Towing on sand

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MAG727

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys I’m new here so take it easy on me. ‍♂️ Jk fire away. Every year my family and I go to OBX and rent a house on the beach which requires us to drive 7 miles on the sand. No issues ever with any suv or truck we have had anyway.....first time going down this year with the new Ram and I’m curious on which 4wd to use. Auto? Low? Lock? I’ve read various responses on this but never about sand driving. If I had to guess just throw it in lock and be done with it, but maybe someone can drop some knowledge on me if they have experience. Fire away please.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What will you be towing ? the title mentions it, but your post doesn't.

If towing, air down, put it in lock, and go slow and smooth & avoid sudden starts & stops.

The delay in the auto feature may get you stuck, and you shouldn't need low, but you could use it if you want, depending on how heavy the trailer is.

If it's just your truck, not towing, you should be able to use auto or lock, air down if you want, and just go slowly and smooth, avoiding sudden starts & stops

Last edited:

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What are you towing on the sand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I drive on sand all the time, never towing, but I lock it up and most the time I probably don't need to. I've pulled a few 4x4's out of the sand before. The sand is constantly shifting, so I play it as safe and keep my eyes open and feelers on!

OP
OP
MAG727

MAG727

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the responses. It’s a 6x12 enclosed trailer. We load it up with all the coolers and luggage for everyone. Last year I towed it with my Chevy Colorado no issues at all. Aired down both the trailer and truck and I was good to go. Just wasn’t sure about the auto/lock feature with this truck. Seems like I’ll just make sure I air down both again and just keep it in lock and be good to go. TRCM good point the auto probably has a hesitation so lock is the way to go.

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If your truck has a Borg Warner 44-5 transfer box then read this tread:
http://www.ramforum.com/threads/anyone-happy-with-borg-warner-44-44-auto-4wd.94636/
http://www.ramforum.com/threads/anyone-happy-with-borg-warner-44-44-auto-4wd.94636/
This transfer is a arguably solution on dificult surfaces like soft sand.
In any case put your truck in 4wd low and be careful the first tries on soft, deeps sand.
if the sand you are talking about id fine grain hard sand then driving on it won't be a problem,
towing a heavy trailer is probably a different thing.

Chris