Coolant Leak at EGR Cooler-Coolant Line.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yorke2112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I'm new here, thought I would share an issue I had. I did a lot of searches and never found anything, so I figured I would post something that might help someone else.

I have a 2017 Ram 2500 6.4l, I pulled into a customers house and smelled coolant, looked under truck and it was pouring off the bell housing for the motor and transmission. Initially I though it was transmission fluid and just about had a heart attack. I eventually realized it was coolant, but could not determine where it was coming from. I pulled out the drive way and into the street to do more trouble shooting.

The truck sat for maybe 45 mins, when I started it back up, there was no leak, I drove to an auto parts place, topped off the coolant and finished my day monitoring the situation. I drove all day the next day, still no leak. Looking at the factory manual, there is an EGR Cooler under the Intake Manifold. I felt strongly that was my source and that for whatever reason the leak had temporarily plugged itself for the time being. Looking from underneath the truck, there were drips and coolant trails coming from the back of the motor up high.

I bought the seals for the intake manifold, pulled the intake manifold, which was a chore. And I didn't see what I thought I would see, which would be a bunch of baked coolant holding a line together. Thinking I was wrong, and about to replace intake manifold. I decided to pull the coolant hose off to inspect, and on the bottom of the coolant hose there was my leak, a small hole close to the fitting. I replaced both hoses, and re-installed everything. Anyway, if anyone has a similar problem as mine, I hope this helps.