trans acts weird

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dakota1820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When the truck is cold and it doesn't do it but once in a while. You'll go to take off just after starting it and going and on the hill by my house it'll Rev a little before grabbing and going it's done it 3 times in the past 6 months has to be freezing outside with truck cold . If I take off in 1st on the collumn it doesn't do it. Fluid and filter were done 10-15k ago and fluid looks great. No leaks either. Any idea's guys? Its a 97 1500 318 2 wd
Thanks guys.

Catchin Zs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an 06 1500 5.7 Hemi, mine does the same. I reckon its just part of the procedure where the gears warm up

OP
OP
D

dakota1820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea after about 3 minutes its fine not even warmed up. Just like 100 degrees and its good.

MikesRammin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Generally with any automatic transmission expecially in cold weather they will slip for a bit. When you park your truck for the night all that hot fluid drains back to the pan now the next day when you go to take off all of the fluid needs to start flowing through again. Combine that with the fact that it's thicker cold then it would be hot. While cold fluid and hot fluid may feel close in thickness to us on our hands, it makes a big difference in the transmissios because all the little passage ways. I wouldn't shake a stick at it unless it does it when its hot. By no means am I an expert just something I learned over the years.

johnnyjaws98

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 ram 4x4
Engine
these trucks trans dont pump fluid in park only in drive and neturel and reverse when you start in morning put it in neturel for a few seconds and it will pump up the fluid

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
these trucks trans dont pump fluid in park only in drive and neturel and reverse when you start in morning put it in neturel for a few seconds and it will pump up the fluid

I have also been told this and according to the dealer we used to have in town he knew a lot about Dodge he said it helps long term to back in so when you start out in the morning you can drive out instead of backing out something to do with seals blowing easier in reverse.