Trans Trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moparmarcus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I hope I'm posting this in the right spot didn't see any forums specifically for transmissions. I have '99 1500 Sport with towing package, but I am not sure which trans I have.

Mine died last night and just wanted to check with you guys for known issues and thoughts. Here is what happened:

For the last week or so I have experienced a couple of unstable shifts and once the engine revved to about 3500rpm before a shift. Last night it lost power through the transmission and revved up until I got off the gas. It grabbed a couple of times and then finally I lost all throughput in both forward and reverse. I am thinking (hoping) it's just the torque converter. Any one have a similar experience? Thanks

Marc

steermaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Had the EXACT same problem, and you are right it was the TC, do yourself a favor and upgrade it since you need replacing anyways. I went with Circle D specialties but lots of manufacturers out there. The stock ones just don't seem to hold to well especially if you plan on doing a little modding in the future

OP
OP
M

moparmarcus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Thanks, Always good to get a little confirmation. I will be doing a lot of towing in the future so an upgrade is great a idea.

steermaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thanks, Always good to get a little confirmation. I will be doing a lot of towing in the future so an upgrade is great a idea.

Upgraded TC and a set of 4.10 or 4.56 gears will really wake up your towin life!

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
If the tq failed where do you think all its little burnt pieces went? Right in the tranny.

steermaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have a 454RFE and I must have gotten lucky, i just did the TC and it fixed my problems trans ran great for many years until i just had it rebuilt...not because of wear and tear but because i needed it to hold up to my build. not a bad idea though if you got the extra change...

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
With a TC failure bat enough to loose function completely a full rebuild is the right fix. Like merc said, all that crap just cycled through your trans. A piece of stator or tc clutch in the valve body will lead to serious problems and on top of that what caused it to fail? Tcc solenoid or valve? Low line pressure? Overheating? Who knows but whatever it is likely damaged the trans as well

OP
OP
M

moparmarcus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
uggh, So much for otpimism :)

JUst got back into town and will have to look at it this weekend. I'll let you guys know.

astorga

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
just got a 99-1500 and the trans is slipping this is my first dodge so i dont even know what kind of trans i have
how do i find out what trans i have so i can get another one maybe fix it

HELP PLEASE!!!!

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have the 46re. Pull the pan and change the fluid. The fluid is a good indicator of how much life your transmission has. If it's nice and sparkly, like it has pieces of glitter in it, start looking for a rebuild kit or another trans. Otherwise you may be able to adjust the bands according to the fsm and get a some more time out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk