Torque converter issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

knightlogger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9 magnum
Hey guys I have an 01 1500 4x4 with a 5.9 v8. I Recently bought it ans in the last couple weeks i noticed when my truck gets up to temp when I left off the throttle while driving or coming to a stop it trys to stall. My coe worker being a mechanic for 20 years said it sounds like my torque converter is staying locked. The truck shifts just fine through all the gears. When shifting to neutral before I stop the truck doesn't stall. Could it be that the tranny needs to be flushed or could it be the sylenoid or do I need to also look into a new torque converter as well ? The truck has 236 thousand and the fluid is dark but not burnt. It has signs someone's had tranny work done.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
The torque converts are known to go bad and have issues like this if they aren't replaced. Many times when transmissions are services the torque converter isn't, and that causes a problem. It can also cause the transmission to wear and fail prematurely as a faulty torque converter creates a lot of heat, that is the enemy of transmissions.

It does sound like the TQ is staying locked. The first thing you can try is to replace the TQ solenoid.

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would try to drain fluid and change filter and fluid first.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

knightlogger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9 magnum
Thanks guys I think i will try the sylenoid and flushing it see where that goes. That was my initial thought how ever but I wasn't sure if that would be a good place to start.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93