Transmission cooler line slow leak, recomme dations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I noticed that one of the transmission cooler lines is slowly leaking near the radiator at the transition point between the metal and rubber line. It looks like mopar only sells the full assembly for 200$ and its discontinued. Was wondering what anyone else has used if you can just replace the rubber part? It looked like dorman makes some stuff but can it be trusted? I also saw people on youtube cutting the metal part off and replacing it with 2 worm clamps. Not sure if that's a good way to go either.

Attachments

• 20230319_200603.jpg
    20230319_200603.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 24

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it leaking from the crimped area? In my opinion you have 2 other options. It depends on if you have a second vehicle and how long your truck can be down. You can remove the lines and take them to a hose shop. They can cut out and replace the rubber hose with new crimps or you can have them make you custom lines. Dorman is usually a decent replacement.

OP
OP
A_mod_too_far

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it leaking from the crimped area? In my opinion you have 2 other options. It depends on if you have a second vehicle and how long your truck can be down. You can remove the lines and take them to a hose shop. They can cut out and replace the rubber hose with new crimps or you can have them make you custom lines. Dorman is usually a decent replacement.

Yes it is from the crimped area. It is my daily driver but I could line up a temp car if needed during repairs. I will look into what local shops I have around thanks.

Good to hear about the dorman, I wasnt sure if it was trustworthy or not. I had bought some dorman lug nuts and they rusted out within 3 months.

If you decide to cut it out and use hose, use transmission pressure hose (not fuel hose for instance) and spring clamps. Worm clamps will leak. OEMs use spring clamps because they maintain tension through the expansion and contraction as parts heat cycle.

Good info, much appreciated

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I cut those stupid crimps off and used trans hose, cut a little longer then stock and used 2 hard metal hose clamps, not that stainless steel as I find these tend to strip easier. I have a 3” BL on both trucks. Did it on both and no issues or leaks. My 11 had new lines put in when new trans was installed.