Tool Set Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oliver_Closov

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 w/6.4ft bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
I tried searching on this forum, but also google and everyone lists lug nut sizes (apparently 22mm or 7/8"), but I am trying to build a decent tool roll and am hoping to NOT bring an entire (heavy/bulky) 300pc tool set as I saw one person suggest.
What are the best sizes for wrenches and sockets? It seems that metric is most common, but some say randomly SAE will be used. I figured I'd have a 3/8 and 1/2 drive ratchet (along with extensions and an adapter for 1/4" to handle some smaller torx and nut drive sockets).
If you were building a tool set without completely useless tools, what would you choose?
I have very little mech exp. but I'd like to have tools on hand in case of emergency.
Thanks Guys!

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
If you do the back seat flip Foreward mod you can easily throw one of these in the back behind it with no worries or lost space. I've done this with mine, I also carry tire plugs a small compressor, battery booster and a spare belt because you would be screwed if one of those came apart in the middle of nowhere. d3d7d2d57791e129e72b3bf3b58f389d.jpg

RobertusvT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I carry metric tool case I got on amazon from tekton. I would definitely recommend a breaker bar as well just in case the last person who worked on your truck impacted your lug nuts on. I'll probably get some hate on this, but I personally like going to harbor freight. The tools are good quality for the price in my opinion and they always have sales.

OP
OP
Oliver_Closov

Oliver_Closov

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I actually purchased the Harbor Freight 301pc set to grab an assortment of what I'd need without borrowing from my home set.
I also grabbed a box of fuses, small can of wd-40, wire stripper/crimper tool, long nose vise grips, metal shears, black zip ties, assorted hose clamp set, and 9mil disposable gloves for chems and solvents.

Separately I already have an off-road recovery set up with tire repair and air compressor (among other recovery related straps, shackles, etc)

OP
OP
Oliver_Closov

Oliver_Closov

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you do the back seat flip Foreward mod you can easily throw one of these in the back behind it with no worries or lost space. I've done this with mine, I also carry tire plugs a small compressor, battery booster and a spare belt because you would be screwed if one of those came apart in the middle of nowhere. d3d7d2d57791e129e72b3bf3b58f389d.jpg

I've been considering the backseat mod, but until then I just planned to keep a tool roll stuffed under that same basic area

OP
OP
Oliver_Closov

Oliver_Closov

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I carry metric tool case I got on amazon from tekton. I would definitely recommend a breaker bar as well just in case the last person who worked on your truck impacted your lug nuts on. I'll probably get some hate on this, but I personally like going to harbor freight. The tools are good quality for the price in my opinion and they always have sales.

I planned on grabbing a breaker bar, duct tape, electrical tape, maybe JB Weld or Super glue, or both

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Realistically how much are you going to do in the field(on the road). That will determine the extent of the tools you will probably need. Past the "normal" tire changing tools and recovery strap you might carry tools enough to replace a broken serpentine belt. Other than that, and I really hate to say this, maybe a AAA card would be a good alternative.
PS---Always have a 10mm wrench and socket--you can damn near take the whole truck apart with one. LOL
Jay

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dewalt tool set sits in my bed like what’s pictured above (tonneau cover), I keep a Noco battery booster underneath the back seat... along with a breaker bar. Milwaukee impact stays in one of the floor boxes just in case. Usually I have my work toolbox with me with larger socket but I would probably recommend a simple larger socket set that you can keep underneath the seat. Should be enough to get u out of a pinch unless it’s major.

( eventually I’ll do the seat mod and keep my dewalt set behind the seat instead)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Oliver_Closov

Oliver_Closov

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Realistically how much are you going to do in the field(on the road). That will determine the extent of the tools you will probably need. Past the "normal" tire changing tools and recovery strap you might carry tools enough to replace a broken serpentine belt. Other than that, and I really hate to say this, maybe a AAA card would be a good alternative.
PS---Always have a 10mm wrench and socket--you can damn near take the whole truck apart with one. LOL
Jay

Totally! Combine that with the fact that I don't even know how to fix anything too complicated.
I just figured it was wise to have a set of what will commonly break or cause problems in the field (i.e. out of AAA's reach) for the chance that a partner, or trail angel has the skills.
To some degree this could mean belts, hoses, duct tape, tie downs and zip ties to hold together whatever until I can get off the trail.
My thinking was if my truck mostly only requires 10,12, and 15mm, why should I carry 5-9mm and 16-32mm (let alone the entire set of SAE)?

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I carry a small combination set along with spare fuses, and the Most 2 important items: 22 MM Deep Well 6 Point Socket and a good size breaker bar. Cause dem lug nuts can be a real bear. If I take a long trip, I also carry a torque wrench. And, IMHO, get 1/2" drive for the bar and socket, U will appreciate it if U get in that pinch.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Totally! Combine that with the fact that I don't even know how to fix anything too complicated.
I just figured it was wise to have a set of what will commonly break or cause problems in the field (i.e. out of AAA's reach) for the chance that a partner, or trail angel has the skills.
To some degree this could mean belts, hoses, duct tape, tie downs and zip ties to hold together whatever until I can get off the trail.
My thinking was if my truck mostly only requires 10,12, and 15mm, why should I carry 5-9mm and 16-32mm (let alone the entire set of SAE)?

If U gonna carry sets, U need SAE and Metric, the majority of sizes, and if possible 1/2" drive more sturdy than 3/8" drive, plus my comment in #10. Not much gonna break on dat 5.7 that U can do in the field, that U would not need access to an Autozone or such. The biggest item maybe, be serpentine belt and a blown fuse. Maybe add a 12V tester or cheap ohm meter, but that is more of a home project.

WORD OF CAUTION: If U tow and plug in stuff to yer 7 pin, and what U R pulling not brand new, make sure all power/lights off to that 7 pin. Because if U have a bad ground ne where when U plug into live, it will BLOW the 20 amp cartridge fuse for the running lights on a trailer. ASK me how I know?? LOL?? Have U a couple extra 20 amp cartridge ones, dealer have em in stock. Just IMHO.....

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

DEWALT makes nice sets, but they are not $29.00 Walmart sets for sure, LOL. Brandon U be on the high end, LOL... I have 2 sets that equals yer one, and I always carry my 1/2" breaker and 22 MM socket and torque when I travel.

ADDED: U ever get settled in yet? Have U played around with the new MY 19/20 DT trucks yet with the 48-11 set ups ref lock switch??? Curious... since I got a MY 19 with the 48-11 BW..

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
DEWALT makes nice sets, but they are not $29.00 Walmart sets for sure, LOL. Brandon U be on the high end, LOL... I have 2 sets that equals yer one, and I always carry my 1/2" breaker and 22 MM socket and torque when I travel.

ADDED: U ever get settled in yet? Have U played around with the new MY 19/20 DT trucks yet with the 48-11 set ups ref lock switch??? Curious... since I got a MY 19 with the 48-11 BW..
I'm always on the high end or so it seems. That's in cad$ [emoji1787] I'm still in limbo. In between places waiting to find a place to rent with a garage. Then I'll be hard at it again.

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I carry a 100 piece Stanley black chrome set with 3/8" and 1/2" drive in my truck under my back seat. Haven't had to open it yet. *Knocks on wood*