Top bed covers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LI Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I have the UnderCover Flex hard cover (kept outside 100% and is a daily driver)and is does leak slightly at the tailgate (in heavy downpours)otherwise no problems . It locks with the tailgate and also doesn't cover the 3rd brake light when folded completely....

HM_SanDiego

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Hydro/Laser Blue CC Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am thinking about going with the Weathertech hard aluminium cover here. https://www.weathertech.com/ram/201...ram-1500-box-size/5-7-box/ram-1500-rambox/no/

Assuming the OP is stepping up from a soft cover, the money difference may be a shock, but, I personally believe it is completely worth the investment.

That cover from weathertech is almost identical to the Lomax, but the Lomax offers 3 different surface finishes - certainly worth comparing with the Weathertech - especially looking at the warranties side by side. I have heard/read great things about the customer service from Lomax.

My last truck had an Extang Solid Fold, Tri fold cover, and I was fairly happy with its fit and function, but I also got it at a ridiculous bargain at $400 delivered.....when I got my Ram, I wanted something different. I currently have a Ranch brand solid fiberglass tonneau, and it fits my use perfectly, but I strongly considered the tri fold style, focusing on the Lomax and the A.R.E. Fusion.

So, as others have offered, you really need to consider how you are going to use your truck and what cover fits your needs best.

In my humble opinion- the best all around tonneau cover is the solid tri fold design cover - security, fit, protection from the elements, ease of removal and installation, and overall looks. If I were buying a new cover, I would be looking at the Weathertech, the Lomax, & the A.R.E. Fusion - all low profile, solid and well constructed, and reportedly weather tight. Yes they are an investment, but, I believe it is a worthy investment.

good luck - happy shopping.

https://www.agricover.com/lomax/res...00&choose_bed=5ft+7in+Bed+(w/o+RamBox+System)

https://realtruck.com/p/a-r-e-fusion-tonneau-cover/v/ram/truck-1500/2018/

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have had the bak flip for 8yrs -no issues -no leak-it has drain tubes at the front of bed. The newer bak-flips i would expect to be as good or better unless quality has declined. But 8yrs and performing as new is enough reason for me to buy another when i need a new truck.DSC00561.JPG

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have had the bak flip for 8yrs -no issues -no leak-it has drain tubes at the front of bed. The newer bak-flips i would expect to be as good or better unless quality has declined. But 8yrs and performing as new is enough reason for me to buy another when i need a new truck.View attachment 197191
I have noticed that there are a lot more options today than there was even 5yrs ago so it makes it a more complicated decision than just a soft or hard cover!

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Hands down the Bak Flip has held true. Not only providing a tight seal to keep water out, it gives peace of mind at keeping whatever is in your bed out of sight and securely locked. Granted its not cheap, but definitely a case of "you get what you pay for".

Last edited:

shackman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a Bak Roll X super tough you can stand on it and it rolls all the way back to the cab for full bed use, however it does have a small leak in the front right side but it only leaks going thru a car wash.(first out in 2014 I hear there water proof now) best cover I have had other then a fiberglass ARE still got one on my Dakota.

tcburch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My experience with trifold covers is that they leak. That’s not good in the Seattle area. That’s why on my last truck and my current Ram I have an Undercover one piece hard cover. No leaks. My camping gear etc is always dry.
I agree Bruce...I wish I had learned my lesson with Extang tri-folds after my experience with my 2012 Laramie...but, I wanted their front locking panel so I got one for my 2019 Longhorn 1500...it leaks...and I've tried refitting it, added seals around the edges, as well as trying some rigging along the panel hinges, etc. to no avail. I'm going one-piece hard cover...maybe before it's even a year old...

skillzzs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
ABSOLUTELY! I will message you now
Just wanted to throw a big THANKS out to Nick at GotExhaust for the excellent customer service and discounted pricing on my new BakFlip MX4 cover! Not only did he respond quickly to all my questions, but he was able to offer me very competitive pricing, and it shipped and was received within a few days of paying for it!!! I would highly recommend members reach out to Nick before looking elsewhere!!!!

UgB4e

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I also recommend the BakFlip. I had it on my 07 and never had a problem. When I bought my 18 I was going to go with a Bakflip but I saw a Gator branded one that was identical. It had pretty good reviews but I just noticed that it has started to ripple the aluminum. I never had this problem with the Bakflip and now I am in the process of getting a truck topper so i won't need a tonneau.