tranny down ****f at a stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jescal76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
New here. Has anybody noticed your trucks down shifing back to first gear once you have come to a complete stop? Also, when i step on it hard after getting on the freeway to merge over to the car pool lane it feels like the truck is either missing or cutting out.
Thanks. Can anybody help. This is my first ram truck.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
New here. Has anybody noticed your trucks down shifing back to first gear once you have come to a complete stop? Also, when i step on it hard after getting on the freeway to merge over to the car pool lane it feels like the truck is either missing or cutting out.

Do you have the bigger fuel tank? If so what you're feeling after you've already stopped is fuel slosh. Next time you have a full tank notice if it does it or not. If it doesn't do it then that's what it is.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mine downshifts into first right as I stop. I doubt it's gas in the tank feeling like that.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Mine downshifts into first right as I stop. I doubt it's gas in the tank feeling like that.

That's two different things. If you're feeling a slight clunk when you're coming up to a stop, and you have an 8 speed then yes that's the 2 to 1 downshift.

If you're feelink a clunk sensation or it feels like a bump from behind after you have already stopped then it's usually due to fuel slosh which is a lot more common on trucks with the larger fuel tank. This usually happens maybe a second after or two after you've come to a complete stop. It's more prevelant during a hard stop and around 1/2 tank or less.

Last edited:

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What year truck and what transmission do you have? The 8 speed has a known issue downshifting during the first few thousand miles while it is supposedly learning.

OP
OP
J

jescal76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for the info. The truck is a 2013 express. With a bigger tank. Its the six speed tranny. It mostly does this right after i fill up but it has done it at 1/4 tank too. so has anybody ever felt the missing or whatever it is when step on it hard?

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Mine does the same thing. Come to a complete stop, second or so later feel a little bump. No idea what it is. Doesn't matter if the tank is full or what.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for the info. The truck is a 2013 express. With a bigger tank. Its the six speed tranny. It mostly does this right after i fill up but it has done it at 1/4 tank too. so has anybody ever felt the missing or whatever it is when step on it hard?
Have you tried taking it out of auto and shifting down manually?
Since 5 and 6 are overdrive ratios, merge in 4th gear and see if you don't find all the
gitty-up you need to cross over to the HOV lanes. If you don't feel a miss in 4th then you can probably attribute it to overdrive lag (rpms lagging and ratio not helping)

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Sometimes it also takes a second for the truck to decide that ECO mode isn't gonna cut it, and kick back to 8 cylinder mode.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Does it happen with Tow Haul button engages as well? I drive with TH all the time till I get my trans programmed the way i want it. Tow haul changes your shift points to make it shift better IMO.

BaghRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

The hesitation you feel when you downshift at WOT is probably the Torque Management. Perfectly normal, just doesn't feel right and can be programmed out with some tuners.

twooldfarmers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
try running in Tow/Haul for a few days and monitor the feel of the truck in that mode

t/h ups and holds the shift points some and should take the lag away

with the 2014 model it will still activate into ECO Mode even though some have suggested it won't

also if you tap it back with your steering wheel controls to keep it out of 8th around the city or at lower highway speeds (say under 60) it will take away the slight drone that 3.21's deliver @ rpms's under 1900 or so

try that and report back

mikegmi2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have this same issue...when I am coming to a complete stop, JUST as the vehicle is about to hit 0mph you feel a little bump that pushes the truck forward a couple inches. Minor annoyance and if it will go away with time no reason to bring it into the dealership so they can potentially mess things up further.

It is mostly noticeable when you are stuck in stop and go traffic. Hopefully it will just go away? I have 800 miles on my new 1500 4x4 V8 (8 speed tranny).

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have this same issue...when I am coming to a complete stop, JUST as the vehicle is about to hit 0mph you feel a little bump that pushes the truck forward a couple inches. Minor annoyance and if it will go away with time no reason to bring it into the dealership so they can potentially mess things up further.

It is mostly noticeable when you are stuck in stop and go traffic. Hopefully it will just go away? I have 800 miles on my new 1500 4x4 V8 (8 speed tranny).

very common with the 8 speed. sometimes it goes away sometimes it doesn't and sometimes it comes back. a lot of talk about it before and a lot of different ideas on what may be causing it but the most likely is that it's a software issue. unless it gets really bad it's not worth bringing it up to the dealer since they now just call it normal

mine did it every 3 or so of 10 stops then went away around 8000km. every so often it pops back up but it's more like one stop a month now

Last edited: