Tow Mirror Adjustment When Flipped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canadian Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 SLT
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Just installed tow mirrors in my 2500, got them used. Everything works as expected, puddle lights, signal lights, and heated glass on both sides, but on my drivers side mirror they do not adjust correctly when flipped up (the directional keys don't get flipped). My passenger side mirror directional keys get flipped when the mirror is flipped so I don't think I need my dealer to add the sales code to my truck. Is there a sensor or something I can check in my drivers side mirror to fix it or am I better of finding a different mirror? Thanks!
Truck is a 2011 2500 if that helps any.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You need the dealer to flash the LEG code for the tow mirrors to adjust properly in the upright position. I just reread your post and it's weird that the passenger side one works properly..... never heard if that common or not. I do know you need the code to make them work correctly.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Are they aftermarket tow mirrors or oem?

OP
OP
Canadian Mopar

Canadian Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 SLT
Engine
6.4L HEMI
As far as I know they are OEM mirrors. They both look identical.
When I first put the drivers side in I thought it just needed the sales code too, but am confused why the passenger side would work correctly.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
Most if not all aftermarket tow mirrors lack the sensor to detect when the mirror is flipped up and will have the wrong orientation on the keypad when used. You may have gotten one OEM and one aftermarket mirror.

OP
OP
Canadian Mopar

Canadian Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 SLT
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Most if not all aftermarket tow mirrors lack the sensor to detect when the mirror is flipped up and will have the wrong orientation on the keypad when used. You may have gotten one OEM and one aftermarket mirror.
Ya I'm beginning to wonder if that's what happened. Is there any way I can open up the mirror and check if that sensor is just bad? Or if it even has it?

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
Ya I'm beginning to wonder if that's what happened. Is there any way I can open up the mirror and check if that sensor is just bad? Or if it even has it?
Where the 3 bolts come off the mirror to go through the door, there should be a sticker right there with a part number. If its missing most likely not an OEM mirror.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Stimpy is right. If they are OEM mirrors they wont work properly until the sales code is added and a vehicle reconfiguration performed.

OP
OP
Canadian Mopar

Canadian Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 SLT
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Stimpy is right. If they are OEM mirrors they wont work properly until the sales code is added and a vehicle reconfiguration performed.
Even though one of them works correctly now?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Even though one of them works correctly now?

What works correctly? Do the mirrors power adjust properly with the mirror extended? If not the directions on the controls will be all wrong, and won’t adjust the proper direction with the mirror extended.

OP
OP
Canadian Mopar

Canadian Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 SLT
Engine
6.4L HEMI
What works correctly? Do the mirrors power adjust properly with the mirror extended? If not the directions on the controls will be all wrong, and won’t adjust the proper direction with the mirror extended.
So they're suppose to readjust when you flip them? Is that what your saying? If so no neither of them do that.
But the directional controls on the passenger side do flip when the mirror is flipped.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The way they’re supposed to work is that when you flip the mirror, you’re mirror adjustment controls will still work correctly. So that way when you adjust it say left, when it’s flipped, pressing left on the controls still adjusts the glass left instead of down/up.

Gordinho80

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For what it’s worth... my 2012 did not come with tow mirrors, yet, when I installed factory tow mirrors off another Ram, they adjust properly when flipped. No sales codes flashed.

OP
OP
Canadian Mopar

Canadian Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 SLT
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The way they’re supposed to work is that when you flip the mirror, you’re mirror adjustment controls will still work correctly. So that way when you adjust it say left, when it’s flipped, pressing left on the controls still adjusts the glass left instead of down/up.
Yes my passenger side mirror does this, but drivers side does not.

Gordinho80

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe whatever senses that the mirror is flipped took a hit or is malfunctioning. Not sure if it is some sort of mercury switch or something in the mirror itself.

OP
OP
Canadian Mopar

Canadian Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 SLT
Engine
6.4L HEMI
That's what I was wondering. Wasn't sure if anyone had ever opened one up and checked out what actually senses when the mirror is flipped.

OP
OP
Canadian Mopar

Canadian Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 SLT
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Just an update to this incase someone else has the same issue I ended up buying a couple scrap mirrors for cheap and took them apart to see if I could find the tilt sensor in them. There definitely is a sensor and it can be replaced.
So I opened up my original mirror as well, swapped the sensor out and it works perfect now.

HemiHavoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just an update to this incase someone else has the same issue I ended up buying a couple scrap mirrors for cheap and took them apart to see if I could find the tilt sensor in them. There definitely is a sensor and it can be replaced.
So I opened up my original mirror as well, swapped the sensor out and it works perfect now.

Any pics of the sensor and location? Thanks

Reactions: kad