Towin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LeeR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6 Cylinder Turbo Diesel
I have a 2010 RAM diesel dually that I pull at 37 ft 5th wheel. My truck (from what I can find) can pull a little over 13,000 lbs. I am looking at a trailer that weighs 14, 000+ lbs that can go to over 16,000 lbs. My question is, what happens if you pull over the suggested weight?
My question is, will it hurt the truck/engine?

Last edited:

MasonD21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HemiWagon
My question is, what happens if you pull over the suggested weight?
The short answer: Probably nothing too exciting.

Just be educated and aware of the possible outcomes of being overloaded. One outcome could be a DOT fine. Another could be your insurance company can give you the middle finger if you're in an accident.

But if you're running a dually diesel, I would think your towing rating would be higher than 13k... a 2500 SRW diesel has more tow rating than that.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The short answer: Probably nothing too exciting.

Just be educated and aware of the possible outcomes of being overloaded. One outcome could be a DOT fine. Another could be your insurance company can give you the middle finger if you're in an accident.
The DOT will give you a fine if you pull more weight that the manufacturer thinks it can pull?
Insurance companies don’t cover accidents?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2010 RAM diesel dually that I pull at 37 ft 5th wheel. My truck (from what I can find) can pull a little over 13,000 lbs. I am looking at a trailer that weighs 14, 000+ lbs that can go to over 16,000 lbs. My question is, what happens if you pull over the suggested weight?
It’ll be able to pull the weight. The problem will be engine and transmission cooling.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Gross negligence.
...as far as DOT, of what law? Keeping in mind the OP is talking about a 5th wheel.
As far as Insurance, an accident would be covered just like a drunk driver would be covered if he got in an accident.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
But if you're running a dually diesel, I would think your towing rating would be higher than 13k... a 2500 SRW diesel has more tow rating than that.

Not in 2010. My dads 2012 is only 13k. Even though it’s identical (other than DEF) to my ‘13 that’s rated at 17k.

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
J2807 tow numbers touted by manufacturers mean nothing. What counts is your GVWR, GVCW, and Axle weight ratings. All that should be on the yellow sticker on the drivers door frame. That sticker is what will be looked at and compared to your actual weight numbers if you get checked by DOT. You’ll want to spend some time at a CAT scale getting your rig weighed on all axles, including the trailer.
Best,
DG

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Gross negligence.

LOL.... making a case for negligence is a stretch. Gross Negligence? Good luck. If people didn't do dumb things that they shouldn't, the whole concept of insurance wouldn't exist.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
If you are over weight and get in an accident and someone dies, you may find yourself going to jail. It is unlikely that would happen but personally I don't find the risk worth it.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Um, if a good lawyer convinces a jury that Mrs. Smith who was pregnant died because of your gross negligence of knowingly being 3,000 pounds over your vehicle's GCWR then yeah, you can be criminally charged. And I have read about it happening.

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Um, if a good lawyer convinces a jury that Mrs. Smith who was pregnant died because of your gross negligence of knowingly being 3,000 pounds over your vehicle's GCWR then yeah, you can be criminally charged. And I have read about it happening.

Maybe if it's a commercial operation...but your average ******** pulling his trailer, Nope.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
J2807 tow numbers touted by manufacturers mean nothing. What counts is your GVWR, GVCW, and Axle weight ratings. All that should be on the yellow sticker on the drivers door frame. That sticker is what will be looked at and compared to your actual weight numbers if you get checked by DOT. You’ll want to spend some time at a CAT scale getting your rig weighed on all axles, including the trailer.
Best,
DG
No, that isn't true. If you are stopped by DOT they will check your registered weight... not the yellow sticker. They will check your tire ratings... not the yellow sticker. If you paid for the heavier registration and have sufficient tire weight rating, they will move you right along. The yellow sticker is required for the manufacturer for the initial sale of the truck... kinda like the mattress tag that can only be removed by the consumer.

rexanald

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm just curious, what is your vehicles GVWR? Not to question your knowledge of your own truck, I think it just seems out of place that your dually is only able to pull that low of weight. Could you share the sticker info on the inside of your drivers side front door?? For instance... my 2016 2500 has a 10k GVWR and I am able to pull 17,200. I know gearing and a lot more play into these factors, I just want to help make sure you are getting correct information.

MasonD21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HemiWagon
I'm just curious, what is your vehicles GVWR? Not to question your knowledge of your own truck, I think it just seems out of place that your dually is only able to pull that low of weight. Could you share the sticker info on the inside of your drivers side front door?? For instance... my 2016 2500 has a 10k GVWR and I am able to pull 17,200. I know gearing and a lot more play into these factors, I just want to help make sure you are getting correct information.
I asked the same question before I looked up the OP's truck. They were rated terribly in towing aspect, but payloads were still over 4,000lbs. I would be willing to bet the trailer weight was limited by the truck's "at-the-time" GCWR.

Unknown, but a 2010 RAM CTD Dually crew cab only seems to have a 13,100lbs tow rating, even with a 4k+ payload. I pulled up the towing guide from Ram's website.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’m guessing he’s got 12,200 gvwr, with 3:73’s, giving him 13,200 towing capacity. You’ll notice that starting in 2013, the DRW’s with 3:73’s got bumped to 14,000 gvwr and 18,700 tow capacity. Same motor, same trans, but New frame, more HP, upgraded converter, new cooling system with dual radiators, and more trans cooling is what made the 5500 pound bump possible.