TPMS woes...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schlitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2010 Ram Sport...been dealing with TPMS issues for some time now. Here's the basic run-down:

Summer 2021: left rear sensor starts to read intermittently, alternating between actual pressure and zero. A few months later another sensor starts to show dashes all the time. Two sensors still functioning fine.

September 2022: Had new tires installed by my mechanic buddy and four brand new OEM sensors installed. One of the problematic wheels started to read again on the 15 minute drive home, but shortly after ALL sensors went to dashes. Mechanic friend tried to force initialize the new sensors, but said ECU wasn't even seeing them.

February 2023: Replaced TPMS module with brand new, OEM module. Went to dealer to have it coded to vehicle. Two sensors came back later that day for a few minutes, then all went back to dashes.

October 2023: After noticing my keyless entry acting up (had to be within a few feet of truck, sometimes had to push button multiple times) and doing a little research to find out my 2010 does NOT have the RF hub on the back wall, but uses the WIN module to control all wireless communication (start security, keyless entry, TPMS), I replaced the WIN module with a brand new, OEM module, pre-coded to my vehicle and got two brand new key fobs. Easy swap, keyless entry now works great, but TPMS still reading all dashes.

November 2023: Mechanic buddy checks again and says ECU is now seeing all four sensors, but still no reading from any of them, display still says to Service TPMS and shows all dashes. Tried airing up to 40psi, clearing all TPMS fault codes, driving plenty of miles at all different speeds...no dice. No other fault codes are showing for vehicle.

We're at a loss here as we've tried just about everything we can think of. Last resort is to go back to the dealer again and have them run some diagnostics, unless anyone here has some ideas for anything else I can check or try. I realize it's nothing more than an annoyance as I'm fully capable of monitoring my tire pressure myself, but man, it's really getting old having to hit that back button every single time I start my truck.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have black tape on mine for a couple years now, you can turn it off? need alpha to do this?

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
That is strange !
I just had all 4 changed yesterday !
1 was bad but all 4 are OEM on my 2015 RAM
So all 8 y/o and figured if 1 bad the rest to follow !

Did you try adding 5psi or so over the rated psi let sit a few minutes then drop to spec setting ?
As mentioned above what MHZ are they ? 315 or 434 ?

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
The 1 bad sensor was reading -------
It acted up a month ago went to ----- then back to proper reading..
They were all 8 years old at near end of life cycle so off to the bone yard lol

mine were 434 and the tech who changed mine was the first tire guy to set my final PSI to specs !
Other shops would adjust by eye IMO after they set the bead and never check PSI with a gauge !

And yes I have went the 5 PSI over rated after refilling a low tire if needed !

OP
OP
S

schlitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, the sensors are the correct frequency. My understanding is that they changed to 434mhz during the 2009 model year, I think. ECU sees the sensors because my buddy can see them when he scans the truck, they're just not displaying on the dash and it still says to Service TPMS. Before replacing the TPMS and WIN modules, he wasn't seeing them at all when he scanned. Something just isn't communicating like it should. As mentioned, I did also try airing the tires up to 40psi but that didn't do anything.

So it sounds like I can disable the entire TPMS system with Alpha OBD, is that correct? I guess that's always an option. But with the amount of money I've already thrown at this, I'm not ready to give up just yet. I feel like I'm so close...I've not used Aplha yet, but might give it a go just to see if there's anything obvious in there that could potentially fix my problem.

XCELLR8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is on a 2013, but he talks about his not working until he cleaned it.

OP
OP
S

schlitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is on a 2013, but he talks about his not working until he cleaned it.

I guess you didn't read my entire post...I know it's a little long. haha. Yes, I tried cleaning the connectors on the TPMS module first, then replaced the module with a brand new OEM module. Replaced the WIN module with a brand new OEM module. So as far as I can tell, I've replaced al the components of the TPMS system (sensors, TPMS module, WIN module) with brand new OEM parts. It has to be a communication issue...

XCELLR8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I guess you didn't read my entire post...I know it's a little long. haha. Yes, I tried cleaning the connectors on the TPMS module first, then replaced the module with a brand new OEM module. Replaced the WIN module with a brand new OEM module. So as far as I can tell, I've replaced al the components of the TPMS system (sensors, TPMS module, WIN module) with brand new OEM parts. It has to be a communication issue...
Sorry my bad. I overlooked it when reading.

MSandRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You trucks issue seems like it needs some hands on in person diagnosis so i’m hesitant to give any advice. But i have seen some odd tpms issues being caused by frequency interference. Removing any electronic devices - dash cams, usb charges, power inverters is a good test step. Best of luck.

olscout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Shot in the dark here, but something we had to do recently to get a sensor recognized. We had to deflate the tire to under 10psi, then reinflate. And under 10 meant under 10, 11 was a fail.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Shot in the dark here, but something we had to do recently to get a sensor recognized. We had to deflate the tire to under 10psi, then reinflate. And under 10 meant under 10, 11 was a fail.
Funny I had the flashing TPMS light before and had to fill my tire 5 PSI + or so over rated ,let site a minute or 2 then lower to specs !

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Just pulled my TIPM to check it, Tested WIN and TPMS sensor in a different truck. Turned off TPMS in Alfa ODB and set the PSI to 0

Still have the service TPMS light. Next is HP tuners to see if I cant hard delete that code.

What a bunch of useless garbage the RF hubs and WIN module that do nothing to stop thieves are. And what's even more aggravating is MOPAR making it hard to delete all this useless crap. Im some glad I dont have a 2013+ its even more useless

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Just pulled my TIPM to check it, Tested WIN and TPMS sensor in a different truck. Turned off TPMS in Alfa ODB and set the PSI to 0

Still have the service TPMS light. Next is HP tuners to see if I cant hard delete that code.

What a bunch of useless garbage the RF hubs and WIN module that do nothing to stop thieves are. And what's even more aggravating is MOPAR making it hard to delete all this useless crap. Im some glad I dont have a 2013+ its even more useless
We deleted the tire monitors on my 14 and the wifes 19 Challenger with HP

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We deleted the tire monitors on my 14 and the wifes 19 Challenger with HP

Thanks ******* GOD, thanks dude. Nothing drives me up the wall more than a light or Error message on a dash.

I forgot to delete the codes you get from the 8 speed swap anyways. So Will do that at the same time.

Now only if I could delete the WIN module and put in a KEY. There must be a way... lol...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks ******* GOD, thanks dude. Nothing drives me up the wall more than a light or Error message on a dash.

I forgot to delete the codes you get from the 8 speed swap anyways. So Will do that at the same time.

Now only if I could delete the WIN module and put in a KEY. There must be a way... lol...
Remote starter switch off the starter relay. Key only needs to be in the run position if you jump the relay with a remote starter switch/button