Towing help for someone brand new to trucks and towing.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Thanks for the info, it's definitely helpful
If you click on the Sticky'd thread at the top of the Tow & Hauling section, there are the answers that you can look up yourself, for your weights and the like.

As far as your water needs are concerned, if you are camping at sites with full hooks ups, (ie: water, sewer, electric) you don't have to haul any water or any sewer/black water. You just flush them and go. If you run empty that is better anyway. Carrying water is not needed unless you are boondocking/off the grid camping. The water hook up will feed to your system and not go into the tank....so it's instant water without turning on a pump.

OP
OP
ram71093

ram71093

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you click on the Sticky'd thread at the top of the Tow & Hauling section, there are the answers that you can look up yourself, for your weights and the like.

As far as your water needs are concerned, if you are camping at sites with full hooks ups, (ie: water, sewer, electric) you don't have to haul any water or any sewer/black water. You just flush them and go. If you run empty that is better anyway. Carrying water is not needed unless you are boondocking/off the grid camping. The water hook up will feed to your system and not go into the tank....so it's instant water without turning on a pump.
That's perfect because I mainly plan on camping with friends who have trailers at rv parks locally. Not having to fill tanks gives me peace of mind because it'll free up hundreds of pounds of payload. Thanks for the info!

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
That's perfect because I mainly plan on camping with friends who have trailers at rv parks locally. Not having to fill tanks gives me peace of mind because it'll free up hundreds of pounds of payload. Thanks for the info!
There should be a city water connection (regular hose) and then a water tank fill port. They'd be separate.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Wow awesome thanks
The correct way to do this is to have the tongue of trailer at the height of the ball of the hitch. For example, water in the tank could shift further forward or backward if the tongue contact on the boards occurs at a height other than the ball.

darioa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 3.0 L
Your limit will not be the towing capacity. The truck is plenty for that trailer. Your limiting factor will be your payload. If you have 300 lbs of people, 100 lbs of options that you added after factory build, and a tongue weight of 780 lbs (12% of 6500 trailer weight, fully loaded), then you just have 1423 - 300 - 100 - 780 = 243 lbs of cargo.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Traveling/towing with a full tank of fresh water....
Can actually be a very bad idea in some scenarios. Manufacturers usually don't publish where the various tanks are located wnd it does matter. In the case of my Rockwood 2608BS, the fresh water tank is behind the axles and its 54 gallons. 54 gal x 8.3 lbs/gal = 448.2 lbs in the worst possible location. Of course this depends on the particular trailer you have and how much water you put in it.

See this video on balancing a trailer:

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Can actually be a very bad idea in some scenarios. Manufacturers usually don't publish where the various tanks are located wnd it does matter. In the case of my Rockwood 2608BS, the fresh water tank is behind the axles and its 54 gallons. 54 gal x 8.3 lbs/gal = 448.2 lbs in the worst possible location. Of course this depends on the particular trailer you have and how much water you put in it.

See this video on balancing a trailer:
You are correct. That's why I said "it may actually help balance your loaded trailer". I've towed everything imaginable in my life, and you just have to be cognizant of your weigth distribution. You can't just "hook up and go".

RAM64373

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And if it sags a little, you can always have an airbag installed or diy the install. I agree ,you don't have to fill 100% the water tank if you are going to a full hookup site. I prefer 25%-50% water in the tank just in case I get stranded somewhere like a 4hr freeway closure coming back to California from Vegas.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
And if it sags a little, you can always have an airbag installed or diy the install. I agree ,you don't have to fill 100% the water tank if you are going to a full hookup site. I prefer 25%-50% water in the tank just in case I get stranded somewhere like a 4hr freeway closure coming back to California from Vegas.
Air bags only level the tow vehicle, they don't take weight off the rear axle of the truck. A good WDH does that. And air bags don't do anything for an unbalanced trailer.

OP
OP
ram71093

ram71093

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I appreciate all of the help, I definitely have a lot to learn! Just to make sure I'm understanding the water..there are 103 gallons of water tanks on the bullet 243bhs. Those full would contribute to the 6500lb max weight and theoretically if I rode empty my weight would be roughly 5600lbs? And that would reduce my hitch weight and add to my payload? I would only ever plan on camping at sites with full hooks ups and not really concerned about getting stuck somewhere and needing water, I'm in mass and there's not much barren land.

netshadoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi/no eTorque
You have pretty much the same truck as me…I have the 1500 SPORT with the 5.7HEMI and 3.21 gears with a payload of 1448lbs.

I tow an Imagine 23LDE, 28 feet over all (don’t forget about that A frame at the hitch adding to length), with a GVWR of 6995lbs.

I use a Husky CenterlineTS weight distribution hitch with the 600-800 pound bars.

Now, before I continue, I want clarify what I mean by ‘trailer ready to travel’ in what I’ll describe below: my trailer set for ‘travelling’ is fully loaded for camping (camping stuff like hoses, chairs, tools, food, etc), empty gray and black tanks, and about 10 gallons of potable water to use if we stop at rest areas, picnic areas, etc.

I dialed in my weight distribution hitch at a CAT scale with the trailer in the above mentioned travelling mode. The truck only has me, my wife, and ‘junk in the trunk’ (a GMG TREK BBQ, camping chairs, my blocks for stabilizing the trailer, wood pellets) and of course 26 gallons of fuel.

I’ll attach my CAT scale weights. The truck squats about 2 inches which is more than fine.

Just as a disclaimer, the first CAT weight is my truck completely empty except me and a full tank of fuel. Comes in at 5860lbs which is a lower payload than sticker as I have running boards and a tonneau cover that adds to the payload. The key here is my unloaded steer axle weight. I want it as close to that as possible when I dial in the hitch.

Second CAT scale image is truck/trailer loaded for travel with no weight distribution hooked up. As you can see, the trailer and junk in the trunk took 100lbs off the steer axle, and the rear axle is 3540lbs, we’ll within the 4100lbs.

Third CAT scale image is with the hitch dialed in. Steer axle is back to unloaded weight (added back that 100lbs) and the rear axle is now at 3400lbs.

Another disclaimer, I did not do the third weigh with the truck full of junk as there was two trucks waiting for weighing, so I’m not 100% sure of the trailer tongue weight, but I'm guesstimating it should be in the 800-900 pound range or so. The trailer weight, using that guesstimate, is about 6600-6700lbs at travel weight. I’ll have to take a day to get out to the scale with the truck loaded for camping to get it’s loaded weight to get a better picture of TW.

All in all, the truck tows pretty well. It’s a 1500, so you’ll feel the breeze pushing the rig around if it blows. I haven’t had to much issues with trucks passing me…the hitch is rock solid with stopping sway…very impressed with it.

A few pointers:
Fill up your rear tires - I have the 22inch rims with Michelin Defenders with the XL rating. I set mine to the max 50PSI. The truck will feel ‘squishy/wobbly’ at factory inflation. Ask me how I know! (I forgot that step once on a trip…oops). The front ones I leave at factory or add a few extra pounds for sidewall stability, but not much, since there is no extra weight added to the steer axle.

Take it slow…I do no more than 65mph. First, the rigs feels better…second, that HEMI loves to drink, so the slower the better!!

I don’t have tow mirrors, but I use K-source Snap and Zap KS80730 extensions. They fit nice and work adequately for my towing needs. Like you, my truck is my daily driver, and I don’t care for RAMs moose antler tow mirrors…they look horrible IMO. Guys around here drive with them up…they all look like a bunch of Bulwinkles (look it up if you don’t know who Bulwinkle is…I jest, but they ARE fugly). LOL!

Last, but not least, take your time. Go out and learn to drive your rig. And most of all, have fun making memories!

EDIT: sorry, forgot to mention, it tows FINE with 3.21 gears. I’m in 6th most of the time. It may not have the get up and go of the 3.92 gears, but I’m towing a 7000lbs trailer. I’m in no rush. Hills have not been an issue at all. I can keep up with my buddy who has a 7000 pound trailer and a 3.92 RAM. He can get about a half rig ahead of me from a stop…about 25 feet. Whoopty doo! Lol! Once you get into 3rd gear, the truck ratios are pretty evenly matched.

Attachments

• IMG_1266.jpeg
    IMG_1266.jpeg
    236.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0184.jpeg
    IMG_0184.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0286.jpeg
    IMG_0286.jpeg
    300.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0074.png
    IMG_0074.png
    447.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0075.png
    IMG_0075.png
    499 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0073.png
    IMG_0073.png
    443.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
OP
OP
ram71093

ram71093

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You have pretty much the same truck as me…I have the 1500 SPORT with the 5.7HEMI and 3.21 gears with a payload of 1448lbs.

I tow an Imagine 23LDE, 28 feet over all (don’t forget about that A frame at the hitch adding to length), with a GVWR of 6995lbs.

I use a Husky CenterlineTS weight distribution hitch with the 600-800 pound bars.

Now, before I continue, I want clarify what I mean by ‘trailer ready to travel’ in what I’ll describe below: my trailer set for ‘travelling’ is fully loaded for camping (camping stuff like hoses, chairs, tools, food, etc), empty gray and black tanks, and about 10 gallons of potable water to use if we stop at rest areas, picnic areas, etc.

I dialed in my weight distribution hitch at a CAT scale with the trailer in the above mentioned travelling mode. The truck only has me, my wife, and ‘junk in the trunk’ (a GMG TREK BBQ, camping chairs, my blocks for stabilizing the trailer, wood pellets) and of course 26 gallons of fuel.

I’ll attach my CAT scale weights. The truck squats about 2 inches which is more than fine.

Just as a disclaimer, the first CAT weight is my truck completely empty except me and a full tank of fuel. Comes in at 5860lbs which is a lower payload than sticker as I have running boards and a tonneau cover that adds to the payload. The key here is my unloaded steer axle weight. I want it as close to that as possible when I dial in the hitch.

Second CAT scale image is truck/trailer loaded for travel with no weight distribution hooked up. As you can see, the trailer and junk in the trunk took 100lbs off the steer axle, and the rear axle is 3540lbs, we’ll within the 4100lbs.

Third CAT scale image is with the hitch dialed in. Steer axle is back to unloaded weight (added back that 100lbs) and the rear axle is now at 3400lbs.

Another disclaimer, I did not do the third weigh with the truck full of junk as there was two trucks waiting for weighing, so I’m not 100% sure of the trailer tongue weight, but I'm guesstimating it should be in the 800-900 pound range or so. The trailer weight, using that guesstimate, is about 6600-6700lbs at travel weight. I’ll have to take a day to get out to the scale with the truck loaded for camping to get it’s loaded weight to get a better picture of TW.

All in all, the truck tows pretty well. It’s a 1500, so you’ll feel the breeze pushing the rig around if it blows. I haven’t had to much issues with trucks passing me…the hitch is rock solid with stopping sway…very impressed with it.

A few pointers:
Fill up your rear tires - I have the 22inch rims with Michelin Defenders with the XL rating. I set mine to the max 50PSI. The truck will feel ‘squishy/wobbly’ at factory inflation. Ask me how I know! (I forgot that step once on a trip…oops). The front ones I leave at factory or add a few extra pounds for sidewall stability, but not much, since there is no extra weight added to the steer axle.

Take it slow…I do no more than 65mph. First, the rigs feels better…second, that HEMI loves to drink, so the slower the better!!

I don’t have tow mirrors, but I use K-source Snap and Zap KS80730 extensions. They fit nice and work adequately for my towing needs. Like you, my truck is my daily driver, and I don’t care for RAMs moose antler tow mirrors…they look horrible IMO. Guys around here drive with them up…they all look like a bunch of Bulwinkles (look it up if you don’t know who Bulwinkle is…I jest, but they ARE fugly). LOL!

Last, but not least, take your time. Go out and learn to drive your rig. And most of all, have fun making memories!

EDIT: sorry, forgot to mention, it tows FINE with 3.21 gears. I’m in 6th most of the time. It may not have the get up and go of the 3.92 gears, but I’m towing a 7000lbs trailer. I’m in no rush. Hills have not been an issue at all. I can keep up with my buddy who has a 7000 pound trailer and a 3.92 RAM. He can get about a half rig ahead of me from a stop…about 25 feet. Whoopty doo! Lol! Once you get into 3rd gear, the truck ratios are pretty evenly matched.
Thank you! This is what I've been looking for, the exact same truck pulling a slightly bigger trailer than the one I want. Great info and now I'm 100% positive I can make it work. Now I need to learn how to tow!

netshadoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi/no eTorque
Now I need to learn how to tow!
Lol! For what it’s worth, just remember you have 20 whatever feet following you….wider turns, and the trailer is slightly wider than the truck, so a little more space when going by parked cars, etc.

As for backing up, I find backing up larger trailers easier than backing up smaller trailers. Little one sare succeptable to over correction. Bigger ones, if you take your time, are a little more forgiving. But, that’s just my experience.

Good luck and glad I could help!

Panduh

Reaction score
Engine
5.7 hemi
There are a **** ton of accessories that can make towing easier and safer. I highly recommend a rear camera on the trailer. Even the best towing mirrors won't let you see what's right behind you, which makes lane changing very scary. The rear camera takes care of that. Good for backing it up too.

netshadoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi/no eTorque
There are a **** ton of accessories that can make towing easier and safer. I highly recommend a rear camera on the trailer. Even the best towing mirrors won't let you see what's right behind you, which makes lane changing very scary. The rear camera takes care of that. Good for backing it up too.
Agreed on both the mirror part and the camera.

I have the Haloview RD10. The monitor straps to your rear view mirror making it a natural eye movement to see what is behind you. I don’t really use it for backing up though…I’m old school and use my mirrors and lean out my drivers side window to do most of my backing up. Though, I do use the camera to see and hear my wife behind the trailer (it has and outdoor microphone that you can enable on the monitor) directing me to how far back to move the trailer.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Excellent thank you
I have a 2019 1500 with a 5.7 in a Quad cab, two wheel drive and 3.21 axle and the placard on the door jamb says max tow in 6900 pounds.

How does he his vehicle get to 8000?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 96278 miles.

1STRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I agree that using the CAT scales are important in knowing where you are with your truck, TT, and hitch set up. The scales can be intimidating, but the process is very easy. Download the phone ap from the CAT website, follow directions, make sure your internet connection is active BEFORE you pull onto scales. You can pull forward until both front and rear wheels of your truck are on separate scales, the TT is on the 3rd scale. Very quick. For multiple weighs the ap asks if this is the first or second weigh. Only intimidating thing for me is holding up truckers who are in a hurry. Great peace of mind.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
You guys have dot weigh scales along your highways that are similar to the weigh scales in Canada. Why are you not using them to get your weights rather than paying out of pocket to use CAT scales?

OP
OP
ram71093

ram71093

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

A few pointers:

Do you have a sunroof on your truck? Just curious, I haven't weighed my truck yet but if you do we should be roughly the same weight.

OP
OP
ram71093

ram71093

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This is seriously the best towing forum of all time lol. So much great info and I appreciate it all!