Touque conveter & VB install cost. Shops in Ct?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

msorbara10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 2500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well after patiently waiting 2 weeks for the converter to come in it finally arrived today. I have a sharadon stage 2 valve body as well. I got 18 quarts of Valvoline atf (3 cases of 6) and I think I am good to go.

This was my first time dealing with Moe's performance by the way and AMAZING customer service!

Anyway there was a shop in meridian CT that would let you rent out a lift and be able to use their tools but they have been out of business from what I heard and I was not aware of that. Now it looks like I have to pay someone to do it. I am getting quotes for $7.50 to 1000. I see the labor being more expensive being that its a 4x4 but I am supplying everything. I know some shops do not like that though

What scares me is that I can tell a lot of these transmission shops dont know what they are doing. One guy told me that there is no such thing as a 2500 with them hemi in it, another said they had to take the tranny apart to install the valve body, another said he didnt think my tranny would work if he were to install them, and the rest look at me like I am crazy for wanting to install these aftermarket parts. I figured if I have to explain to these guys to to do the job I really shouldnt do business with them. I am not a mechanic but I know enough to what steps have to be taken to do this type of mod. I am just very frustrated right now

Does any one know of any shops in ct who are reputable and will charge me a good price? I am willing to drive for the service to be done right. Maybe even a dealer is they dont want to charge me a ton as well. I just wish I had a lift to be able to do the job.

I know some of you were able to do it crawling under your trucks but I just dont know if I would be able to deal with cramping under it. But with the quotes and explanations I am getting from these shops I may have to

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Spend some money on jackstands if you have the time, tools and know how to do it yourself. You will save money, have pride in doing it yourself and not letting ******* touch your truck. If they really said all that i wouldnt have them change the oil on my lawnmower...

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Or find a speed shop... There's gotta b one within a reasonable distance of you.

OP
OP
M

msorbara10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 2500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Spend some money on jackstands if you have the time, tools and know how to do it yourself. You will save money, have pride in doing it yourself and not letting ******* touch your truck. If they really said all that i wouldnt have them change the oil on my lawnmower...

I definitely know how to do it myself. The lift would just allow me to do it in much less time than on the ground. I start my new job monday so after that I really wont have a whole lot of time to get it done. But I think your right ill invest in some tall sturdy stand and a good impact, compressor, and tranny jack and I should be good to go.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Also just to make sure: you did buy the two trans filters right? 1 spin on 1 flat. They should be changed when doing a job like this and you will have them in your hands.
Also a quick learn is recommended once you are finished the job. It will help the trans learn all the new clearances more quickly. But it can only be preformed with a good scan tool.

Blackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I definitely know how to do it myself. The lift would just allow me to do it in much less time than on the ground. I start my new job monday so after that I really wont have a whole lot of time to get it done. But I think your right ill invest in some tall sturdy stand and a good impact, compressor, and tranny jack and I should be good to go.

I've done the tc swap 3 times on the ground on my 4x4 and I will tell you that the most important thing you can have is a good helper. That trans and case is a bear to maneuver laying on the ground.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Well after patiently waiting 2 weeks for the converter to come in it finally arrived today. I have a sharadon stage 2 valve body as well. I got 18 quarts of Valvoline atf (3 cases of 6) and I think I am good to go.

This was my first time dealing with Moe's performance by the way and AMAZING customer service!

Anyway there was a shop in meridian CT that would let you rent out a lift and be able to use their tools but they have been out of business from what I heard and I was not aware of that. Now it looks like I have to pay someone to do it. I am getting quotes for $7.50 to 1000. I see the labor being more expensive being that its a 4x4 but I am supplying everything. I know some shops do not like that though

What scares me is that I can tell a lot of these transmission shops dont know what they are doing. One guy told me that there is no such thing as a 2500 with them hemi in it, another said they had to take the tranny apart to install the valve body, another said he didnt think my tranny would work if he were to install them, and the rest look at me like I am crazy for wanting to install these aftermarket parts. I figured if I have to explain to these guys to to do the job I really shouldnt do business with them. I am not a mechanic but I know enough to what steps have to be taken to do this type of mod. I am just very frustrated right now

Does any one know of any shops in ct who are reputable and will charge me a good price? I am willing to drive for the service to be done right. Maybe even a dealer is they dont want to charge me a ton as well. I just wish I had a lift to be able to do the job.

I know some of you were able to do it crawling under your trucks but I just dont know if I would be able to deal with cramping under it. But with the quotes and explanations I am getting from these shops I may have to

http://justin177.wix.com/morfius-performance

Call them. I've known him for years. Does good work.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

msorbara10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 2500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've done the tc swap 3 times on the ground on my 4x4 and I will tell you that the most important thing you can have is a good helper. That trans and case is a bear to maneuver laying on the ground.

I can understand that for sure. I got a couple buddies who I know will help me and I can imagine how heavy the case and the tranny is.

Did you put the truck on stands? My truck sits a little higher than a 1500 but I could imagine if I get some tall 6 ton stands that would help a lot

Also just to make sure: you did buy the two trans filters right? 1 spin on 1 flat. They should be changed when doing a job like this and you will have them in your hands.
Also a quick learn is recommended once you are finished the job. It will help the trans learn all the new clearances more quickly. But it can only be preformed with a good scan tool.

Yep I went and bought 2 mopar filter and also talked to a couple dealers to make sure they were able to preform the quick learn for me.