Tranny shudder, then locked in 4th. No CEL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Soldier of The Law

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Driving into work this AM the tranny shuddered as I went around a right 90*turn rolling on the gas. It’s done this every now and then since new (49,700 miles). Except this time it then downshifted to 1st gear. I immediately lifted for it to upshift. Shortly after I stopped for a red light. When it turned green the truck was bogged down .... I looked at the display and it was locked in 4th gear and NO CEL. At this point I was 1/4 mile from work and just continued there and parked it.

Any ideas? I haven’t tried starting it back up yet.

My commute is 20 miles of backroads. I don’t beat on it and the tranny temp was 203* when this occurred.

OP
OP
S

Soldier of The Law

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had a chance to start the truck back up and take for a short ride. As of now its not having the issue.

I’ll update after the commute home.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Had a chance to start the truck back up and take for a short ride. As of now its not having the issue.

I’ll update after the commute home.
Look for it to do it again soon, and be stuck in Limp mode. Mine did it recently. I needed a new shift solenoid. They’re on a campaign for them right now, so it should be easy to get replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Soldier of The Law

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look for it to do it again soon, and be stuck in Limp mode. Mine did it recently. I needed a new shift solenoid. They’re on a campaign for them right now, so it should be easy to get replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I was thinking that.

Made it home without issue. Going to swing by a dealer tomorrow and see if they will order the part before it happens again. I have 3 dealers within 30 mins of my house.

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sounds like a computer issue... that said have you checked your tranny fluid levels?

When i did my tranny flush and fill i had some weird issues until i got the fluid level right...

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 66rfe shudders constantly under the same conditions as OP describes. Basically, rolling on the throttle after a turn, usually around 20mph. My entire tranny blew and was rebuilt @ 38K and I'm now at 65K. I never noticed it shuddering before it blew but after the rebuild I'm super critical of the tranny so who knows.

I've tried to get my dealer to address it but they can't replicate it (big surprise) so I just drive it for now. I have a lifetime Maxcare warranty so I really don't care what happens as long as I don't get stranded somewhere. I honestly just wish the tranny would explode and/or fall off the truck so I could get a new one. It also has an annoying harsh downshift from 3-1 when using the engine brake feature. Dealer can't replicate this one either (even though I drove them in the truck and clearly demonstrated it).

I generally like this truck but if not for the lifetime warranty would be selling quickly. Ram dealers seem to take great pride in not being able to find (or "replicate") problems. Even if you clearly demonstrate something they just say, "Oh, that's normal. They all do that."

OP, consider yourself lucky that you got a CEL and will get something done. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
S

Soldier of The Law

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update

I decided since it did not throw a CEL and wasn’t locked in 4th gear I would be wasting my time going to the dealer.

Since 12/13 it has shuddered 6 times, 3 in the past 3 days. Each time I immediately laid off the gas and rolled back on the throttle.

I have a hunting road trip from PA to TX in March and don’t need to be wondering if it will leave us stranded.

Does anyone know if a transmission tune would solve this problem? I read about the “campaign” but wasn’t sure it applied to my 2014 ...and even so, it hasn’t thrown a CEL.

I’m open to suggestions.

Thanks

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
CEL or not, you have a problem... have it looked at...

Did you check your fluid levels? Still nice and red? If its brown you may need a flush

Megazor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Ram had what sounds like an identical issue as yours. It started the same and then progressed to having issues shifting from park to drive as well. It would only go into reverse or neutral. At the time the truck only had a few thousand miles on it. It ended up being the shifter solenoid. The dealership had the truck for a day. I would take it in. My truck didn't throw any codes until it locked up in 4th gear and had to be towed.

yankeemike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 2015 2500 HD is having the same thing going on with the tranny . dealer says they cant find anything wrong . so drive it till it breaks i guess .

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Driving into work this AM the tranny shuddered as I went around a right 90*turn rolling on the gas. It’s done this every now and then since new (49,700 miles). Except this time it then downshifted to 1st gear. I immediately lifted for it to upshift. Shortly after I stopped for a red light. When it turned green the truck was bogged down .... I looked at the display and it was locked in 4th gear and NO CEL. At this point I was 1/4 mile from work and just continued there and parked it.

Any ideas? I haven’t tried starting it back up yet.

My commute is 20 miles of backroads. I don’t beat on it and the tranny temp was 203* when this occurred.
My '09 1500 did that. It's called LIMP MODE. Locks itself in 4th if the computer senses the engine and trans have spun at different speeds, like the trans is slipping. Do not ignore it. My trans had to be rblt.

Not 1st, 2nd or 3rd? No Trophy!

OP
OP
S

Soldier of The Law

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But since there was no CEL, and it reset after the truck was started back up there’s nothing a dealer will do unless it suffers a catastrophic failure or happens again and I bring it in while still locked in 4th.

Like I mentioned in my original post we have a hunting trip planned in March and I’m not comfortable driving it with this issue looming overhead.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
But since there was no CEL, and it reset after the truck was started back up there’s nothing a dealer will do unless it suffers a catastrophic failure or happens again and I bring it in while still locked in 4th.

Like I mentioned in my original post we have a hunting trip planned in March and I’m not comfortable driving it with this issue looming overhead.
Happened to me 4 times. 4th time, I had it towed to the dealer. They dicked around trying not to spend $$ on it cause the truck had 96,400. miles on the 100k warranty. Finally they "rebuilt" it. Came with a 10k mile warranty. At 102k it didn't feel right again. Like the engine was overpowering the trans/tq converter. Thats how it started. Got progressively worse fairly quick. Brought on by full throttle mashing the long skinny pedal. Traded it for the Abarth and began my 2 yr. mid life crisis at 100 + mph every day. Hope you have better luck brother.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Happened to me 4 times. 4th time, I had it towed to the dealer. They dicked around trying not to spend $$ on it cause the truck had 96,400. miles on the 100k warranty. Finally they "rebuilt" it. Came with a 10k mile warranty. At 102k it didn't feel right again. Like the engine was overpowering the trans/tq converter. Thats how it started. Got progressively worse fairly quick. Brought on by full throttle mashing the long skinny pedal. Traded it for the Abarth and began my 2 yr. mid life crisis at 100 + mph every day. Hope you have better luck brother.

PS: The tranny shudder you had. Did it feel like the entire rearend was coming apart and scare the ***** out of you? Mine did. Every time.