Tow mirrors for 2017 ram 1500 Big Horn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
So after reading several post if I purchase the tow mirrors from A1 with the same features that my truck already has then the new mirrors will work without having to do any coding changes? I have the sport mirrors power folding, heated turn signal, puddle light. And if I had to due any coding can I do it myself and will it void warranty?

If you already have the regular mirrors with all those options, all you would need to do is add the support brackets, switch the mirrors and add the Tow Mirror Present code (this code makes the controls work correctly when the mirrors are in the "up" or towing position). I'm not a lawyer, but as with any added parts they won't warranty the parts themselves and any other issues would have to bear the burden of the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. i.e. They would have to prove that what you did caused the failure in order to deny a warranty claim. There are entire threads on the subject of mods and the warranty elsewhere on this forum though, so I'm not going to clog this thread up with one.

-K

Lowedawg20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 2500 Lonestar Edition
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have the regular sport mirrors with power fold, heat puddle and turn signals. Just want the tow mirrors with same features. I have looked at the 1a ones but just trying to get a straight answer on swapping out and coding

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have the regular sport mirrors with power fold, heat puddle and turn signals. Just want the tow mirrors with same features. I have looked at the 1a ones but just trying to get a straight answer on swapping out and coding
And you just got it, add the support bracket for the mirrors and add the tow mirror coding so that they operate correctly when in the TOW position. Either find the dealer code and pay for a dealer or go the DIY route with the AlphaOBD app and a compatible OBD reader.

Reactions: kad

Lowedawg20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 2500 Lonestar Edition
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thanks guys for the advice. I think Im gonna get the 1a mirrors. How hard is it to do the coding? Where would I get the coding info?

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
Do any of the tow mirrors have auto dim ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awpratt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For setting with Alpha it would be the following codes:

Doors Configuration:
Puddle Lamp Present: Set
Folding mirrors present: Set
Mirror turn signals present: Set
Mirror Approach Lights Present: Set
Tow Mirror Present: Set

Once upon a time I had a list of the sales codes to have a dealer do it, but I discarded it after learning that they would not do the power folding one on my truck (or on any Express). I'm sure you can find them here on the forum if you're determined to go that way, but given what most of the dealers charge to do it, going with the Alpha tool is cheaper and easier.

-K
Thanks for the Alpha configurations, I'll probably end up going that route to program them, I do have a son that is a tech a dealer and has access to their programmer to flash the BCM but it sounds as if it may be an issue to get some of the sales codes set for the express trim level. Again thanks for all the info and part numbers you listed this will definitely make the upgrade easy and correct, it is greatly appreciated.

Awpratt

Reactions: kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Do any of the tow mirrors have auto dim ?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see that option available on the aftermarket ones. I'm not sure if Mopar ever sold them that way though. My advise would be to check with Benny in the AllMoparParts.com sub-forum here, he should be able to tell you if they were ever offered and get you OEM part numbers.

-K

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks for the Alpha configurations, I'll probably end up going that route to program them, I do have a son that is a tech a dealer and has access to their programmer to flash the BCM but it sounds as if it may be an issue to get some of the sales codes set for the express trim level. Again thanks for all the info and part numbers you listed this will definitely make the upgrade easy and correct, it is greatly appreciated.

Awpratt

Glad to help. I see from your profile that you have a '17, be sure to check with Benny to to make sure you get the right switch panel, it's the one item that varies from year to year.

-K

awpratt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad to help. I see from your profile that you have a '17, be sure to check with Benny to to make sure you get the right switch panel, it's the one item that varies from year to year.

-K
will do thanks. Does anyone know if there is a difference for use on the RAM trucks between the OBDLink MX or the OBDLink LX it looks as if the MX just has the ability to use on GM single wire CAN(GMLAN) and Ford medium speed CAN(MS_CAN) if that's the case and the LX will work on the RAM trucks there is no need to pay the extra for something not needed.

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2017 window sticker:
Power folding mirrors

then options:
Towing mirrors

I have the Towing mirrors on my 2017 Ram 1500 from factory. haha
that dealership mind would be blown! :)

Sascha Calgary

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
@wvsize The side mirrors on 14-18 RAM trucks (1550, 2500 & 3500) are all the same physical and electrical fitment. No one has been able to figure out why the sales staff at A1 keeps telling people they don't fit '17-18. As @MADDOG said, the dealer is only going by options originally available for your 1500 and in that they are correct, power folding tow mirrors were not offered. But they were offered on the 2500+ and since all the mirrors fit/connect/function the same...

I have the Trail Ridge power folding, heated tow mirrors with puddle lights and led turn signals from 1AAuto on my truck. Since yours already has all the functionality but the tow mirror part you will just need to have either the one sales code for tow mirrors added by the dealer or get a copy of AlphaOBD and an MX dongle and turn it on yourself (the better option IMO).

The tow mirror option code is needed to have the mirror controls work in the correct orientation when flipped up into tow position. If you were closer (or if you happen to be traveling through NY) I'd happily take the 5 minutes to set the code for you.

Mirrors: https://www.1aauto.com/2013-16-ram-mirror-pair-trail-ridge-tr00042/i/trmrp00042

Thread on AlphaOBD with purchase links and info on how/what code to set, plus lots of other things you can do with it: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/

-K
Hi,
I have all parts for a tow mirror conversion from a 2021 2500 to mount them on my 2017 ram 1500.
The mirrors have all the good options.
Power fold, puddle light, heated, blind spot, cameras, etc.
All the plugs fit to the door modules going to the parts of the the door.
The only plug which is different is the plug coming from main harness to the module.
Anyone has a diagram how to change the pins?

Thank you

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have all parts for a tow mirror conversion from a 2021 2500 to mount them on my 2017 ram 1500.
The mirrors have all the good options.
Power fold, puddle light, heated, blind spot, cameras, etc.
You won't be able to get the blind spot monitor or cameras to work on your '17 as those were not available factory options. You might be able to get the basic mirror and lights to work but you need to look up the wiring for each and then move the wiring from the new mirrors to the old plug. You can research the plug wiring by looking up the connectors here: http://connectors.dcctools.com/home.htm
If your looking to add power fold tow mirrors to your 1500, you would be farther ahead buying a set of aftermarket mirrors. Those will be practically plug-n-play, only programming needed would be at add the tow mirror flip up provided your current mirrors are already power fold.

Sascha Calgary

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thank you this page helped me a lot

I have everything thing from a 2500 Power Wagon
The cameras I will adapt to an aftermarket system with my 12inch tesla screen

Blind spot I do not need

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The cameras I will adapt to an aftermarket system with my 12inch tesla screen
You might want to check the cameras as they might be a digital output type camera and not analog. The Gen5 trucks back up cameras are digital and I'd imagine the side cameras are the same type.