Torque lock up switch questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xtremist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Good evening guys. I know that this topic has been beaten to death, and ive done quite a bit of reading on this topic but theres something i need clarified. I guess first ill explain what im hoping to accomplish. Where i like to camp theres an extremely steep windy mountain road and to keep my trans temps in the green i have to shift into 4 low and turn of od to keep the converter locked and my speed slow enough to navigate this road. I am hoping that if i add this switch, instead of having to shift into 4 low, i can manually shift into 1st and lock the torque once im at 2000 ish rpm to keep the trans cool... Will this work ? Ive read in a couple places that the switch still wont lock it in first, then other guys say it will....?! Also there seems to be a variety of different ways that ppl are wiring this up - i do not want to loose the factory lock up functions, i only want to be able to control it at my discretion in certain instances.

Thank you very much for the help and insight...

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If the road is that steep, why would you not want to be in 4X4 Low? Low speed lugging isn't good for any g̶a̶s̶ engine. Also the gear reduction of the transfer case reduces the load on the transmission.

Last edited:

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
If the road is that steep, why would you not want to be in 4X4 Low? Low speed lugging isn't good for a gas engine. Also the gear reduction of the transfer case reduces the load on the transmission.
It's a Cummins

OP
OP
X

xtremist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
If the road is that steep, why would you not want to be in 4X4 Low? Low speed lugging isn't good for a gas engine. Also the gear reduction of the transfer case reduces the load on the transmission.
Its a diesel.... Its not quite steep enough to need 4x4 but its curvy as hell so cant get much speed anyway.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Its a diesel
It's not good to lug any engine.
There's a kit out available for some of these trucks that allow you to engage the transfer in low range but doesn't engage the drive to the front wheels. I'd look into that before messing with attempting to manually control the torque converter.

OP
OP
X

xtremist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
It's not good to lug any engine.
There's a kit out available for some of these trucks that allow you to engage the transfer in low range but doesn't engage the drive to the front wheels. I'd look into that before messing with attempting to manually control the torque converter.
Yeah i had heard about that kit and was really hoping that i could find one but apparently they were only for second gens...

In regards to the lugging i have no intention really of lugging it.....i want to shift manually into first and lock it at around 2000 rpm and keep it there. When i need to slow down ill unlock it. Do you foresee issues doing this ?