Towing up steep hill. What gear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrTunaCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I have a 5.9 cummins. I tow an 4 ton chipper up a fairly steep hill and also sometimes have a load of wood chips in my bed.

I have an automatic which I heard is weak and only has 4 gears.

In the past I always try to go up in 4th gear but when it gets too steep i drop into 3rd. Is 3rd gear an acceptable gear to be towing uphill? I don’t want to be damaging my transmission. Is there an rpm I should stay in? I usually try to keep it in the 2-2.5k rpm. Sometimes 3k.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Dropping to 3rd to keep the rpms up a little on a steep grade is fine. It keeps it from lugging the engine and the higher rpms keep the line pressures higher so it can keep a firm grip on the clutches.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
That engine has a pretty flat torque curve from about 1000 - 3000 rpms. Somewhere around 2500 rpms should be good.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Sounds like you're doing it the same way I do with my fiver. Keep up the RPMs and use a lower gear, It's not a race to the top.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have a 5.9 cummins. I tow an 4 ton chipper up a fairly steep hill and also sometimes have a load of wood chips in my bed.

I have an automatic which I heard is weak and only has 4 gears.

In the past I always try to go up in 4th gear but when it gets too steep i drop into 3rd. Is 3rd gear an acceptable gear to be towing uphill? I don’t want to be damaging my transmission. Is there an rpm I should stay in? I usually try to keep it in the 2-2.5k rpm. Sometimes 3k.
I had a 06 5.9 CTD. I would run it between 2100 and 2600 RPM's, yes it can take 3K and then a bit more but IMO its best to not push, why push it if its not necessary too do so...

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Just remember, you can always use an Automatic transmission as a Manual Gear Box.
Say your about to climb a grade & your truck & trailer are full.
You can always start out in First or Second gear, if it pulls the load easily, shift to the next higher gear.