Transmission help needed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ic1334

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello,
Newbie here,
I recently bought a project 09 Ram 1500 crew cab 5.7. One of the issues it had was a bad trans, so i bought a low mileage used one from a place that specializes in Ram trucks. Everything looked fine, all the bolts lined up, the plugs all matched and snapped in with no problem. Everything went fine until i got to the last 2 pieces. The rubber support that bolts to the trans and the crossmember didn't match up.I had ream out 2 holes on the side to fit,the other 2 were fine.
Now I'm not sure if i got the right trans or how to tell if i did,but it is all back together. I didn't fill it yet or change the filter yet, but i noticed when i moved the shifter down to drive it showed a 4, not sure if thats because something wrong with it or because it has no fluid in it?

How do i tell if its the wrong trans and would the trans show gear 4 from low fluid?
Thanks
Eric

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am no expert here on transmissions so I am just guessing.

If the trans has a problem it will go into 4th gear, commonly called "limp mode". Maybe with no fluid the computer is detecting a problem and sending it to 4th.

Your trans should be a 545RFE transmission

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ could be -
Sounds like it could be a older transmission since you had to adjust the the bracketry on the crossmember a little bit. Someone with more knowledge should chime in shortly. When they go into limo mode I am not sure if they show the gear they drop to or not.

OP
OP
I

ic1334

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's what i found out. First the tranny came from an 2010 2500. Second the new filters and fluid didn't help or change anything.
My original trans wouldn't shift past second gear but it seemed normal in 1st and 2nd,this on is stuck in 4th,can't get it to move up or down.
I Checked power to the trans and its ok.Im getting 2 codes p0760 and p0882.
Next question would be, would the trans need to be reprogrammed or relearned.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
P0760 = Shift Solenoid C Malfunction
Possible causes: Hydraulic blockages obstructing fluid passages, defective shift solenoid, low or dirty/contaminated transmission fluid, internal transmission failure, broken PCM

P0882 = TCM Power Input Signal Low
Possible causes: Low battery voltage, an open/shorted circuit in the transmission control circuit

Either may cause "limp mode" (4th gear only), but P0882 is guaranteed to do so. I hope its just the solenoid causing both codes, as I've been told those are easy to replace if you are familiar with the transmissions.

OP
OP
I

ic1334

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was told by the dealer that i may have probs with the TCM after the swap and that it may need relearned.I tried to do a quick relearn with a Snap-On solus edge and it just kept saying error and wouldn't work.

theres just not a lot of info on swaps and i hate to tow it to the dealer.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was the trans from a 2500 the same as the 1500? I'd have thought it was different.

OP
OP
I

ic1334

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was the trans from a 2500 the same as the 1500? I'd have thought it was different.

according to the dealership, yes. all sensors and bolts lined up