Traded in my Ram 1500 in January

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marlo Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And for what it's worth, i miss my Ramily, lol. I traded it in for a 2016 Silverado 1500 All-Star Edition in Autumn Bronze Metallic; I had been looking for a few months and was completely unimpressed with the F-150's. My main reasoning's for trading my Ram in were: the appearance of the interior, the 4 inch screen, and a turn single bulb on my tow mirror that wet out(which, as petty as it sounds, pissed me off to no end lol).

Took my Ram to get it serviced and inquired about having a bulb replaced on my passenger-side tow mirror. I was thinking it was one of those things where I go to an auto parts store and pick it up and replace it. Wrong, i believe I was quoted every bit of 1200 dollars and I thought they would have to call 911 because I thought I was going to have a stroke, haha. But all kidding aside, i even told the GM salesman that I love the Ram and have no problems at all with it's performance. But in a little under 2 years i racked up 42,00 miles. Mainly due to traveling close to 150 miles a day for about 3 months after i first got my Ram.

I guess another issue i had with it is i thought the chrome just seemed "heavy" and I didnt like how the dash was pieced together. It was beginning to rattle inside the cab. So I was kind of accepting the possibility of running into mechanical problems sooner than I would like.

I narrower my choices down to a 2016 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman in Dark green(can't remember the actual name), quad cab, 4x4 with 18 inch tires; and a 2016 Silverado 1500 quad cab, 18 inch tires, 4x4, 5.3 v8, 3.42 gear ratio(same as my Ram), in either Autumn Bronze or Deep Ocean Blue. I will give everybody honest opinions about the Silverado. I miss the 8-speed. I know a lot of sierra/silverado owners have had issues with it. So I'm glad I stuck with the 6 speed. For a while I noticed a few RPM "Dead spots" where i would normally associate a gear change. But surprisingly, and oddly enough, my gas mileage with the Silverado is averaging 1.5-2.0 MPG more than my Ram, idk why that is? But the Ram is a be good truck, and it seems that a lot of Silverado/Sierra owners have a lot of respect for Rams.

Any questions about comparisons between the trucks or anything else? I'll be more than happy to answer :)

OP
OP
M

Marlo Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stock for stock, the Silverado/Sierra does sit lower than the Ram. The salesman said that its because the Silverado/Sierra body is built into the frame, whereas the Ram is built on top of the frame. Idk if that is true or not

OP
OP
M

Marlo Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A picture of my truck

Attachments

• wp_ss_20160619_0005.jpg
    wp_ss_20160619_0005.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 155

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe you should be posting on the chevy forum instead of here. You seem to be a bit fickle in your reasons to trade brands for a truck you say you otherwise liked and now are looking for us to soften your remorse. :baby:

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I liked the Chevy and gmc trucks until this last update. A friend of mine has a year or two old gmc that's really nice.

BlueRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a kit to replace the mirror puddle lamps/turn signals. You do not replace the whole mirror assembly. See you in another Ram sooner than you think!!!

OP
OP
M

Marlo Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe you should be posting on the chevy forum instead of here. You seem to be a bit fickle in your reasons to trade brands for a truck you say you otherwise liked and now are looking for us to soften your remorse. :baby:

No, not at all, man. I love trucks in general. Everything about ANY of them. Which was why I said i was happy to answer any questions. I had a lot of miles on my truck, wasn't big on the interior and chrome. And I felt that i was thinking long term(in reference to my mileage.) when I got my ram, a Silverado was option 2. I love both brands, genuinely.

OP
OP
M

Marlo Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a kit to replace the mirror puddle lamps/turn signals. You do not replace the whole mirror assembly. See you in another Ram sooner than you think!!!

I know, man. But I'm a stickler for warranties. I considered it. It just blew my mind that you just couldn't replace a bulb

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, not at all, man. I love trucks in general. Everything about ANY of them. Which was why I said i was happy to answer any questions. I had a lot of miles on my truck, wasn't big on the interior and chrome. And I felt that i was thinking long term(in reference to my mileage.) when I got my ram, a Silverado was option 2. I love both brands, genuinely.

I still stand by my post. It still seems like you are confused on the reason for your post. Your personal preferences between brands are your own and putting yourself out as the go to person to answer questions seems out of place.

Seems like you really don't know what you want in a truck and willing to jump back and forth without fully thinking it through. I predict you will be jumping to another brand very soon because you just like the thought of it.

Not trying to sound harsh, just how it strikes me.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was a GM fan growing up. Never thought I'd drive a truck that wasn't Chevy/GMC. But when this last few updates took place, and they designed the square wheel wells, that just really turned me off. I don't know why, but to me, they really screwed the pooch on that part of the truck. I like the front end, and most of everything else, but those wheel wells just ruin it for me.

To me, RAM has the best exterior design out of all the trucks. That was the main reason I started looking at them. Then, once I drove one, I was hooked.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Enjoy the car... er truck. My brother has been buying these for a few years because he wants a car more than a truck, but can't give up on the bed, likes the styling, and knows a couple folks working at the Cheby dealer. He trades every two or three years so he doesn't run into the long term rattles and fall apart issues others have had with GM products. The only real issue he's had with the current 4 month old model is ground clearance, as he scrapes getting in and out of his driveway and tires (seems like tires are an issue with all the brands). He took my 1500 for a ride and likes the ride, handling, power, transmission, build quality better. In two years he is probably out of GM, but thats just him. I hate those Cheby squared off wheel wells, but thats just me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We'll see you in a few months when it's time for an oil change and you trade it in.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Congrats to the OP on the new truck. Hopefully you get miles of smiles from it. I think all of the Big 3 make a good product these days.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
My only thing with Chevy is the truck hadn't changed much since the "bail out." Sure they dropped the vortec line for their "ecotec." That's it! But ford and ram have been extremely innovative. They essentially designed an entirely new truck post bail out. I am waiting for Chevy to debut something that will just wow me. Their 6.2l with 4.10 would have been a small start. But lol, they done some cheesey ratio on that engine.

Oh god, there I go again..... I am rambling. My wife told me about this. Enjoy your truck brother! :)
I owned an 03 Silverado back in the day.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My only thing with Chevy is the truck hadn't changed much since the "bail out." Sure they dropped the vortec line for their "ecotec." That's it! But ford and ram have been extremely innovative. They essentially designed an entirely new truck post bail out. I am waiting for Chevy to debut something that will just wow me. Their 6.2l with 4.10 would have been a small start. But lol, they done some cheesey ratio on that engine.

Oh god, there I go again..... I am rambling. My wife told me about this. Enjoy your truck brother! :)
I owned an 03 Silverado back in the day.
I think where GM has really improved the last few year is interior refinement. The 6.2 8sp with tall gears really gets surprising fuel mileage. My dad's boss and coworker both have one and they are really happy with them.

Greeco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think where GM has really improved the last few year is interior refinement. The 6.2 8sp with tall gears really gets surprising fuel mileage. My dad's boss and coworker both have one and they are really happy with them.

I've been driving a 2013 Tahoe LTZ since new and my two main issues are that the 5.3 engine is rediculously under powered and the engine vibrates at idle like crazy. I'd buy another GM product but would stay away from the 5.3L and go with the 6.2.

Hemipower95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I see that's a double cab, how does it compare to a quad cab, I visited a chevy dealer last week, the double cabs look like they have less interior room than the Ram qc.

Last edited:

soSincerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
'16 1500 QC express
Engine
5.7 4x4 3.92 LSD
the MPG is because of the lower displacement, the lower stance and very low front air dam, with the biggest gain more than likely coming from direct injection, which gives the ability to light off extremely lean mixtures that aren't remotely possible with port injection.

I too was shopping around for months before I purchased my truck, and considered all of the big 3. the ecoboost was very tempting, especially when toying with the idea of power mods, but the price was too high for me to justify the (in my opinion) awkward body styling. the silverado / sierra was my main choice, but honestly I let something simple like direct injection turn me off. crazy, I know. the thought of the back of my intake valves coked up with carbon and soot just drove me insane. how would I sleep at night???

ended up with the Ram. best bang for the buck in my opinion. for the price that I got in my area, ford and chevy cant even come close. the express package is a great value, and looks really damn good too. 8 speed V8 with 3.92's?? giddy up!

spiG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I've had a 14 Silverado and now my 15 Ram. Each one has its plus and minuses. And I'd own both again. REALLY would like a GMC Denali Duramax. My current truck is paid off but no way am I looking to spend that much on a veh!