a piece you screw on and the lock is linked to the latches that lock into the rail and onto the tailgate.
Is that the only part that requires drilling?

It gets a bit of water in and dust at the back end because I don't run a tailgate seal and as long as you clean the drains occasionally it stays pretty dry under there. I haven't wrecked any cardboard yet. This is my 3rd one.

Yeah, I’m debating the idea of whether or not to 86 the factory bedliner and put in a bed rug with another strip of that Extang tailgate seal stuff.

MyRAMatDunkinDonuts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess it depends on how often you want it on the truck. I like having an open bed, so I just got a cheap $150 cover from AMZ for those 1-3 times a year I might need it. It'll be stored most of the year so very limited wear and tear.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess it depends on how often you want it on the truck. I like having an open bed, so I just got a cheap $150 cover from AMZ for those 1-3 times a year I might need it. It'll be stored most of the year so very limited wear and tear.

I know for myself that mine will be on the bed all the time. I like having my bed covered. Not sure if it really does help fuel mileage the way they say it does but it sure does make for a clean look in my opinion.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hopefully the top rail wont have to be trimmed to fit those tubular rails like these-
0c4d6fd9b61a11940265b2ada071b219.jpg

Is that the only part that requires drilling?

You'd have to modify the rails to fit those arms since it 1/2 covers the rear stake pockets. There's also 2 strips that attach on either side of the box that you clamp to because the box is tapered and the cover is square. It's pretty dry, but I don't know if it's bedrug dry. You'd probably want a cover that goes over the outside edges if that's the route you want to go as I do get a bit of moisture through the outside of the rails. Not much, but maybe enough to give you a mildew problem long term with the carpet. Did you notice the custom tie down rails I welded up that wrap over the wheel wells on both sides and are tied into the floor and under the lip of the box. It makes a lot of tie down points and also in my case a good place to lock bikes to. They weren't too complicated to make.
And they still clear my bed extender.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got the Retrax One MX & really like it. The One is the cheaper model. The Pro is the heavy duty pricier one.

The regular model One & Pro are gloss finish. The MX designation is the Matte finish.

UcAqNQe.jpg

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You'd have to modify the rails to fit those arms since it 1/2 covers the rear stake pockets. There's also 2 strips that attach on either side of the box that you clamp to because the box is tapered and the cover is square.
Hmm.

I might have to continue looking at all brands, then. I thought I saw some in my past online searches where both stake pockets were uncovered.

It's pretty dry, but I don't know if it's bedrug dry. You'd probably want a cover that goes over the outside edges if that's the route you want to go as I do get a bit of moisture through the outside of the rails. Not much, but maybe enough to give you a mildew problem long term with the carpet.
Yeah, I’m not sure how these bedrugs are, never had one but from what I’ve read, they’re not like actual carpet but, I know about mildew from being covered by a tonneau cover or camper shell since it’s not open to the air.

Did you notice the custom tie down rails I welded up that wrap over the wheel wells on both sides and are tied into the floor and under the lip of the box. It makes a lot of tie down points and also in my case a good place to lock bikes to. They weren't too complicated to make.
And they still clear my bed extender.

I saw that, I was wondering what those were. That’s pretty neat. I guess I don’t really need the chrome bedrail tubes, I was just wanting another way to tie cargo down instead of relying on the bed tie-downs near the floor. Like I said, I’ll just have to do a little more research...[emoji41]

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I might just have to go with something like the Retrax Pro MX or equivalent since it has the option with, or without stake pocket cutouts.
97229ccb1c226b865c227404dca780b7.jpgd69618116199cf07c14b418d3f99ff1c.jpg78ca2ceb8c54a0b3091fe38591d596bf.jpg

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The retrax was the cover I considered switching to. The only problem I had with it is the case for the cover was a lot bigger and I couldn't get my smaller toolboxes under it like I can with the roll n lock and I use every inch of space I have for tools and parts when I'm working. Quality cover though as far as I can tell. Also considered a tri fold because they're a bit more weather proof, but i'm in and out of the box constantly and they're a pain to open and close if you need access to the front of the box often.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
When I was searching I also noticed Pace Edwards had a tonneau with channels you could mount roof racks or other roof rack style things to so you could load the box with stuff, cover it and throw more stuff on top if you buy the rails that run across. Which I thought was pretty cool. Once again it took up a bit too much bed space for my liking and i've heard their retracting spring can have issues, but it might be worth looking into. I think they're a bit cheaper cost wise as well.

mh3c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had the FiberMax for nearly a year now and I love it. Level with the bed rails, tri-fold, looks great. And everything stays dry. Got mine for like $800 with free shipping.

OP
OP
Nystagmus

Nystagmus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn CC
Engine
Anyone have any experience with the Gator Recoil or the Patriot Stealth LT ? Both are retractable covers for < $1k.

Truck Brigade

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
6.7L
There's a lot of great covers out there, depending on the price range you're looking to be in. From our experience, BAK Industries is by far the most popular selling hard folding cover we offer, while the Retrax is our best retractable covers. We have personally used them on company trucks and the quality is quite impressive. The Retrax covers use a sealed ball bearin system, can lock in any position and come with a lifetime warranty.

Truck Brigade

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
6.7L
Th
Anyone have any experience with the Gator Recoil or the Patriot Stealth LT ? Both are retractable covers for < $1k.
ose are both nice quality products. However I would spend the extra money and get the Gatortrax over the Gator Recoil if it were me.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If you go with Retrax, give Mourie a shout at forum vender tonneaufactoryoutlet.com. He cut me a great deal with free expedited shipping on a PRO MX.