Topper Price Quote Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raggedolram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all,

First off, greetings as this is my first post in the forum. I recently bought a 2016 5.7 Big Horn CC 4x4 in February. So far I am loving the truck. Big upgrade from my 04 CC long bed hemi. As I get older, I start looking at things with more of a functionality perspective. I went ahead and got a couple quotes on truck toppers. I have 120lb American bulldog that can't take the heat or cold (he's a bit on the prissy side). We usually make the drive from NC to PA 3-4 times a year, so it'll help out a lot.
Anyways, I was quoted $1680 out the door/installed for an ARE V with the Yakima roof rack and sliding front window. I'll probably have the boot added as well, but it wasn't part of the quote. Anyone have any thoughts on that price? Thanks in advance.

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check your local Craigslist to see if you can get lucky and find a used one for sale that matches the color of your truck. New ones are damn expensive but they would be nice.

OP
OP
R

raggedolram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been looking around for a couple weeks now. Everything I find is either ford of chevy. Not a single ram.

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn!! I have a half American bulldog/half English mastiff and an olde English bulldogge. Having issues posting pics.

OP
OP
R

raggedolram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also have a german shep, but she could care less what temperature it is. I'm beginning to think she's part husky, as she would stay outside 24/7 if you let her.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If that is an installed price with clamps and mounting strips it isn't a bad price for around here.

Does it have a 3rd brake light? If so, will they wire that in?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
When I was looking at caps, Leer makes makes pet guards for the side windows on some of models so you can leave the windows open without fear of them going through the screens.
I ended up with a Leer XL100 (6'4" bed) with power lock and removable sliding front window installed and out the door for just under $1800.
I didn't like the lighting that came with the cap so I added my own.
6bba86c7bca1f990974953e77a52e121.jpg

OP
OP
R

raggedolram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If that is an installed price with clamps and mounting strips it isn't a bad price for around here.

Does it have a 3rd brake light? If so, will they wire that in?

To answer your question, yes and yes. That comes with the 3rd breaklight installed.

OP
OP
R

raggedolram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I was looking at caps, Leer makes makes pet guards for the side windows on some of models so you can leave the windows open without fear of them going through the screens.
I ended up with a Leer XL100 (6'4" bed) with power lock and removable sliding front window installed and out the door for just under $1800.
I didn't like the lighting that came with the cap so I added my own.
6bba86c7bca1f990974953e77a52e121.jpg

That's not too bad. I hadn't inquired about the XL100. The 100R with roof rack and front sliding window from a different dealer was right under 1900.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Hello all,

First off, greetings as this is my first post in the forum. I recently bought a 2016 5.7 Big Horn CC 4x4 in February. So far I am loving the truck. Big upgrade from my 04 CC long bed hemi. As I get older, I start looking at things with more of a functionality perspective. I went ahead and got a couple quotes on truck toppers. I have 120lb American bulldog that can't take the heat or cold (he's a bit on the prissy side). We usually make the drive from NC to PA 3-4 times a year, so it'll help out a lot.
Anyways, I was quoted $1680 out the door/installed for an ARE V with the Yakima roof rack and sliding front window. I'll probably have the boot added as well, but it wasn't part of the quote. Anyone have any thoughts on that price? Thanks in advance.

I've had them on all my trucks until this one. It has a hard tonneau which is perfect for me but I don't have a dog. The cover is hard to remove unless you have a way to pick it with something overhead. If you are going to leave it on, they are great.

A thought on the boot. I'm not sure what the new ones look like but the old style, foam filled donut wore the paint off my cab in under a year. My last truck with a cap, I just didn't put a boot on. The newer ones my be better but just a word of caution.

OP
OP
R

raggedolram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From the looks on the ARE site, they're a rubber seal now. It didn't look like the older donut style. Most of the aftermarket ones I found are donuts though. It looks like the factory boot closes the entire gap between the cab and the topper.

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Paid $1400 for the Ranch topper on my 1500 (6'4" bed, front and side sliders) wired and installed so I'd say $1680 with the Yak Rak is a fair deal. Never have trusted donuts. Went and got a roll of 2 1/2" window shaker insulation from the local hardware and ran it around the front slider. Works well enough until it doesn't and costs another 6 bucks to replace.

"Oh, sweet debt. Thy name is Truck."

Last edited:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I 2nd looking on Craigslist, I got lucky adn found an ARE, perfect color match, for $450.

Your price is about right for new. IF going with new, would look at Leer, I like their bigger windows, seem to match the truck better. Pets screens are very nice to have, even without pets. my screens have two small holes in them. will be adding pet screens but little late.

OP
OP
R

raggedolram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the info all. There are a couple things I am going to ask about having added like I mentioned. My dogs are pretty seasoned travelers, so I'm not sure if they'll bother the screens or not. If the price is right, I'll probably have them add them. If not, I'm sure I can DIY something up.

OP
OP
R

raggedolram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I 2nd looking on Craigslist, I got lucky adn found an ARE, perfect color match, for $450.

Your price is about right for new. IF going with new, would look at Leer, I like their bigger windows, seem to match the truck better. Pets screens are very nice to have, even without pets. my screens have two small holes in them. will be adding pet screens but little late.

Unfortunately, the LEER dealer near me quoted me 400 more for a comparable model. I can't justify the difference in price, they didn't want to budge at all.

Jackfate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got a leer xq $2063 out the door .I have a bed rug liner & XQ Has a matching lining,insulated & with the large windows. 3 things worth mentioning 1) you can't get pet screens on XQ model 2) the large windows only look large from the outside/inside is same cut out is same as other models . 3) this cap is heavy, maybe do to all the glass .
I have 2 border collies & the bed area is nice & quiet

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Unfortunately, the LEER dealer near me quoted me 400 more for a comparable model. I can't justify the difference in price, they didn't want to budge at all.

Pet Screens ain't for the pets. It was my ******** self that damaged the screens. Tossing stuff around.

Leer? $400 more?

Look at teh window difference. I didn;t think it was worth buying new Leer vs this used topper at $450 but, now, not so sure. I really like having the windows look teh same. My Topper windows are much smaller than the Trucks

2107-T.jpg

Another members truck, Leer topper, posted in a different thread

8405d1351205465-camper_shell_4th_gen-photo.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

raggedolram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not a big fan of the larger side windows honestly. I got a separate quote for the MX series with the roof rack and sliding front window. That came out to 1921 out the door. I believe I like the extra headspace.

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just wait for a used one, be patient I waited almost 4 months before I found one for my truck like I wanted. They loose so much value used, if you can wait, do it , it will worth it

I paid 900 $ for it. it's a ARE z series, it was only few months old.

IMG_20160304_171117_zpsdjxwgrwa.jpg

IMG_20160401_231954_zpsdgbsflbo.jpg

samuelscreech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
That's a fair price. I just bought the same are v series with 2 flip up side doors for 1580 out the door.
ps. I love trucks with toppers.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AKJeeper