Transmission cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
True. The '11 F150 EB I had would run the trans at 195 just normal driving. It'd hit 230-240 while towing.

No wonder that thing was a p.o.s.

Yeah, my grand prix hovers around 195-200 and thats with a 180 t-stat.lol

USNVet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been considering this for a while now as well. I have a 180F stat and it is very common for me to see 190F-205F temps with normal driving.

This was on just a quick ~3 mile drive to Lowes and back while spending about 30 minutes in the store...78F outside temp...

Attachments

• transtemp.jpg
    transtemp.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 64

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
8spd thats normal. I read from Ram engineer 190* is normal operating temp for trans.

6spd not so

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I know there are 8 speeds out there that come with the so called Tow Package that come with HD trans coolers. Which mine did not come with! I am curious exactly what temp these transmission temps run. I can't even find this HD Transmission cooler part #.

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7

Makin-Chips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500 Lonestar Hemi 5.7 CC 4X4
I know there are 8 speeds out there that come with the so called Tow Package that come with HD trans coolers. Which mine did not come with! I am curious exactly what temp these transmission temps run. I can't even find this HD Transmission cooler part #.

Syn, my 8 speed with the HD TOC stays around 177 ~ 178 degrees from 55 ~ 80 MPH. I haven't towed anything with significant substance yet. Hope this helps.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Syn, my 8 speed with the HD TOC stays around 177 ~ 178 degrees from 55 ~ 80 MPH. I haven't towed anything with significant substance yet. Hope this helps.

Ok now we are getting some where! Those temps are more like it! Now I need to find the part # and find one and see if the dealer can install it. Chips have you ever looked to see what it looks like and where it is actually located at?

Makin-Chips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500 Lonestar Hemi 5.7 CC 4X4
Ok now we are getting some where! Those temps are more like it! Now I need to find the part # and find one and see if the dealer can install it. Chips have you ever looked to see what it looks like and where it is actually located at?

The trans-rad seems to be mounted high in front of the eng-rad. I've only peaked thru plastic cover gaps though. The lines come in from the passenger side.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine

For whats its worth my 2014 5.7 Laramie was ordered with the tow package and stays around 175 when not towing. I cannot remember what it was towing but not much change I don,t think. Hope that helps.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
For whats its worth my 2014 5.7 Laramie was ordered with the tow package and stays around 175 when not towing. I cannot remember what it was towing but not much change I don,t think. Hope that helps.

I will bet all the Laramie models if equipt with the tow package on the window sticker was given all the needed accessories that should be included with Tow Package. The Bighorn/Express models were and are Hit & Miss which is ********!

I have read in the Tow Thread an owner received a so called HD 8HP70 as well as a HD Trans cooler on his Window Sticker! I didn't think to look to see if that was on a 2500/3500 diesel or Not.

IMO: Everything that is needed for towing should be included in the package at 1 extra price. I can understand a HD Transmission/Larger Brakes/HD Hitch/ ect would be an added price to the sticker & ordered with what is needed by the owner.
But at least give the standard package the added wire harness/Trans Cooler/Brake Controller/ Class IV Hitch.-->These 4 things are the most important and should be included in the basic tow package. {Mine Does Not}. But also my window sticker says nothing about a Tow Package.
It only shows-->Trailer Tow with 4 pin/7 pin harness-Class IV Hitch-3:92 axle- No Trans cooler or Brake controller. I should have payed more attention at the time of purchase. I will just have to add them myself.

Last edited:

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will bet all the Laramie models if equipt with the tow package on the window sticker was given all the needed accessories that should be included with Tow Package. The Bighorn/Express models were and are Hit & Miss which is ********!

I have read in the Tow Thread an owner received a so called HD 8HP70 as well as a HD Trans cooler on his Window Sticker! I didn't think to look to see if that was on a 2500/3500 diesel or Not.

IMO: Everything that is needed for towing should be included in the package at 1 extra price. I can understand a HD Transmission/Larger Brakes/ ect would be an added price to the sticker.
But at least give the standard package the added wire harness/Trans Cooler/Brake Controller/ ect.

I would have not thought about the tow package unless you brought it up. Had totally forgot about it. Tow package was on last three Rams all being Laramie's. One would think all tow packages are created equal to all Models of the 1500 Ram. The build sheet I have some place around here and will take a look for you see what we find?

******Looked at build sheet under optional Equipment: 8-Spd Auto 8HP70 Trans,Active Grille Shutters,Heavy Duty Transmission Oil Cooler,Heavy Duty Engine Cooling. All that is listed as optional. No part numbers of course.****

You can email Ram customer service and ask for a build sheet by giving them the Vin number of your truck. Look at standard equipment and optional. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Thank You! I will contact Steve my service mgr and ask him about the HD Trans cooler as well as the electronic brake controller that the original tow package should incorporate. I can get the OEM brake controller off of e-bay for $189-->But I don't know if the dealership will install it as well as install the programming for it. I could do an aftermarket controller but the install of these always looks like $hit! I much prefer the Clean/Stock look.

Maybe the HD cooler is something I can do myself if I can find the actual cooler and find out exactly were it goes.

Thanks again.

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thank You! I will contact Steve my service mgr and ask him about the HD Trans cooler as well as the electronic brake controller that the original tow package should incorporate. I can get the OEM brake controller off of e-bay for $189-->But I don't know if the dealership will install it as well as install the programming for it. I could do an aftermarket controller but the install of these always looks like $hit! I much prefer the Clean/Stock look.

Maybe the HD cooler is something I can do myself if I can find the actual cooler and find out exactly were it goes.

Thanks again.

I bought the Mopar BC off ebay and my local dealer installed it and programmed it. I had him do the tow mirrors at the same time. Also bought off ebay.

Reactions: SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I bought the Mopar BC off ebay and my local dealer installed it and programmed it. I had him do the tow mirrors at the same time. Also bought off ebay.

What did your dealership charge?

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Thanks again.

Your welcome. I have the BC it works quite well. I saw this in another thread on another site some time back and to My understanding your Truck is already programmed for the MOPAR BC its plug and play. Certain I saw that.

Reactions: SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
$180 off memory. Installed BC and programmed mirrors and BC. I had installed the mirrors.

Thank You! I have a couple of recalls I need to take care of as well. Trying to get everything gathered up and have it all done on one visit. Since the dealership is 3 hours away.

Thanks again fellas!

Now to find the part # for that HD Trans cooler.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thank You! I have a couple of recalls I need to take care of as well. Trying to get everything gathered up and have it all done on one visit. Since the dealership is 3 hours away.

Thanks again fellas!

Now to find the part # for that HD Trans cooler.

Any luck?

From what I can tell the trans cooler is part of the ac condenser. I was going to add a small 7" electric fan on a switch to that part of the cooler, and run it to increase flow. Wonder if there is some other way?

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you replace the OEM trans/ac condenser cooler yourself or do you need a shop that does AC work to do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine has major blockage and just burned up my new trans after 300 miles. I am hanging a Hayden cooler off it to get it home and ordered a new OEM cooler but wanted to see if I could install myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro