Tranny Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sfhdb4x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm having a 2003 Ram 2500 (5.7 Hemi with 5-speed automatic transmission) not shifting correctly. Whenever it's in drive I'll be in first then it'll shift to second and stay there as long as I keep the rpm low or the same. If I push the gas even a little bit while in second it'll immediately shift back down to first and stay there no matter how far I push the gas until I turn the truck off and on again. When I put it in second manually it'll have no problems shifting to and from second but then I'm capped at 35 mph. Has anyone reading this had this problem and if so how have you solved it? Any and all comments/questions/ideas are welcome.

Last edited:

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you check your fluid level? Does it smell burnt or anything? Have you had anyone scan it not with a cheap autozone scanner one that reads trans codes sounds like a possible valve body issue tuck have high miles?.

OP
OP
S

sfhdb4x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you check your fluid level? Does it smell burnt or anything? Have you had anyone scan it not with a cheap autozone scanner one that reads trans codes sounds like a possible valve body issue tuck have high miles?.
Sorry for the very delayed response, the truck has 160,000 miles on it. The fluid is a little burnt but at normal level, I checked and it gave me a p0700 code back. At the moment am looking at replacing the TCM, obviously gonna change the fluid and potentially changing the governor pressure solenoid and transducer. A transmission rebuild has been on my mind but would probably be one of the last things I'd do, and only if the problem persists.