Transmission shifting hard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Troutman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
I just purchased a clean 2001 Ram 2500SLT with a BD Performance transmission. Owner also installed a shift Mt but the transmission shifts hard. I’m told that’s the way they shift but I’m not convinced. It just doesn’t feel right.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
When I had my car tuned, they increased the line pressure in the transmission. This made it shift faster, but yes it was also a harder/snappier shift. Like driving a stick, the less time the clutch is slipping, the better for the life of the clutch, so the faster/harder you can make it (within reason) the better for the transmission.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the less time the clutch is slipping, the better for the life of the clutch, so the faster/harder you can make it (within reason) the better for the transmission.
Not so fast. Hard shifts are accomplished in a few ways. One is increasing line pressure. another is to modify the accumulator circuit. This circuit's job is to mitigate pressure spikes at shift points so as to preserve hardware. Splines, planetary gears, and sprags are casualties much sooner than stock.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
First, is it a diesel, and secondly is it tuned?

I had a 2000 bought new. The transmission was the weak sister in those for sure. I modded the engine and transmission and the engine still put out more torque than the trans could hold. I sold it.

A Coworker went the same way and kept his truck; he bought a new performance transmission about every 2-3 years. None held up.

Back when I was into that scene I was fortunate to have an honest conversation with a well known performance transmission builder. He informed me that most of what was sold as upgrading was not in fact better for longevity. He basically advised that if he built a transmission to hold up to the abuse, I wouldn’t like how it drove.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First, is it a diesel, and secondly is it tuned?

I had a 2000 bought new. The transmission was the weak sister in those for sure. I modded the engine and transmission and the engine still put out more torque than the trans could hold. I sold it.

A Coworker went the same way and kept his truck; he bought a new performance transmission about every 2-3 years. None held up.

Back when I was into that scene I was fortunate to have an honest conversation with a well known performance transmission builder. He informed me that most of what was sold as upgrading was not in fact better for longevity. He basically advised that if he built a transmission to hold up to the abuse, I wouldn’t like how it drove.
I had a Goerend built Trans in my 2005 cummins. Handled the abuse and towing for several years with zero issues before I traded it.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I had a Ford F-250 diesel that was tuned and had a modifed transmission accumulator...very hard shifts. Had the tuner put the line pressures back to "normal" and the transmission shifted firmly without the harshness.