tpms service comes on only at toll booth?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
About 2 weeks ago I found a set of 4 raceline raptor wheels on CL with new tpms and new tires. Soon as installed on truck on second start the tpms was reading and zero issues. Came off a 2011 truck(my truck is a 2013), dealer put new sensors and tires and guy I bought them from had old 20s in chrome he wanted on truck instead. So tires had never been used and tpms new. I put about 600 miles on truck past 2 weeks, no issues. Yesterday driving home from work, tpms light came on evic, showed drivers front Red with service tpms code. All the other tires read correctly. Within 5 minutes the front right tpms showed correct tire pressure and light went off. Did not return. The previous wheels/tires I had never had a single tpms service light come up in the 35k miles I had truck. So wondering if will become a issue down the road, maybe bad tpms or battery?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All tpms systems SUCK in general my truck has had the light on for 4 years aswell as every vehicle we own its on lol. Just ignore it its a useless system if you cant tell that your tire is low or flat then you got bigger issues ahahah.

OP
OP
rotwiler

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
So last Thursday that tpms service came on as I was going through toll booth, drove less than 2 miles and went off. Worked perfect Fri and Sat. Tonight going to work, where the tpms reset last Thur, the tpms light on drivers front went off again, then was fine when I went under the toll cameras. Very odd that the 2 times it went off was in the same exact place on the freeway, just different directions. Now wondering if maybe a signal is interfering with the tpms. Never did it when old sensors were on. Just seems kind of odd it did it in same place on freeway and is only on for a minute or two.

OP
OP
rotwiler

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
So I now have had the tpms service light come on 6 times in exact same location. When coming to work and close to toll both, tpms shows bad left drivers sensor, once I pass toll both, tpms light goes solid and resets a couple minutes after. Going home, just as I go under the toll booth cameras, tpms light goes off and resets about 2 mins later, this is odd. I did take video tonight if anyone wants to see it.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is some electronic interference at the toll both. My jeep owners manual said building alarm systems etc could cause interference and toll booths have electronic card readers etc so seems reasonable.

OP
OP
rotwiler

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Is crazy, here is the video, never set it off with old wheels/ tires.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I had the same issue on my 11 going across railroad tracks.

It's radio frequency interference.

Some aftermarket sensors especially on mid year 13 and down sensors are suspectable. I ended up replacing my sensors with OEM and the problem went away. In mid-13 Mopar made a change in the radio frequency because of this issue they went from I believe 477 to 315 megahertz.

My truck is an 11 and had the old sensors and when I replaced the wheels with aftermarket wheels and aftermarket sensors is when I began experiencing the problem. Replacement with OEM sensors solved the problem. Ram has a relearn procedure that takes about 2 minutes after you've been driving over I believe 20 mph.

Your options are live with it or replace with OEM sensors.
PS. OEM sensors were approximately $62.50 a piece, around a year ago when I had my issue